Should your calories or macros change when you’re sick?

Options
Currently I’m on a cut, but I came under the weather and I’m wondering if one should adjust their caloric intake back to maintenance if you’re feeling ill? Just to help fight the virus… does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,284 Member
    Options
    I think it's wise to eat at maintenance when sick, no need to combine illness with the stress of a calorie deficit.
    Only if you can, of course, I wouldn't force it if you have no appetite or feel nauseous or anything.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I think it's wise to eat at maintenance when sick, no need to combine illness with the stress of a calorie deficit.
    Only if you can, of course, I wouldn't force it if you have no appetite or feel nauseous or anything.

Yes, I would agree with this.

A tummy bug went around our house recently and I had it. The worst day I only ate about 500 calories or so because it was just not possible for me to eat (I did some estimated logging after the fact because I was curious - dry toast and ginger ale doesn't amount to much.) My activity was also more limited because I wasn't exercising or really doing much of anything, so my maintenance calories were lower than usual at least for those few days, too. My fitness tracker counted maybe 400 steps on the worst day.

It can also be the case that we eat different kinds of food too when ill and I think that's fine. I ate very little protein or fat while sick because it upset my stomach. When I felt better both appealed again.

I hope you're feeling better soon!