Minimalist shoes for heavy runners

Options
meerkat70
meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
I currently run in Brooks Adrenalines (fitted at a good running store, and generally a shoe i've been happy with). But I've been off road for some time, so am more or less starting over with running, and have been wondering about possibly trying some minimalist shoes as I phase back into running again

I wondered how 'safe' minimalist shoes were for significantly heavy runners? Also, what sort of drop I should be looking at? Because I've not been running for quite some time, I'm essentially learning again, so assume I don't need to 'transition' as such, just ease in as I ease into running?

Suggestions would be very welcome.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Brooks has the Pure Project shoes that aren't quite minimalist, but are lighter than their others. I don't know how a true minimalist shoe would work for someone heavier. My husband has vibram bottomed New Balance that he deadlifts in, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't like running in them. A lot of his mass is muscle, but he's still pounding 205 pounds on his poor knees. A running store associate or a physical therapist will probably have much better advice for you.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    well I think true minimalist shoes would be 0mm drop.

I have a pair of brooks pure cadence with a 4mm drop. It only took a week or so from regular sneakers to those to be comfortable.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    well I think true minimalist shoes would be 0mm drop.

I have a pair of brooks pure cadence with a 4mm drop. It only took a week or so from regular sneakers to those to be comfortable.

I wondered if a 'true' minimalist shoe would be too much for someone carrying a fair bit of weight? That's really I guess the heart of my question.

I wondered about the cadence, as I really do love my brooks. Interesting you had such a quick transition. How do you find them to wear?
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I recommend Hoka One Ones to my heavier athletes. They kind of combine the minimalist movement with a wider base sole. It does a really good job of dispersing the impact over a larger tread. As you lose weight you can stick with the shoe or move to a more traditional shoe.

http://hokaoneone-na.com/about_story.html
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I would go to a running store and get fitted, but a few things:

I ran in Adrenaline's for a long time, then switched to Pure Cadence (12mm drop to 4mm drop) to help my foot and ankle strength. They work well, but shoes will be very specific to each runner. If it ain't broke...you know?
    Transitioning to true minimalist shoes if you have been using traditional drop shoes in the past will take an adjustment. I tried running in Newtons once (I think a 3mm drop, even though I was used to 4mm by then), and after a few miles my legs were aching. There will be some calf pain. Go slow.
    Minimalist shoes are a big trend right now, but its all about what works for your feet. Make sure the store you buy them from has a good return policy.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much overweight you are it may be difficult, if not impossible, to run in a manner that minimizes impact/knee strain without the aid of some sort of cushioned shoes.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I ran in Nike Free for a while and I'm transitioning now to a pair of New Balance Minimus ones. BUT... I am not "significantly" heavy.

Do you have a running store near you? I suggest going to get fitted and get advice there. You don't necessarily have to buy the shoes there, but they will have excellent advice for your needs.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you consider "heavy". A taller athletic built guy can run in minimalist shoes and easily weigh 200 lbs. I'm 170-175 and have no issues at all because of weight.

I would still transition easy. Your ability to run will out pace your adaptation to minimalist foot wear. Keep your running sestions very short to start, and don't push it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I currently run in Brooks Adrenalines (fitted at a good running store, and generally a shoe i've been happy with). But I've been off road for some time, so am more or less starting over with running, and have been wondering about possibly trying some minimalist shoes as I phase back into running again

I wondered how 'safe' minimalist shoes were for significantly heavy runners? Also, what sort of drop I should be looking at? Because I've not been running for quite some time, I'm essentially learning again, so assume I don't need to 'transition' as such, just ease in as I ease into running?

Suggestions would be very welcome.

I went from Brooks Beast to Vibram Five Fingers, and those were the best choice for me. Did amazingly, fixed a lot of gait problems, and made running a possibiltiy to my life. I found the Komodos were a good balance between padding and minimalism.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I wondered if a 'true' minimalist shoe would be too much for someone carrying a fair bit of weight? That's really I guess the heart of my question.

I wondered about the cadence, as I really do love my brooks.
    I think the main factor would be how strong your feet and lower legs are right now rather than weight. If you always wear shoes and haven't been barefoot in 20 years then your feet and calves might need a lot of work. If you are often barefoot you will adapt more quickly.

WIth a 4 mm drop Brooks your calf will stretch at least 8mm further than it has been with each step. If your calves are not used to this because you are never barefoot there will be a transition time while the calf strengthens. During this transition time there is increased risk of calf muscle pulls.

I wear the Brooks Pure Connect and they are the most comfortable and most durable running shoe I ever had.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents.. running is hard on the knees. Yes, the human foot was not designed for the a typical shoe we wear.. but we weren't also suited to sit all day then run long distance daily.

Does heavy mean... like long distance? high frequency? or just HEAVY? I personally wouldn't wear my vibrams for longer than 5 miles. I prefer having the heel support on longer runs.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I love my Pure Cadence, switched for Trances, but have really only run significant distances in the Pure Cadence. However, I do get achey knees (have always had some issues) after 2-3 miles. I am considering getting fitted at a running store, just to see if something else would be better for my knees, but I do love what I have now. (I would not consider myself heavy, though, at 135 pounds and 5'4".)
  • Rhayahana
    Rhayahana Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I went from a traditional Brooks running shoe to a Merrell road glove. Never been happier, for me it fixed some issues with poor running form, and it has made my feet stronger. I can feel the road under my feet as well now, so I slip less, and can correct my balance a lot easier.

That said, I don't think they would be the perfect solution for significantly overweight people, the human body/foot may be designed to run but it is not designed to be overweight, so that has to be compensated by some form of cushioning in the shoes if the body is at, say, an obese level. At least, that's by my reasoning, I might be completely off since I'm no scientist.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i have lightweight running shoes (the store calls them part of their minimalist line, but they're hardly vibrams):

saucony fastswitch
    saucony kinvara
    asics gel lyte 33

love them all!
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I mean heavy. Like weighing a lot.

As I said, I'm re-learning after a lay off - so basically I'm back to C25. I doubt I'll be doing 10 milers this side of Christmas. :-)

Scott "I think the main factor would be how strong your feet and lower legs are right now rather than weight. If you always wear shoes and haven't been barefoot in 20 years then your feet and calves might need a lot of work. If you are often barefoot you will adapt more quickly. "

This is interesting, I hadn't thought of this. I was raised in SOuth Africa, so I'm comfortable barefoot, and tend to pad around at home and work without shoes. I only put them on in summer because British people tend to freak out when they see people wandering the streets shoeless! If I am in shoes, they're generally very flat flats (ballet pump type things).

I have very flexible feet, and a good stretch in my achilles. My legs are pretty strong. But I'm hypermobile, so have to be reasonably cautious with my joints.

I think I might pop down to my running shop and try a pair of the pure cadence then. Do you use them for very long runs as well as your shorter ones, Scott?
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I started running in April at 86kg...(now 73kg) in Five Finger Speeds. I now run up to 7km in them, no problems. I just avoid street running and stay on unpaved paths.

It's a middle / fore foot gait. You need to avoid landing on your heel. And your body needs to get used to the bare foot shoes. Start slow as if you were starting off with running.

After running 30-45 min several times a week, I now run once on the tread mill (30min) and usually one run outside 50-60min a week. I do other work outs too (strength, arc, swimming), which is why I don't run more.

BTW - I went running in running shoes once during this time...got blisters on the bottom of the arch in 30 min. Went back to Five Fingers ;-)

My feet and ankles have become much stronger and leaner. I now fit into shoes, that hurt the top of my arch before ;-)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I think I might pop down to my running shop and try a pair of the pure cadence then. Do you use them for very long runs as well as your shorter ones, Scott?
    I use them for everything. The longest single run in them so far is 29 miles.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Thanks - some really useful information in the thread. I do appreciate it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    As note, if you're already comfortable barefoot, vibrams would be an easy ramp up for use with running. I always wear sandals unless there is snow, and for me, it takes about a day r so of getting back into my vibrams if I haven't been in them for months.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options

I only run in my Pure's. Longest run to date is 10 miles.

Quick note about the Pure series, there are different version in the Pure series for over, under, and non pronators. I run in the Cadences, my wife runs in the Flows. Both are Brooks Pure's. OP would be wise to go to the LRS and get fitted properly as I can't remember which is which and am too lazy to use Google ATM.

Also, be warned that when you switch to minimalist style shoes you will need to relearn a lot of how you run. OP already said she is relearning, but its really important for anyone else reading this thread that they take note of that. As Scott mentioned you will need to stretch your calves, but you will also get more soreness in your shin muscles at first. The smaller drop shoes are great but they have a pretty steep learning curve at the beginning. Imagine how you walk when you are on a slippery surface and then trying to run like that (sort of, best analogy I can think of). IMO it would be really unwise to switch shoes purely for distance reasons as its a pretty different method of running, its not just changing shoes.

Not trying to talk you out of if OP. I love my Pure's and wouldn't go back to 'normal' shoes for love nor money. Just making sure you are aware that its a bit more involved.