Running a business or rescue

Options
OpheliaCooter
OpheliaCooter Posts: 1,635 Member
So of the people who have experience in small business or running rescues, what advice or tips would you tell a newbie?
I’ve mentioned a few times wanting to run an animal rescue with the main idea being a cat cafe. I figured some on here probably have some insight or maybe just jokes which are welcome too. It’s chitchat after all.

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    What a nice idea 😍

My only suggestion to entrepreneurs is to have a busy plan that includes an exit plan. That and think two products/services ahead in your revenue generation streams.

Oh, and have fun...but that's a given when surrounded by purring balls of fire fur, I imagine 😉

ETA: As exciting as purring fireballs sound, let's save that for a pyrotechnic-oriented business. I don't want that for you and your chill kitty café 🤣
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,874 Member
    Options
    Can you make the cats wear little hats? Each cat gets their own personalized hat.

Hats n' Cats.

You can like put the cats faces on coffee mugs with their name. Maybe include I little bio on one side of the cup with a little spiel about the rescue.

I'm sorry, I have no idea. It's a noble cause. Good luck.
  • PAWGliacci
    PAWGliacci Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    move to Austin and turn it into like a cat rescue place that doubles as a coffee shop or library or something. the hipsters will eat it up and you'll be rich in no time.
  • OpheliaCooter
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    What a nice idea 😍

My only suggestion to entrepreneurs is to have a busy plan that includes an exit plan. That and think two products/services ahead in your revenue generation streams.

Oh, and have fun...but that's a given when surrounded by purring balls of fire fur, I imagine 😉

ETA: As exciting as purring fireballs sound, let's save that for a pyrotechnic-oriented business. I don't want that for you and your chill kitty café 🤣

Look, maybe the fire is the spice I need to get the people goin’ and adopting!
    Can you make the cats wear little hats? Each cat gets their own personalized hat.

Hats n' Cats.

You can like put the cats faces on coffee mugs with their name. Maybe include I little bio on one side of the cup with a little spiel about the rescue.

I'm sorry, I have no idea. It's a noble cause. Good luck.

Oh there will be antics for sure. Two of my cats are from cat cafes and one posted ophelia in a hat and getting her fur vacuumed.
    PAWGliacci wrote: »
    move to Austin and turn it into like a cat rescue place that doubles as a coffee shop or library or something. the hipsters will eat it up and you'll be rich in no time.

These places do exist in the most hipster areas. The gf hates tx.
  • OpheliaCooter
    Options
    🤔 Interesting about your friend! I know there’s a company around here that dog walks and house sits. I guess it would depend on the dog lover whether or not he’d get business. Makes sense though because most do just let them out in the yard.
    The cat cafes already exist here. About three that I know of around me. Two of my cats are from two different ones in Charlotte. I’ve also been to one in Charleston.
    They team up with the local rescues/shelters and the cats that are fixed, chipped and vaccinated get to go to the cafe to be showcased.
    They get a decked out cat room filled with toys and hammocks/bridges/sleeping spots. The litter area is kept separate but a cat door exists so they can ‘go’ whenever. I’d say about 10 -15 cats at a time.
    Visitors pay by the half hour to hang out with the cats and of course there’s coffee, tea and maybe a cookie. Gift shop things that are cat themed.
    The one in Charleston actually has a bar. Idk about dealing with a liquor license but that’s what they have. 🤷🏻‍♀️
    I think getting the cats is basically free with almost no effort on the cafe’s part. I think all the adoption money goes to the shelters but I’m not sure. So in the end I think it’s just running a coffee/gift shop with cat adoption as the theme.
    The websites usually have a photographer take quirky shots of the cats in funny hats like bicycle man suggested ^ and a little bio.
    I’m just like.,... how do I get it started? Guess first thing would be to be ask around. Find a space for it. Figure out the cost of renovations and coffee machines. Make a website. Just general small business things.