Free online courses

Options
ReenieHJ
ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
Has anyone taken any? Were they interesting, exciting, too-time consuming, productive, challenging, fun? Advice looking for good ones?

I need something intellectually stimulating yet not too difficult. I also need to find an interest to pursue.

So any input is appreciated!

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    What is your passion though @ReenieHJ? There may be myriad of online courses offered at your local college or you can jump on LinkedIn Learning for business-related options. There's about a zillion exciting choices in between those two options though.

Generally, I find online learning to be most interesting to me when it's tied to near-immediate revenue increases or long-awaited hobby fulfillment. Some are short courses while others can take years (over a series of related courses)

But your motivation may be different.
  • BraydanTaffy
    BraydanTaffy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Well, I've taken software tutorials... most for things like advanced Word & Excel features... or property management software. Hard, no, but you do need the software to follow along... same version is ideal.

I've also learned to fix toilets & do other small household repairs with free YTube tutorials. Fun, exciting? No, but it did save money.

I'm about to begin computer programming classes soon to learn new languages. Unless tech bent, in particular programming, no one would bother, really.

Former hairdresser, so I've watched some great cutting vids... again, most wouldn't bother or want anything that advanced.

So, most tutorials I've used, or online classes I've taken are work related.

Are you looking for a creative endeavor... learn to paint with oils? Build a kitchen container garden? Silk flower arranging? Silk screening? Sewing?
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    I guess the first step would be to figure out what I am interested in learning. :) Maybe that's the hardest part. :/ Through searches, I did see AARP offers free classes to better your skills and help you find work. I've kind of been toying that idea around but have fears of stepping back into the employee role. Another thought is possibly finding a niche through crafts and a venue in which to sell them. Foreign language, ASL, classes that would be both fun and educational while possibly becoming an income of sorts. IDK, just toying with the idea ATM.
    I used to take online classes for childcare and found them fun, educational, rewarding, versatile(especially concerning time frames) but also the costs could be high. Now I'm searching from freebies. :)
    Thanks for your replies <3 Definitely something I need to think more on. :)

• ReenieHJ
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »

Generally, I find online learning to be most interesting to me when it's tied to near-immediate revenue increases or long-awaited hobby fulfillment.

Yes, both of those are exactly my goals. :)

• NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I did Linkedin classes for work and snuck in some art and photography classes for free. I think it's only 20 -30 dollars if you have to pay for them...
    Also check out the colleges in your area once you get to be 55 or so. A University and Technical Institute in my area let's older people take free classes as long as they're not full!
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Open Culture has a bunch listed: https://www.openculture.com/freeonlinecourses

Might be a good place to start to see what’s out there and what piques your interest.

I’ve taken a couple MoMA courses and really enjoyed them: https://www.moma.org/research-and-learning/classes
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I’m not sure how old you are, but if you’re over 55, you might check this list for an Osher Lifelong Learning Institute in your area: https://www.osherfoundation.org/olli_list.html

I think each is relatively unique because they’re member-driven with members developing the courses and programs.

The one that I’m familiar with (I did marketing for them) had a $35 per year membership fee, which included as many or as few short classes as you like each year. There were some excursions that cost extra. Typically a mix of stand-alone classes and course series in a wide range of topics: art, writing, literature, science, nature, computer courses, financial literacy, history, political science, film, health (to name a few). Very responsive to the interests and needs of members. Scholarships covering membership fees were available.

Some may offer online courses.
  • chuckle_bunny
    chuckle_bunny Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I want to learn hypnosis and telepathy. Are there any free courses for that? I promise to only use it for good!
  • BraydanTaffy
    Options
    I want to learn hypnosis and telepathy. Are there any free courses for that? I promise to only use it for good!

Dr. Brian Weiss' books teach self-hypnosis & past life regression. I took a course long ago, but the book is as valuable, imho. Dr. Bruce Goldberg also has a lot of books & info on those 2, if you can get passed his grifting, aggressive & annoying personality. You can find YTube vids on both, to see if you'd be interested. Both have appeared on the old Art Bell Coast to Coast radio show. You library will have free books.

Telepathy... well, we have cell phones now, which is less exhausting. :)

Then again, I only use my powers for evil, so feel free to block me.
  • OpheliaCooter
    OpheliaCooter Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options

Dr. Brian Weiss' books teach self-hypnosis & past life regression. I took a course long ago, but the book is as valuable, imho. Dr. Bruce Goldberg also has a lot of books & info on those 2, if you can get passed his grifting, aggressive & annoying personality. You can find YTube vids on both, to see if you'd be interested. Both have appeared on the old Art Bell Coast to Coast radio show. You library will have free books.

😂 sorry I just had to quote for appreciation reasons. *blocked*
  • BraydanTaffy
    Options

😂 sorry I just had to quote for appreciation reasons. *blocked*

Ahaha. Story of my life. :smile:
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    Past life regression sounds very interesting. Hmmm, might help explain a LOT.

Thank you for all your replies!! They've been helpful and give me a great starting point! Bookmarked many thoughtful ideas and now to sort through them. :)