Why can’t I get back on track?

Options
nasr25
nasr25 Posts: 214 Member
So my heaviest was 301 pounds and so for I have dropped to 258 pounds. I haven’t been eating well and every time I start to get back into watts healthy I quit one week in. Is there something you do to get you back on for good when you just can’t keep that weight loss mindset.

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,347 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    My self talk around food is constantly reminding myself that certain things are just plain bad for me.
    But I am allergic to pepper, lactose and gluten intolerant, and diabetic. So. It’s true. For me.

For you? There could be a lot of factors.
    Have you got a supportive family?
    Are you an emotional eater?
    Are you the main cook in the family?
    And tons of other little things to consider.

Also, are you starting off too hard line?
    Maybe change just one habit at a time.

It’s a big discussion. There is a group here for people who have a lot to lose. Come join us.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Four things that might help:
    1. Make a list of all your favourite foods that also happen to be part of your weight loss plan. So if you have started eating lots of cookies and fries and things which are designed to trigger binge eating, clear them out from your cupboards and put in your favourite healthier options. Only foods you love.

2. Massively increase your non food treats and self care. We fall off the wagon when it feels like we are missing out by getting fitter and leaner. Give yourself an overdose of small treats: new bath products, beauty products, a health and fitness magazine, some fresh flowers, a beach read novel, some new clothes or haircut, new workout gear, a spa trip or a new fitness class or swim session in a beautiful pool. Put on lots of upbeat music, watch lots of upbeat comedies, feel good films and inspirational documentaries.

3. Journal. Get a notebook and write down what's going on in yoru mind that's keeping you off track. Journal why you want to be fitter, Journal all the happiness and confidence you have gained from the first big weightloss success.

4. Hang out with the right people doing the right things. Catch up with friends who like to walk and talk not sit and drink wine. Meet friends for a swim or a sauna or invite them to exercise with you. Build a good social life around fitness not food, drink and sitting.

I lost the first half of what I need to lose - enough to make a difference and then it became my new normal. Recently I realised I didn't want that and I will get a new boost of confidence and energy if I lose the second half. So I came back to MFP. :smiley:
  • MrsDogLady
    MrsDogLady Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Do your very best for ONE day, if you can get over that hump, day two will be easier. Find really great low calorie recipes (check https://www.allrecipes.com/), double them and freeze. Make 4-5 different meals for variety, have one for dinner every night and never settle for food that doesn't satisfy. Sometimes a good diet soda can replace a dessert - diet cream soda does it for me. We all know this isn't easy - one day at a time!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    There’s a lot of misconceptions about motivation. Motivation is what gets us started. But it’s fleeting. We need a sound process, habits and routines to get us through the day to day. We won’t get far only working when it feels good.

My best motivator was fear. I was a stroke or heart attack waiting to happen at 285 lbs. Then one day I looked at my kids. Was I going to leave 2 little kids with no dad because I wouldn’t shut my pie hole? No.

Calorie counting works. Get a food scale, start a food diary and go to work. Be prepared for a fairly long learning curve. Don’t let the voice in your head wreck you by telling you that you can’t do it. It will also try to tell you that everything has to be ASAP. But there’s lots of trial and error. It takes time. Weight loss is mostly about problem solving and persistence.

Congrats on the loss. Don’t be discouraged. I had to reinvent my plan about 4 times to lose 100+ lbs. If something works for us there’s a tendency to double down on that when we get stuck. Step back and start over.
    You can have the life you want. Never quit.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    It's in your mental commitment to do that. There will ALWAYS be deterrence in the way. You just have to learn to get past it. I find that if you get into a routine that right and stick to it for at least 21 days, then it's easier to become habitual again. So should for 21 days and not just one week.;

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    First of all Big Congrats on the weight loss!

Deficit fatigue is real - but please don't let it derail your progress. There are a few good threads here about taking deficit breaks. I find it sometimes helpful to spend a week or so at mid-high maintenance calories. The extra treats soothe my soul and honestly, in just a few days I am usually over it and ready to resume deficit eating.

Just remember:

A deficit break is NOT permission for a free for all daily binge. It means eating at maintenance calories.

You should still log your food daily.

A deficit break does not mean an exercise/activity break.

I've also found it helpful to set and work towards a short term goal of maybe only 3lbs. I hope that you can regain your forward momentum. You've come too far to stop now!