Celebrating my First Milestone!

cymande1961
cymande1961 Posts: 45 Member
edited July 2021 in Success Stories
[Fair warning: this is a long post. I'm sorry for those it might bore, but truthfully I'm writing it for me, as a marker of my success. And I've never been short-winded, as my late mother would confirm. Feel free to skip if time is a premium for you.]

18 weeks ago, I was in an emotional tailspin after 2 of my doctors said that I should get bariatric surgery because "you're not making any progress" and "it will change your life!" I even agreed to meet with the bariatric surgeon (and did; to her credit she was so honest about post-surgery life and the downside that nobody talks about that it merely reaffirmed my strong feelings that I did not want it, full stop.)

18 weeks ago, knowing all that I already knew about why I was morbidly obese (135 pounds more than the chart said I "should weigh" and 110 pounds more than I, as a Black woman, wanted to weigh -- because I'm not giving up my badonkadong for anything :D. My weight gain had not been from excess food consumption in terms of quantity - indeed, my adult children were saying that I wasn't eating enough. It had been, instead, from an extremely sedentary life and personal food choices that were and are extremely satisfying, extremely caloric, and while delicious were very likely to put on pounds if eaten all the time.

So, 18 weeks ago, I decided "F those MFers!" I said to myself in that Brooklyn voice that comes out when I'm most stubborn and most determined to prove a point. I knew that no matter what assumptions are made about overweight and obese people in terms of stuffing our faces all day, I knew why I'm overweight. I decided that I was going to prove that they are wrong about why (i.e. eating too much food) as it related to ME. So, after a lot of tears and anger at both my doctors and--most crucially--myself for letting things get to the place they were, I decided to focus on what one of them had said during my last visit:

Even losing 10% of my then-weight of 260 (at 5'3" /sigh) would make a real difference in my diabetic and blood pressure health markers, which is what concerned my primary care physician the most.

Yet I knew myself and know myself, now almost 60 trips around the sun. I have a firm, unmovable bug up my butt about deprivation. [Childhood created, and yes I'm working with a therapist on it!] So, when people tell me "you can't", I get my Brooklyn-ghetto-born Black woman back up. I get passive aggressive AND aggressive, i.e. "F Y'all MFers".

This is a great mindset for my now 30-year long successful career as a lawyer at times. Not so much, however, for weight loss.

So I decided two things.

First, I gave myself grace: I told myself that it had taken me 40+ years to go from a healthy weight of 130 when I first came to college as a 17-year old to the weight I was on March 8, 2021, so if it took me 2 or 3 years to take it off then that was perfectly fine *no matter what anyone else said.* I would affirmatively refuse to lose weight fast *just because everyone else wanted me to*.

Second, I decided that since deprivation is a major psychological trigger for me, I wouldn't deprive myself. Full stop. I would eat exactly what I wanted to eat - but that I would focus on mindfully focusing on and enjoying my good, and reducing the caloric load of each meal by small reductions in portion size. I would again start recording everything, no matter how "small", that went into my mouth. I would up my physical activity from basically zero no matter what my work load and life load (I'm raising a grandson day-to-day) looked like. And I'd drink more water.

I downloaded the Weight Watchers app, not to stick to program (I chose Blue) but to make recording easier. Every day, I reminded myself that I was not doing Weight Watchers, I was doing "Not Weight Watchers." So, if I was at points one day, great. If I was over, great as long as I knew exactly why.

Of course, me being a problem solving control freak at my best, even though I wasn't "on Weight Watchers" I started making small differences in my choices, day by day. Most of them just happened, after I'd do my weekly weigh in and see that I had lost a pound or so. Next thing I knew, I was actively managing my choices.

But since I refused to, and refuse to, feel deprived, I quite unexpectedly soon found myself recipe hacking - shaving off 10 and 20% of the calories in a normal recipe through substitutions of/reductions in the fats and sugars and amount of meats called for. I discovered that I missed none of those hacked-away recipe calories. Portions got easy because I was measuring. I needed the reminders that having only a cup of something isn't deprivation, it's actually quite substantial. It's enough. Having three bites of a pie or a cake or a mousse was all I needed to feel that it was enough. Although if I want the whole slice or serving, that's OK too - as long as it's not what I do all the time. And yes, my macaroni and cheese is still the best in California in my opinion -and still bloody delicious even though it's now a 400 calorie dish instead of 600.

Oh yeah, I also started exercising. Tried pilates with the reformer machine. Got reminded quickly that I'm 59, not 29 and could barely walk for a week. So I started going back to the gym instead.

In May, I realized that I was increasingly resentful about how much WW's point system penalizes certain foods (carbs, fats and sugars) matter how de minimis. I knew where my resentment was heading. I knew that I would just stop if the resentment kept building. Because "F those MFers". (I confess that don't love myself enough to care about a shortened lifespan or any of those things that doctors and family members use to motivate patients; I just want to be happy after working so hard all my life). So, after seeking out some WW groups to commiserate/whinge about this, I discovered that a lot of folks on WW were also using MyFitnessPal. I downloaded the app 40 days or so ago.

MFP confirmed that, yes, WW was being punitive because its points totals said that I was overeating when I went over points yet MFP said that I was eating a healthy number of calories (even too little, some days - twice it wouldn't let me publish my food diary!) and even getting good nutrients each day. The resentment quickly went back into its hidey hole. Its absence is what kept me focused on the small, up and down, life changes and movement on the scale.

Through all of this my goal, and my ONLY goal, was to lose the 10% of my body weight that my primary care physician said would make a health difference. However long it took. I said that I would work to hit this first goal by my birthday in late August.

I hit my goal this morning. I have gone in 18 weeks from 260.1 pounds on March 8 to 233.5 today. 26.6 pounds gone.

After I got done bursting into tears of happiness, I did two things. First I gave glory to God for giving me the strength to prove to MYSELF that I could truly change my relationship with food. Proving that I didn't need to have a stomach the size of banana to be healthy, I just needed me and the same approach I've given to everything else in my life: all in, but always in control. I thanked Him because for the first time I truly felt in my heart it wasn't too late for me, this grandmother, to get healthy (no matter what that ultimate healthy weight is.)

The second thing I did was celebrate my own effort and commitment to this journey. I have consciously lost more weight since March than I have ever lost in my life with two exceptions: (1) the year following my divorce from my children's father during which the genuine insanity (not hyperbole, trust me; my late ex-husband became psychotic and brought everything that went with it to the table) left me brutally depressed and suicidal and 40 pounds lighter; (2) after I had a severe diverticular rupture in 2012 that, with life threatening secondary infections, landed me in the hospital with major gastric surgery and living on an IV for 3 solid weeks.

I much prefer losing weight this way, for the record. ;)

Oh, and in my bloodwork last week, my A1C had plummeted from 6.8 to 6.4 (I'd been on Metformin for a year and it had done nothing) and my blood glucose dropped from 138 to 106. My systolic blood pressure is even down an average 5 points. I got a note from my doctor noting that things had improved and that my blood work looked good (right now, she doesn't know why; it's a surprise for my annual exam in October LOL).

I have no next goal right now. I'm just going to celebrate and try to maintain for a week or two before taking on the next challenge. I'm going to focus on getting my exercise more consistent, because work continues to kick my *kitten* right now with a trial coming up. It is still harder than I would like to make myself do SOMETHING even if it's a walk around the block every day.

And I'm going to keep reminding myself that I may be old, I may be tired, but damnit when I want something I not only can have it, I am entitled to want it just.for.ME.

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• Spotteddingo
    Spotteddingo Posts: 95 Member
    Thank you for your post! I just hit 25# but it took me 6 months to get here. You are doing a great job!
  • cymande1961
    edited July 2021
    Thank you for your post! I just hit 25# but it took me 6 months to get here. You are doing a great job!

Congratulations on the great loss! And thanks for the kind feedback!
  • BendableButMendable
    BendableButMendable Posts: 60 Member
    You deserve to be very proud of yourself, not only for the weight loss and the positive effects it is already having on your health, but also because you had the courage to face the personal issues that led to the weight gain and could prevent your success.

It is easy for people to make excuses and find any and all reasons to avoid committing to weight loss (or any betterment of self) because accountability can be a scary and sometimes even shameful thing, I know it was for me. That you were willing to take a hard look at your life and identify not only the habits and issues (both big and small) that led to where you were but also your own potential reactions that could stop you from reaching your goals is inspirational.

I congratulate you on your strength and success, I thank you for sharing it with everyone here, and I'm happy that you are now healthier and will have a longer and better life to spend with your grandson and the rest of your family.
  • Jenpec98
    Jenpec98 Posts: 49 Member
    I am so stinikin proud of you!!! I know your doctor is going to be proud of you too. Slow and steady wins the race. I'd love to be part of your support group if you'll have me. You are a rockstar!!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    You're an inspiration! Congratulations!
  • eminater
    eminater Posts: 2,477 Member
    Wow, I really enjoyed reading that. I felt I could relate to it in many places and you are so good at articulating your journey! You're an inspirational and amazing women.
  • Sixteen_Tons
    Sixteen_Tons Posts: 61 Member
    [

So, when people tell me "you can't", I get my Brooklyn-ghetto-born Black woman back up. I get passive aggressive AND aggressive, i.e. "F Y'all MFers".

And I'm going to keep reminding myself that I may be old, I may be tired, but damnit when I want something I not only can have it, I am entitled to want it just.for.ME.

Thanks for reading!

Indeed! A tremendous accomplishment! I like the Brooklyn girl.

For me it's a drunk, drug addicted, womanizing merchant seaman who's not afraid to say 'Put em up, I can kick all your *kittens*!'. Usually just before getting the *kitten* kicked out of him by what can only be described as King Kong's older brother. He's my bad example, as well as my strength. He crawled out of his rack every day and did his job. Later, he quit shipping out, he cleaned himself up, went back to school, and became a successful Engineer, husband, and father. He's still with me today 30 years later and he's not afraid to say ' get your sagging *kitten* in gear, you're not gonna give up.' when I start thinking somethings to hard.

Cherish the girl, she's one that can'kick *kitten* and take names'.

Once again, keep rolling forward, you've made a big dent, it only get's better from here.

• ginamyrmel
    ginamyrmel Posts: 70 Member
    Love, love, love your post. You have the stubbornness I have found in myself. My 70 pound year-long weight loss journey has been fabulously difficult, but encouraging and has taught me to love myself again. This is for me and while my hubby and sister are enjoying it with me, it has taken my kickass self to get it done.
  • cymande1961
    Jenpec98 wrote: »
    I am so stinikin proud of you!!! I know your doctor is going to be proud of you too. Slow and steady wins the race. I'd love to be part of your support group if you'll have me. You are a rockstar!!

Sure thing! Just friend me because I can't figure it out on this phone app lol!
  • KelpieLass
    KelpieLass Posts: 24 Member
    I LOVE this post. Congrats on your success! <3
  • LynneM1980
    LynneM1980 Posts: 103 Member
    I love this post!! Thank you so very very much!! I'm considering the surgery myself and I love to hear that people can do great without it. I love your attitude towards food too!! Deprivation just kicks wind!
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited July 2021
    Yay! Doing a happy dance for you over here! I love your story! It was such a struggle and you proved to yourself that it can be done! YEEESSSSSS!!!!

Your NY attitude and spirit helped you get through it and I'm proud of you! I've got the same attitude.

The important thing is to make the changes a lifestyle change and not to feel deprived. Just swap out the unhealthy stuff for healthier ones and be mindful of portion sizes. Drinking more (hopefully filtered) water is helpful.

As you discovered, you can lose weight at any age. Age is mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

I'm so glad that you found MFP and it made life easier than WW. I avoided WW because I didn't like the point system. MFP is free and really works. It helped me out also so I have stuck with it for ten years and hope you will too.

Congrats!

• minbariGirl
    minbariGirl Posts: 1 Member
    Congratulations!

Coincidentally, my husband and I decided to ditch WW on June 30th and keep track of calories only through MFP. I started back early March on WW, and after 2 weeks I had a feeling that I was not eating enough food. After restarting my MFP account, I saw that I was barely eating 1100 calories a day! So I started using MFP as a gauge to make sure I was eating enough calories, while still keeping to my points.

I get it...this past week I felt done! I am thankful for WW, as it helped me work on making better food choices and get back to tracking portions and servings. I felt I needed to graduate to more flexibility with my food choices. With this I am still losing weight. 21lbs down and feeling a whole lot better. Like you, I am will be getting my blood work in a few weeks and I look forward to better numbers!

Keep up the good work and I wish you continued success to your next milestone!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    You have GOT this! Take it home!!
  • DarlaJL82
    DarlaJL82 Posts: 58 Member
    Good for you!!!
  • Nikki542687
    Nikki542687 Posts: 47 Member
    Way to go! Your progress is truly amazing - not just in the pounds lost but also from the other health aspects. Like you, I struggle with weight related health issues and I look forward to the day that I see my progress pay off on a lab report (and be free of HBP meds).

Sending you a friend request, if you don't mind. Your post was just so relatable and I think I need a friend like you! :smile:
  • cymande1961
    Way to go! Your progress is truly amazing - not just in the pounds lost but also from the other health aspects. Like you, I struggle with weight related health issues and I look forward to the day that I see my progress pay off on a lab report (and be free of HBP meds).

Sending you a friend request, if you don't mind. Your post was just so relatable and I think I need a friend like you! :smile:

I don't mind at all! I too hope to be free from all these dang meds =)
  • Autumnseer
    Autumnseer Posts: 9 Member
    Oh girl, what a GREAT post. And believe me, be glad you didn't get that surgery. My colleague's husband has been to hell and back with post op problems and a second surgery to now remove his entire stomach, not just getting the sleeve which was the original plan. A doctor had told him he would never lose the weight by himself. Not true!! How dare he say that? I have over 100# to lose and have been on endless diets in my 61 years. But this time it's different. This time I'm doing it healthy, slow and steady, not giving up even when the scale doesn't want to budge for a bit, eating lots of veggies and starting to exercise. From my highest weight I'm 20 lbs down. I still have a long way to go, but we got this!
  • PSMeeker
    PSMeeker Posts: 8 Member
    I read every word of it!! This is fantastic. I too have circled the sun over 60 times and like you, I plan on circling it by improving my health. I hope everyone reads what you've written.
  • g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 145 Member
    I am so proud of you and I hope you give yourself daily pats on the back❤ for your progress!

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!