Avocado or meat? Best taco choice?

Options
Seriously, tracking tonight's tacos tells me that a quarter of an avacado was similar in calories to an ounce of meat. Makes me want to pile more meat on my taco! What would you pick and why? leeyl2kkbf5z.jpg

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you want is "better". I hate avocado so bring on the meat! More protein too.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,714 Member
    Options
    I say avocado!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Both, because the amount of cals isn’t worth worrying about 6 month from now, and each would enhance the other flavour wise (along with all the other gubbins).

If I had to make a choice I would check my macros for the day and opt for the one I needed to take care of most.

Or, as there are 2, have meat in one, avocado in the other. (Then mush them together hahaha)

Cheers, h.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Avocado cuz I'm an herbivore
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I think the better question is avocado or salsa. Your protein is not the variable. You might ask, beef or pork, shrimp or fried cod (I really don't like Talapia in a taco).
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Depends on what else I'd had that day. I would generally make sure I had some sort of protein unless my other meals had been unusually high on it, especially since it tends to make me more satisfied for longer.

For me, the tortilla is usually the most cals for the least enjoyment/satisfaction, so I'm likely to make a bowl with the other ingredients.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I think the better question is avocado or salsa. Your protein is not the variable. You might ask, beef or pork, shrimp or fried cod (I really don't like Talapia in a taco).

Most salsas are very low cal, however. Maybe avocado vs cheese or sour cream.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Definitely meat (or some other protein) as the main, and avocado as the condiment. To me, since avo is high in (healthy) fats, I use more sparingly.
  • wilson10102018
    Options
    I usually use a 70 cal low carb flour tortilla. Scorch it on both sides on the gas burner. Changes the whole taste. Then, for me, its Spam Lite 2 oz, or BBQ pulled chicken, 2 oz avocado and Jalapeno salsa. That will be lunch today.
  • wilson10102018
    Options
    I usually use a 70 cal low carb flour tortilla. Scorch it on both sides on the gas burner. Changes the whole taste. Then, for me, its Spam Lite 2 oz, or BBQ pulled chicken, 2 oz avocado and Jalapeno salsa. That will be lunch today.

Well, its not very photogenic, but it sure was good.

Left over smoked baby back rib meat, avocado and home made hot salsa. 5qm974vis9te.jpg

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    As avocado is a good source of fat and meat a good source of protein, the questions I would ask myself are "avocado vs cheese or sour cream" and "meat vs beans."

But I like all those things so would just have small enough portions so I could have everything, except for the dairy - I use fat-free cottage cheese as I am avoiding full fat dairy as I am limiting fat and saturated fat for a medical condition.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Seriously, tracking tonight's tacos tells me that a quarter of an avacado was similar in calories to an ounce of meat. Makes me want to pile more meat on my taco! What would you pick and why?

For myself, meat, chicken, or fish is a primary ingredient in a taco. Avocado would be more of a choice between garnishes...ie avocado, sour cream, or cheese? Of those, it would also depend on the kind of taco I was having and how I wanted to compliment it.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    I usually do have meat in tacos.

Sometimes avocado too - but for me it would not be slices of avocado like in both photos shown - it would be small pieces cut up like the tomato or onion pieces.

So I guess my answer is both meat and avocado. but less avocado than shown above.

• SL62814
    SL62814 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would prefer both :p