Calories in and calories out question

Options
FitnessFreak1821
FitnessFreak1821 Posts: 242 Member
edited July 2021 in Fitness and Exercise
Okay so I just had my second baby, I'm trying to lose all my weight again (I lost 42 pounds in a year after I had my first. I was 189 end of my first pregnancy. 178 pounds postpartum got down to 136 pounds before I got pregnant again ) My heaviest this pregnancy was 173 pounds and I'm currently 166 pounds. My absolute goal is to be 125-130 pounds max. Then maintain from there.

I am working out 3-4 times a week goal is 5-6 days but im working my way up. I do Sydney Cummings work out videos on YouTube. Today I burned 411 calories working out, then just chasing the kids and doing stuff around the house I burned 1778 calories and counting according to my fitbit (not sure how accurate it is though). I ate exactly the same amount of calories. If I eat as much as I burn will I lose fat ? Or should I be trying to burn more calories because I know the saying burn more then what you eat but what if I burn as much I eat ? Will I just be maintaining then ?

I'm trying to stick to 1400-1600 calories max but went up abit today. Trying not to get upset over 200-300 calories over

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Take your total TDEE. That's all the calories you burn in a day (BMR+N.E.A.T.+exercise) and subtract 500 calories from your TDEE.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    ymdv19of88mw.png

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    How long since you've had your baby...given you say just? If you are (still) breastfeeding you need to make sure your net calories do go so low that it compromises your breastmilk production.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Your Fitbit is trying to estimate your entire calorie burn from living, activity and exercise (TDEE) - if that number really was 1778 you need to eat a bit less than that to lose weight.

If it is completely accurate (unlikely!) and you ate its TDEE estimate every day you would maintain weight.

"I'm trying to stick to 1400-1600 calories max but went up abit today. Trying not to get upset over 200-300 calories over" - one day on its own is absolutely trivial, you really need to accept that seeking perfection every day will lead to enormous stress and disappointment. Life isn't perfect and neither is dieting.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,202 Member
    Options
    How long since you've had your baby...given you say just? If you are (still) breastfeeding you need to make sure your net calories do go so low that it compromises your breastmilk production.

On top of that, I presume your Fitbit doesn't have a 'I'm breastfeeding' option. So even if it is accurate for you generally speaking, it might be underestimating your TDEE currently since breastfeeding also increases your calorie needs.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Think of it like a bank account -- if you put more in than you use, you'll gain. If you use more than you put in, you'll lose. What you do on a day to day basis does matter, but the real benefit comes with long term consistency.
  • FitnessFreak1821
    FitnessFreak1821 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

I had my second in April and I'm not breast feeding so no worries there:)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options

I had my second in April and I'm not breast feeding so no worries there:)

In that case the Fitbit could be decent estimate for the daily movement stuff - which is based on the distance your steps take you.
    If you have a ton of steps then stride-length setting matters for that part of the estimate.

Your exercise is by HR calculated calorie burn if you started a workout on Fitbit.
    That may or may not be a decent estimate - if workout is steady-state HR it could be pretty decent.
    If workout is nothing but intervals it's inflated, or if it's very low HR just above daily it's inflated.

How long are the workouts?
    Interval?

ETA - don't try to stick to max eaten goal, wrong thinking.
    Try to stick to max deficit goal - that's what'll impact your body negatively if you don't watch it.