Workout Results for Carnivore Diet

Options
So I’ve been on the carnivore diet since February. With little to no exercise, I managed to drop from 200+ lbs. to 172 lbs. With the busy season of my job closing, I’m starting up my workout regime in earnest again and I was wondering how the carnivore diet could affect my workout?

Tips, warnings, suggestions, and personal anecdotes would be welcome. I’m interested in your experience with the diet?

Also, I’m not a fanatic of this diet either. If there’s realistic limitations because of it then that’s alright. Spare not my feelings and tell me like it is.

Thanks,

Replies

• tvm1970
    tvm1970 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am interested in what you mean by a carnivore diet. Does that mean you only eat meat and animal products nothing else?

Disclaimer: I am vegan so have zero experience with a meat based diet.
  • Wulfhelm
    Wulfhelm Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    @tvm1970 that’s about the most of it. Meat, eggs, and dairy. Boring, but surprisingly efficient.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I love the Buff Dude's videos on their experiments with various diets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4OmsKEWC10

They both gave it a "No Flex."
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Depends to a degree what you mean by "workout" but a low carb diet is sub-optimal for supporting higher exercise performance.

Depending on type, intensity and duration of your exercise your diet may be an irrelevance or an impediment.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Depends to a degree what you mean by "workout" but a low carb diet is sub-optimal for supporting higher exercise performance.

Depending on type, intensity and duration of your exercise your diet may be an irrelevance or an impediment.

Pretty much this. It's suboptimal as compared to a diet with carbs, but you can gain strength if you still follow the principal of progressive overload.

But with that said, exercise is an important component of long term health and sustainment of weight loss
  • Wulfhelm
    Options
    @sijomial @psuLemon thanks! I was expecting the lack of carbs to be an issue for high intensity workouts but I’m primarily focusing on strength training. I have noticed a lack of energy yet but it’s something I’m curious about sense carbs are the big energy providers. Thanks for the advice!
  • Wulfhelm
    Options
    @psychod787 I honestly haven’t had much of an issue on that front but I’ve heard it’s an issue for a lot of others.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options