Help! Going from metabolic repair to weight loss

Options
I have been working on metabolic repair for about 8 weeks (this isn't the part I need help with.)

I've been on maintenance calories this whole time, and would've reduced starting this week, but I have vacation this week so I will be reducing starting Sept. 3rd (day after vacation.)

What I really need is encouragement/insight from others who have been through this.

I intend on reducing to 1340 to lose 1 lb a week.

It seems like not matter WHAT my calories are set at I still go over.

So...I was thinking about setting my calories at 1200...that way when I go over I am still close to what I need to lose 1 lb a week.

Does that sound silly?

I already know to make better food choices and to exercise, drink water, and not go under 1200 net.

I know WHAT to do...its just that I'm so scared that my body won't lose even after the 8 week metabolic repair.

Any insight/help would be appreciated.

Replies

• Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    And ignore my profile pic. I am currently overweight.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I think the whole point of establishing this journey as a lifestyle is to make every aspect of it sustainable... That being said aren't you cheating yourself by not accurately measuring and weighing your food and hitting your daily caloric intake and nutrient needs, if you are going to do it the way you have suggested wanting too... Why not do it the right way and learn to live within the confines of what your needs are.... As far as the metabolic repair, if you truly had damaged you metabolism, I didn't realize you can put a set time limit on repairing it...... Best of Luck
  • GymRatGirl13
    GymRatGirl13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    What is your maintenence level of calories?
  • Adrianachiarato
    Adrianachiarato Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Where can I get info on metabolic repair?
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    salad should be your main course at almost every meal

not just a plain iceburg

get some romain, spinach, tomato, cucumber avacodo chicken breast

I eat a lot of salads, I always add sauted chicken breast, sometimes for dinner I have it with grillers steamables w/the potatoes

its filling and healthy and leaves room for a few light snacks, if that's how you choose to eat

sorry my diary is private_
  • jcroszel
    Options
    I think you should keep your calorie goal consistent with what you need to eat. Remember eating less calories doesn't always mean more weight loss and I agree that setting your goals lower just so you can go over isn't realistic thinking either. But additionally, instead of only focusing on the number of calories you are eating, also consider the source of each of those calories. 100calories of Twizzlers does not equal 100calories of salad mix. I'm not insituating that you prefer a worse choice of calories but I've learned through this process that simply counting the calories DOES NOT work for me. I have to actually evaluate what type of calories I take in. In my case, I basically had to give up all carbs (even limit my fruit) in order to lose. I also found that I could eat more calories of higher quality foods and still lose. Just something to consider. I would also look for something consistent throughout your diet and see if eliminating or reducing that one item will help you reach your goal. I had to eliminate the extra cup of coffee with cream and sugar and either do without or only have black coffee for my second cup. I found it made a slight difference. Good luck!
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I intend on reducing to 1340 to lose 1 lb a week.

It seems like not matter WHAT my calories are set at I still go over.

So...I was thinking about setting my calories at 1200...that way when I go over I am still close to what I need to lose 1 lb a week.

Does that sound silly?
    It sounds like a bad idea to me personally. To some extent, losing weight is a mental game. If you think you are going to go over anyway, then I don't think decreasing your calories is the way to go. It may just make you feel like a failure.

You can play this a couple ways. Either start with a smaller deficit, maybe whatever is recommended to lose .5 lbs. Or leave as is, exercise and eat back some of your exercise calories (or let the calories you know you're going to eat encourage you to exercise). Or try the TDEE - 20% method that I haven't followed but you can a bunch of posts on it. Try that stuff a bit and see how it goes. I would not start off with 1200 if you think you will be going over 1340.
  • MANDallasTX
    Options
    One has to do the basics right over the long haul to get and keep healthy. Honestly knowing how much your eating is one of the basic tenants. Guessing won't cut it, you have to know for a fact. Another tenant is how and how much you exercise get. What you are wanting is a calorie deficit for the week of about 3,500 calories to lose one pound of fat.

While the basics sound easy, it is the dedication to continue doing it, even after set backs.

But you can do this! If a fat old man in his mid 50's can get healthier. You can too!
  • Happymelz
    Options
    Where can I get info on metabolic repair?

There is a LOT of information available. I am reading through Leigh Peele's book metabolic repair.

Like I mentioned...I know HOW to lose weight. :( That isn't the problem. I know the math. I know that I have to reduce from my maintenance calories (1840 at my current weight...TDE).

I know what I should and shouldn't eat...and working on actually making the right choices. (KNOWING and DOING are kind of a problem for me.)

I was just hoping for feedback/advise from people who have been there...because I didn't want to go into my entire "how I got here" history again. (I know that sounds rude. :( )

If it were as simple as "just doing it" I wouldn't be over weight. :(

Has anyone here actually accomplished weight loss after metabolic repair/reset?
  • GymRatGirl13
    Options
    "Like I mentioned...I know HOW to lose weight. :( That isn't the problem. I know the math. I know that I have to reduce from my maintenance calories (1840 at my current weight...TDE). "

"Has anyone here actually accomplished weight loss after metabolic repair/reset?"

I have had success with losing weight after metabolic damage. Mine was pretty severe...hell, that is an understatement. You said plan on dropping 500 calories from your maintenence level of calories in order to start losing weight? Well, you should keep reading on metabolic damange if this is your game plan. Why would you want to jump right back into the same pot of boiling water you just "repaired" yourself from? 8 weeks is hardly long enough to repair damage...and if you are back on track after that short of an amount of time, you likely didn't have damage in the first place. You were probably just plateaued. If you want to start losing weight...do it gradually. Like...100 calories less than maintenance. If you dump 500 calories from your already low amount of calories, where are you going to go when you plateau again? Exactly...right back to where you are now...

I recommend, from experience, to build your metabolism up before you consider dieting. That is IF you truly have damaged metabolism. If you build it up and make it healthy again, you can then have some breathing room to actually diet in, so you can sustain your diet for life. Who can live on 1300 calories a day? Not me. I am 5'7" and weigh 145. I am a size 3 jean (not stretchy ones either lol) and am able to consume 2300-2500 calories a day and maintain that weight. I have been at this weight for almost two years and have went from 1200 calories a day with 2+ hours of exercise a day to where I am now, which is 2500 calories a day with 45 minutes of lifting only. If I mountain bike, which is my only form of cardio, I add an additional 500 calories or so and half of that is in carbs. I have gained some fat, but I was sickenly skinny fat before, so it was needed anyway. I have added a lot of muscle. Same size clothes. The solution is easy...lift weights, eat at maintenence for a longer period of time (6 months minimum) and make healthy and nutritious food choices consistently. When you are able to eat more calories and remain at the same weight and get your calories up to a realistic number (mine is 2500 a day), then consider eating at a deficit. At that time...drop 100 calories at a time. I know this seems blunt, but sounding rude isn't my intention. I wish you the best and hope you are successful. :-)
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I think your deficit is too large.
    You are eating at TDEE (doing a reset), but plan on going back to low calorie.. you're essentially reversing any "repair" you may have done in the last 8 weeks.

Your ticker says you want to lose 2-3 lbs? I don't know what your current weight is/how much you want to lose, but you shouldn't take more of a 20% cut from your TDEE. You say it's 1840, so 20% from that is 1472. 15% from that is 1564. If you have a smaller amount to lose, don't take more than a 15% cut.

This isn't a race, if you'd like to keep as much muscle as you can while losing fat, I suggest avoiding the 1200-1300 range... eat more!
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    GymRatGirl speaks the truth- the best option is to get to a point where your metabolism is so healthy that you are able to eat sensible amounts of calories and not gain weight, and lifting heavy things certainly helps with this. Don't be put off by weight, it's your clothes size/measurements that are the most accurate measure of progress when doing this.
  • Happymelz
    Options
    Thank you!!! THIS is what I needed. To know from someone who has been there. I appreciate your blunt honesty. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

eeeeer... why?!
  • Happymelz
    Options

Your ticker says you want to lose 2-3 lbs? I don't know what your current weight is/how much you want to lose, but you shouldn't take more of a 20% cut from your TDEE. You say it's 1840, so 20% from that is 1472. 15% from that is 1564. If you have a smaller amount to lose, don't take more than a 15% cut.

This isn't a race, if you'd like to keep as much muscle as you can while losing fat, I suggest avoiding the 1200-1300 range... eat more!

Actually...it says I want to lose 2-3 lbs because I've gained weight since I've gone to maintenance (which is part of the metabolic repair that scares me...but most people gain on it.)
    I actually needs to lose 17-20 lbs.

I actually thought I was taking too long to try repairing at 8 weeks. But, I think I will start slowly when I reduce like all have suggested.

I was just basing dropping from 1840 to 1340 on the 3500 calories deficit to lose 1 lb a week, and then eat back any cardio calories burned.
    Bad idea?
  • Happymelz
    Options

eeeeer... why?!

Hehehe...yeah I just ignored that one. No offense to the postee...but I would much rather eat steamed veggies and meat every meal. And pasta.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    "Like I mentioned...I know HOW to lose weight. :( That isn't the problem. I know the math. I know that I have to reduce from my maintenance calories (1840 at my current weight...TDE). "

"Has anyone here actually accomplished weight loss after metabolic repair/reset?"

I have had success with losing weight after metabolic damage. Mine was pretty severe...hell, that is an understatement. You said plan on dropping 500 calories from your maintenence level of calories in order to start losing weight? Well, you should keep reading on metabolic damange if this is your game plan. Why would you want to jump right back into the same pot of boiling water you just "repaired" yourself from? 8 weeks is hardly long enough to repair damage...and if you are back on track after that short of an amount of time, you likely didn't have damage in the first place. You were probably just plateaued. If you want to start losing weight...do it gradually. Like...100 calories less than maintenance. If you dump 500 calories from your already low amount of calories, where are you going to go when you plateau again? Exactly...right back to where you are now...

I recommend, from experience, to build your metabolism up before you consider dieting. That is IF you truly have damaged metabolism. If you build it up and make it healthy again, you can then have some breathing room to actually diet in, so you can sustain your diet for life. Who can live on 1300 calories a day? Not me. I am 5'7" and weigh 145. I am a size 3 jean (not stretchy ones either lol) and am able to consume 2300-2500 calories a day and maintain that weight. I have been at this weight for almost two years and have went from 1200 calories a day with 2+ hours of exercise a day to where I am now, which is 2500 calories a day with 45 minutes of lifting only. If I mountain bike, which is my only form of cardio, I add an additional 500 calories or so and half of that is in carbs. I have gained some fat, but I was sickenly skinny fat before, so it was needed anyway. I have added a lot of muscle. Same size clothes. The solution is easy...lift weights, eat at maintenence for a longer period of time (6 months minimum) and make healthy and nutritious food choices consistently. When you are able to eat more calories and remain at the same weight and get your calories up to a realistic number (mine is 2500 a day), then consider eating at a deficit. At that time...drop 100 calories at a time. I know this seems blunt, but sounding rude isn't my intention. I wish you the best and hope you are successful. :-)

^^^ This this this.
  • GymRatGirl13
    Options

Actually...it says I want to lose 2-3 lbs because I've gained weight since I've gone to maintenance (which is part of the metabolic repair that scares me...but most people gain on it.)
    I actually needs to lose 17-20 lbs.

I actually thought I was taking too long to try repairing at 8 weeks. But, I think I will start slowly when I reduce like all have suggested.

I was just basing dropping from 1840 to 1340 on the 3500 calories deficit to lose 1 lb a week, and then eat back any cardio calories burned.
    Bad idea?

I'm starting to think you are trolling...yes. Bad idea. If what you have said thus far is true...you shouldn't be trying to "diet" at all. Keep calories at maintence, while slowly trying to add more. Lift weights, which is installing the furnace in your body that will burn fat. Rinse...repeat.
  • Happymelz
    Options
    Thank you. Sent a message also.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I think you should keep your calorie goal consistent with what you need to eat. Remember eating less calories doesn't always mean more weight loss and I agree that setting your goals lower just so you can go over isn't realistic thinking either. But additionally, instead of only focusing on the number of calories you are eating, also consider the source of each of those calories. 100calories of Twizzlers does not equal 100calories of salad mix. I'm not insituating that you prefer a worse choice of calories but I've learned through this process that simply counting the calories DOES NOT work for me. I have to actually evaluate what type of calories I take in. In my case, I basically had to give up all carbs (even limit my fruit) in order to lose. I also found that I could eat more calories of higher quality foods and still lose. Just something to consider. I would also look for something consistent throughout your diet and see if eliminating or reducing that one item will help you reach your goal. I had to eliminate the extra cup of coffee with cream and sugar and either do without or only have black coffee for my second cup. I found it made a slight difference. Good luck!
    The bolded part is completely false. It doesn't always mean healthy weight loss and it isn't always efficient. When you get the drop in metabolism, it is gradual and tops out at about 15% in clinical studies (most people top out below that). In other words if you calculated your TDEE, it would be wrong by about 15% worst case. There is no point at which reducing calories does not increase the deficit and increasing the deficit always increases weight loss. Your body cannot run on air. I am not suggesting that you reduce your calories further, just suggesting that you base your decision on facts and math.