Bananas...

Options
Do you eat them? For me i eat around 3 a day. They are a great snack and energy booster. But i have a friend who is doing an intense exercise program and she has been told not to have bananas. Does anybody know why that is? And do you eat them and still lose weight?

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana smeared with peanut butter almost everyday for breakfast + I've lost weight = Bananas aren't the devil.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yes. A banana never made anyone fat. Your friend is misinformed :indifferent:
  • ghost15026
    Options
    Do you eat them? For me i eat around 3 a day. They are a great snack and energy booster. But i have a friend who is doing an intense exercise program and she has been told not to have bananas. Does anybody know why that is? And do you eat them and still lose weight?

You can lose weight by entirely eating Twinkies or Ruffles as long as you run a calorie deficit. You may not be healthy, but you'll definitely lose weight lol.

Bananas are fine. Portable energy pack. 100 calories, carbs, generous amount of potassium to help stay off cramps. They come in their own biodegradable wrapper. Cheap. Tasty. Easily appropriate for any type of runner, cyclist, or other endurance athlete.

If you're trying to manage carbs then 3 bananas a day can be problematic.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Well they are one of the five foods to never eat while dieting...
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have one banana a day, and that is alongside breakfast.
  • JL2513
    JL2513 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I love bananas and they are great pre-and post-workout snacks, but will only eat them in the earlier part of the day. 5 pm onwards, I am hesitant to eat them. I don't know why, but in the past, eating bananas in the evening has made me gain weight and I haven't done it since. Once I reach my goal and am in maintenance mode, I'll try incorporating them into the evenings, but for now, I steer clear of them after late afternoon.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    One a day for me!
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options

According to whose rules? If eating bananas works, don't argue with it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Everyone knows that bananas are largely responsible for the obesity epidemic.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I love them and usually eat 1 every day, but they are high in sugar and carbs. Perhaps that is why your friend was told to avoid them.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

LOL you missed the sarcasm font........there's a banner ad that shows up frequently that, supposedly, lets us in on the secret of what 5 foods never to eat and the image in the banner is a banana.

To the OP - whoever told you friend to avoid bananas is probably promoting a low carb diet. Personally, I love bananas and usually eat two a day......
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

I usually eat a banana before going out for a run. Bananas give quick bursts of energy and are an excellent Potassium source.

Providing you account for the calories in your diary, yes you can still lose weight. Bananas are around 90 calories for a medium sized one to 110 calories for a large banana.

Regarding your friend being told not to have bananas, I don't know why that would be, unless she is on a diet like the Atkins, I think I remember somebody telling me that when on the Atkins diet, bananas are not allowed.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    They are high in sugar and, for some, that could impede weight loss.

3/day seems like quite a bit, but if it's working for you, keep it up.
    If you're having difficulty losing weight, maybe look at dropping to 1 or 2 per day to see if it helps at all.

Personally, I do best when I limit my sugar and carbs, so I eat them sparingly.
  • appifanie
    appifanie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I will never believe in a diet/food plan that calls any kind of fruit "bad."
    Everyone knows that bananas are largely responsible for the obesity epidemic.

I love sarcasm :D
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

That's certainly strong logic, lot's of things work for weight loss, doesn't mean they're good for you
  • ghost15026
    Options

It's because they are so energy dense. Pure carbs. Good idea for 1 hour+ cardio days, not a good idea for sedentary days.

3 bananas = 300 calories (about 2-3 hours of cardio).

If you struggle with keeping a calorie deficit, bananas would be a bad idea. They're not good for satiety, either.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Once in a while, but I don't overdo it (plus I don't like them too ripe or not ripe enough so it's a pain anyway).
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    had one as a snack this morning with a tablespoon of justin's maple almond butter. yum!