Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is the U.S. Government about to try and tackle the Obesity Epidemic?

Options

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    Japan has an obesity rate of 4%, the US has a morbid obesity rate of 8%.

Also who prevents anyone from walking? You can choose to walk or you can choose not to walk. If you live in a big city, it's often better to walk instead spending so much money on a car.

Are we saying there's a culture that is against walking ? :D It's an individual choice, I think.

Edit : And yes individualism vs collectivism is the most important aspect.

No doubt that walking in a larger city is easier. Compared to Japan, America is far more spread out. I live in a rural area, and for me to walk to the store would be nearly 9 miles round trip. So, we have a car culture. In a more urban environment, Japanese walk to public transport, to the market... ect ect. Yes, there is a culture against walking in America... Just look at the people who stand on an escalator vs. taking the stairs. The stairs would be quicker sometimes, yet many choose to not take them. Watch people trying to get a parking spot at a store, many will drive around for a good while until they find a "close" spot. If they had just parked further away, they would have been in the store quicker. So yes, there is a culture against physical activity in America......

Never mind the store, how about the people that do that *kitten* at the gym?

Personally I look for where the furthest car is parked, then park 100 ft. further away. Hate door dings on my vehicles.

Yup... then the ultimate irony is many then get on a treadmill to walk.... fml...🤦‍♂️
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Also who prevents anyone from walking? You can choose to walk or you can choose not to walk. If you live in a big city, it's often better to walk instead spending so much money on a car.

Are we saying there's a culture that is against walking ? :D It's an individual choice, I think.

I’m not American but I’m sure you guys have similar problems with most places being super inaccessible for walkers and cyclists. We have no separate bike lanes in most places and a lot of drivers are very aggressive towards cyclists. A lot of more rural areas don’t even have footpaths or streetlights!

Where I live (midsized US city, Great Lakes state) there are many areas that are both reasonable safe to walk (crime-wise and traffic-wise), with reasonable facilities for walking (sidewalks, cut curbs, pedestrian signals at intersections, etc.) . . . and very nearly no one walking. That's true even in areas where residential areas are fairly close to business areas (i.e., within a few-block radius). Hardly anyone walks, as a form of transportation. In commercial (detached mall type) areas, it's common to see someone drive a car across the parking area from one store to another, maybe a hundred or two meters, rather than parking and walking across the lot, even when most people aren't buying un-carry-able things.

Why? I'm sure it's complicated. But I think it's not a walking culture, as a generality.

I get that it's part of the "culture" but it doesn't mean you have to conform to that culture. You can choose to walk and live for yourself.

It's the same here, but I choose not to conform to a silly car culture.

By "you", I assume you meant "people" or the generic "one"? I walk for transport more than average here. Currently, it's an 8+ mile round trip to the nearest grocery store. When I lived in a place where it was less than a mile, it seemed viable to do 40-50 pounds of groceries with an ash pack basket, and I did. At age 65, that's sadly more than I'm up for, at 8-ish miles. Smaller loads, on a bike, or to a closer convenience store walking, sure. I do try to organize so that groceries are on route home from more distant things, to save the resources.

Do more while you can, and it'll help you do more, longer, for sure.
    Yikes there is a couple tons of ableism here in this conversation.

I, too, took the conversation in the recent posts to be about the generally able-bodied. Clearly, IMO, community transportation systems ought to account for varied abilities. Generalities tend to be about the general population, which is fortunate and able-bodied.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,426 Member
    Options
    I live in a rural state that ranks 49th in mental health care. I also live where competent medical care may require going out of state. My small town is considered a food desert despite living in a rural area. My state also pays out the lowest medicare reimbursement rates and has a huge lack of doctors and medical facilities.
    Speaking as a diabetic/ kidney disease disability recipient, I had very little access to health care until received disability. I hope that medicare will cover semaglutide. It is relatively safe and the most effective drug to date. It does not require medical staff to administer it and is currently being used in 2 diabetes medications.
    Obesity is a chronic relapsing condition. I am not sure how much obesity programs can focus on the myriad mental health conditions that express themselves in weight gain or how we can encourage people to change habits established over a lifetime. A sin tax may prove helpful but why stop at fast food when grocery and convenience stores are full of unhealthy options.
    Most people on medicare are older with multiple health problems that limit mobility and not likely to engage in vigorous physical activity. Programs that encourage social interaction with gentle physical activity and education along with medications would prove more effective in this demographic.
    And before you tell me that you lost your weight the only correct way and that I should, too. I lost 96 pounds in 2010-2012, then had a change in circumstances, regained the weight and have lost 80 pounds since last March. There is no one correct approach to weight loss or maintenance that fits everyone. I had to have financial and mental health counseling before I could lose weight the second time. Will I be able to continue to lose or maintain I do not know. Will I relapse to some extent, that is an almost certainty. Will help be available for me again, more likely now that on disability but not a given.
    As for other demographics, a decent minimum wage, early nutrition exposure and education for children and adults and the return of physical education programs available to all children during and after school may slowly change the coming generations along with a crackdown on misinformation on the internet and media regarding diet and obesity.

plfqrii7v7df.jpeg
    THANK YOU!

Mind if I send you a friend request?
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Came by this today. https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/596/text?r=5&s=1
    I wonder if this passes, what the reaction will be?

If the government (aka Congress) could not "tackle" the Covid-19 epidemic, masks wearing, quarantine and vaccination, I doubt it that they would pass any bill to tackle obesity. I hope that I am wrong.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Came by this today. https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/596/text?r=5&s=1
    I wonder if this passes, what the reaction will be?

I don't think this is as big a change as you think it is. I haven't actually read the underlying legislation that would be modified, but this certainly reads as though various treatments to address obesity are already eligible for coverage by program(s) under the Social Security Act, and this bill would merely expand the kinds of medical professionals who can be paid for providing those services, IF the patient is referred to them by a physician or primary care provider, AND IF the service is provided on-site (doctor's office, hospital out-patient, or community facility) -- which frankly seems like a step back after a year in which we learned that various health services can be provided remotely (video chats, etc.). It also apparently makes some modification to when certain obesity drugs can be covered, but I'm too lazy to go look at the underlying statute to suss that out.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    I'm in for a 30% tax on fast food. Put it directly into the Medicare/Medicaid system.

There IS help. Remaining ever-the-victim is a personal decision.

Wouldn't it be better and more cost-effective to put the revenues from the fast food tax into providing healthy, ready-to-eat food and safe exercise spaces for low-income people? Instead of letting them suffer the bad health outcomes and then pay to treat chronic diseases and emergency recurring situations resulting from the chronic diseases?
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,426 Member
    Options
    I'm in for a 30% tax on fast food. Put it directly into the Medicare/Medicaid system.

Wouldn't it be better and more cost-effective to put the revenues from the fast food tax into providing healthy, ready-to-eat food and safe exercise spaces for low-income people? Instead of letting them suffer the bad health outcomes and then pay to treat chronic diseases and emergency recurring situations resulting from the chronic diseases?

When I lived in BC I noticed there were exercise areas in practically every park. Chin-up bars. Balance beams. Running tracks. It was really nice. Every neighborhood had such a park in easy walking distance.

I suspect it has something to do with universal healthcare. Not directly. But it definitely serves the BC government to keep healthcare costs down, and providing easy access to exercise helps that goal.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

When I lived in BC I noticed there were exercise areas in practically every park. Chin-up bars. Balance beams. Running tracks. It was really nice. Every neighborhood had such a park in easy walking distance.

I suspect it has something to do with universal healthcare. Not directly. But it definitely serves the BC government to keep healthcare costs down, and providing easy access to exercise helps that goal.

The parks/schools in my community have these things. Very seldom in use. It's a crime.
  • lmf1012
    lmf1012 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    This certainly is an interesting discussion. There are as many circumstances for obesity as there are obese people and one piece of legislation or a few ideas cannot tackle each one. I think there has to be a multi-faceted approach that tackles as many "groups" as possible as each one has unique factors they face toward getting healthy. Low income groups face financial and potential safety issues that need to be addressed. Some groups do maybe need a kick in the pants somehow. Others need professional support either with a dietician or therapist or both. Everyone here has an opinion on the factors they themselves have experienced or are causes they feel strongly about. None of them are wrong or more/less important than others. I actually think intervention by the government should be more focused on those who need the most help, not those who just need to find some discipline (and yes, there are many of us that just need to get off our butts and do the work)
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    "Obesity is like any other mental health issue. IF and WHEN someone WANTS help, they can find it."
    Not so fast. I have some of the best health insurance available and no where to use it because I live in a very rural area. There have been times where I wanted help and was unable to find it. And if you are physically or emotionally unwell you won't have the energy to do much.
    I wish we could separate the health issues of obesity from the focus on appearance.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Can I suggest that this thread really belongs in the Debate forum? It would be nice if heated arguments about what governments should do and how other people should behave were kept to that forum, IMHO.

You can go to the first post in this thread and Flag > Report > Other and request that it be moved.

I considered doing that myself but was curious to see if we'd get more participants in this discussion here in General.
  • NoLimitFemme
    NoLimitFemme Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

No doubt that walking in a larger city is easier. Compared to Japan, America is far more spread out. I live in a rural area, and for me to walk to the store would be nearly 9 miles round trip. So, we have a car culture. In a more urban environment, Japanese walk to public transport, to the market... ect ect. Yes, there is a culture against walking in America... Just look at the people who stand on an escalator vs. taking the stairs. The stairs would be quicker sometimes, yet many choose to not take them. Watch people trying to get a parking spot at a store, many will drive around for a good while until they find a "close" spot. If they had just parked further away, they would have been in the store quicker. So yes, there is a culture against physical activity in America......

Never mind the store, how about the people that do that *kitten* at the gym?

Personally I look for where the furthest car is parked, then park 100 ft. further away. Hate door dings on my vehicles.

Disabled people use gyms too.
    Just sayin’

Yes. But I see the same thing at my rowing club, where *I know* that specific people are not mobility disabled. (I know whose cars those are.) Folks park close to the boathouse, then do a vigorous full-body workout on the water. Even at times when we've encouraged them to park in the parking lot a few hundred yards away, that's been true. It's curious. We've given up - created more parking near the boathouse.

Off topic 🤪 .... I just want more info on the rowing club. I know nothing about the sport but Im quite curious about it. I think its definitely something I'd enjoy.
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Their suicide rate is not particularly astronomic compared to other countries, you can see for yourself : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

And suicide is a multifaceted problem, I know because in the province I live in we've had some of the worst suicide rates in the world.

The United States also has a big suicide problem, let's not forget that.