Your Best Anti-Trigger Food Strategies?

MsCzar
MsCzar Posts: 1,069 Member
edited July 2021 in Motivation and Support
Often, a food may not be an issue in and of itself; but when encountered in situ, can become an irresistible temptation, e.g. movie theater popcorn, candy floss at the local fête, break-room pizza or doughnuts etc. What has worked for you when encountering the anomalous treat?

I can effortlessly keep cheese, biscuits and chocolate in my kitchen and manage to enjoy them in moderation without exceeding my calorie budget. But place those exact same items outside of my home and it's Game ON! I'm still figuring out why foods (even 'healthy' foods) easily eschewed or carefully limited at home become such an issue the second I leave the house.

Any helpful insights?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,703 Member
    I've learnt to only eat treats if I really like them. Why waste calories on for example a mediocre piece of cheap pie just because it's available, when I know I could have something better later on at home?

For me, I've also found it's easier to take nothing than to try and moderate, especially when there is no good way to take a portion. If I can use a small plate or bowl to take the portion I want, especially if I can move away from the original food source, I can moderate quite well. But when there's for example a big sharing bowl of something and no small bowls available... One handful of popcorn will turn into two, three, four... A few potato chips will turn into a few handfuls. etc. In that case, I just don't take any at all and tell myself I can have a snack at home at the end of the day if I have calories left.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Breakroom food doesn't really get me anymore...most of what comes through our breakroom in terms of doughnuts or cookies or whatever are either commercial or grocery store brand items and over the years I've just become much more picky about quality.

For other things like fair foods (I'm assuming that's what fete means), movies, etc...that stuff is so rare for me that I don't concern myself with it and just do what I want.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    None of these are an issue for me...

"...movie theater popcorn (the butter upsets my stomach), candy floss at the local fête (my teeth feel like there's a fuzzy coating on them after eating it), break-room pizza (have other people's hands have been on it) or doughnuts (are they the plain ones from Tim Hortons and ... have other people's hands been on it)"

Anomalous treats. Treats in the wild. Going about life. I mean...I just log it, go about my day and adjust - if needed - over the course of the week via nutrition and exercise.

I figure some extra calories are expended based on my apparently random food anxieties 🤷🏿‍♀️ (No, but seriously...cotton candy doesn't fuzz up anyone else's teeth?!)
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited July 2021
    If it's a festival or fair or movie, I just eat the food. It's part of my planning for the 'event/outing'. Same with going to my mom's house the whole 2-3 times a year I go, or vacations.

Something like a breakroom, or cafeteria setting though?

The only thing that works for me is already having food on me and in place, that I sincerely enjoy. Maybe not AS much as the the thing in the cafeteria, but I need to have food I LIKE right there, that I already paid for and prepared.

When faced with free food, this is just 'wasting' the food/money and time I spent it. When it's a cafeteria it's that PLUS paying more for different food. Both of these are offensive enough to my sensibilities that I will eat what I have, thanks.

If I have nothing and know I have nothing - including a plan - I will eat anything that isn't nailed down.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Breakroom food doesn't really get me anymore...most of what comes through our breakroom in terms of doughnuts or cookies or whatever are either commercial or grocery store brand items and over the years I've just become much more picky about quality.

For other things like fair foods (I'm assuming that's what fete means), movies, etc...that stuff is so rare for me that I don't concern myself with it and just do what I want.

Also this.

I still like a whopper or reese's cup, but counting my calories has made me a freaking snot. If I'm going to spend calories on it, and only have it rarely, it needs to be better than mediocre.
  • MsCzar
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    (No, but seriously...cotton candy doesn't fuzz up anyone else's teeth?!)

I could inhale cotton candy all day every day. We're talkin' non-stop mass quantity action! :D

I guess I am trying to get at the 'why' of food location being such a tripping stone. Maybe it doesn't matter and I'm overthinking this. All during lockdown, there were Reese's and other goodies in my pantry that gathered dust. But offer that same Reese's outside the home and woe to anyone in my way!

I'm not at all germ-phobic - so no help there. I like the idea of using a delaying tactic. I know there will be no hope of the snacks ever being gone, but resisting for X amount of time might just help develop those resistance muscles. At present, I have all the impulse control of a cranky toddler.

I bought some strongly flavoured coconut/ginger hard candies at 23 calories each that may also help with the delay strategy. The 'away food' challenge is what sunk my previous attempts at avoiding a regain. I am determined to not let that happen again.

Anyone had any luck with aroma therapy?
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,517 Member
    Does it have to do with the office food being free? The same people who were pawing over the donuts in my office were the first in line anytime there was free food. It’s a big deal to a lot of people. It’s almost an obligation to eat when it’s free.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    Bunco is my downfall. Always lots of rich treats, and usually a big bowl of M&Ms (my particular historical weakness) and candied pecans on every table.

Last time I took a huge insulated mug of homemade low cal chai latte. It’s sweet and satisfying and I was good til it ran out, which was a while since it stayed so hot. I also made a giant pot of air popped popcorn. Not especially low cal potentially, in that quantity, but it beats the alternative.

My problem is impromptu meals out. I’m decent checking a menu beforehand, but the last minute “hey let’s go get some ‘cue” wipes out my calories, and when I see stuff like fried okra or fried green tomatoes on the menu, it’s all over.
  • MsCzar
    edited July 2021
    88olds wrote: »
    Does it have to do with the office food being free?

That's probably part of it. Pricey or exotic foods definitely draw my attention. On my most recent work day, I had a huge sushi platter for lunch and still managed to scarf down SIX wedges of good cheese along with cashews, two mini KIND bars and a few Medjool dates. I did manage not to eat anything after work, but even with better choices than I've made in the past, it still felt totally out of control.

springlering62, were there M&Ms available, I'd have definitely had those as well. Meals out completely undo me.

• Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I've actually found by mentally telling myself I CAN have anything I want to, it's all just a matter of priorities and choices, it takes that stress off of feeling like I have to avoid something. It also helps me by not completely avoiding it all together by keeping some in the house so it doesn't feel like a forbidden food. It's kind of like what you hear about kids whose parents never allowed junk food in the house: as soon as they go to someone else's house they want ALL the junk!

I also think it's like anything else you want to get better at: it just takes practice saying "no" to all those treats. Since I've been choosing healthier foods more often, I've become choosier about what I eat. Do I really like most donuts or cheap candies? They're ok, but not great. Is it really worth it? No, but if I decide I do really want it, I'll make room. I have been doing this a long time now that it actually has become more like second nature to me...which is weird for me to think about, because I definitely didn't used to be like this.

The thing is, I generally feel like crap after I eat a donut, like I need a nap. I have digestion issues and other stuff that some foods exacerbate, so I have REALLY been paying attention to how foods make me physically feel. I prefer feeling more energetic and like I'm satisfied but not full and tired.

Everyone is different in how they're able to handle those trigger foods. I think the biggest thing that would help anyone is just being more mindful with eating--starting before you even pick up the food. It's definitely a work in progress for me, as being mindful in all aspects of my life is something I definitely struggle with.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Countmyday wrote: »
    “my body is not a garbage can”

What a great attitude, that is going to be my motto today!

I think for me it’s the idea that because it was an unexpected or “found in the wild” treat, it’s an excuse (and also a little thrilling) to splurge. This post has helped me think of a way to combat that.

My new plan: EXPECT to be tempted whenever I go out or to the office. Takes a little of the fun out of it.

I'm glad I helped!

Once I encountered the concept I've been able to put it to use more often than I'd really like to admit, tbh. But it's effective! If it comes down to either I eat this thing-I-wasn't-planning-on now or it gets thrown away, I've slowly, gradually, become more OK with throwing it away. Because I'm not a garbage can and I shouldn't compare myself to one. If I eat something and didn't need the calories, it's just as much gone to waste in my body as it is in the trash - it helps no one, and actually hurts someone if I eat it (i.e, me - my goals and my health matter, too), whereas just tossing it helps exactly the same number of people but hurts no one. So, throwing it out is actually better overall.

It's a well-documented phenomenon that people, broadly speaking, hate to lose more than they love to win, and missing opportunities feels like losing. It's a psychology thing that was probably useful once upon a time, out on the Eurasian steppe or the African savannah, but now it mostly just makes us do dumb **** like decide to eat a cupcake we don't need just because someone told us they were there. We didn't know about the cupcake five minutes ago, but now *not* eating the cupcake feels like losing out on something.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    For me, "out of sight, out of mind" is a really important strategy. For parties and social gatherings, I'll spend most of my time in an area where most of the food is not, or if it's several places sprinkled throughout, I'll pick a spot to sit or stand where it's out of my sightline or otherwise inconvenient to get to. I'll slowly sip a glass of water or have something else to keep in my hands, too. I generally plan for one plate and one drink, and I'm getting better about those not being right away when I get there.

I agree with others that grocery store bagels, etc. have become not worth it to me in most cases. But last week I had a meeting where I didn't plan on eating, but it went late (past a meal I had planned to eat at home) and there was lots of food left, so I assembled a reasonable plate and it worked out to about the same number of calories as I had planned at home (I did have to estimate, but I was OK with that.)

I find having a flexible plan works well.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    edited July 2021
    “my body is not a garbage can”

I literally thought this today. I threw away half a cake that was in the fridge. I just got so sick of it consuming my thoughts. "I hope I don't make myself binge on that." "I'm so excited to eat that cake later." "cake cake cake cake" like a background program just running in my mind. I could feel myself getting jittery and anxious about when I could have it. Just, ugh.

I finally just got up and threw it away..,and then dumped a bunch of salt on top of it in the trash for good measure (it was a VERY powerful cake :) ).

My body is not a garbage can. @goal06082021 is completely right. Whether it goes in the trash or it goes in me, the cake is still gone, but the difference between the two is that one hurts me and the other doesn't.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,945 Member
    I visualize myself stepping on the scales and not having lost weight, and ask myself if that food is worth that feeling of frustration? It's pretty much always a no....

I do the same.

It also helps that I’m allergic to pepper, gluten intolerant, and lactose intolerant.
    Makes saying no to everything but fruit pretty easy.