Options

Replies

• Karliemyalgia
    Karliemyalgia Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    socajam wrote: »
    How about broiling
    I have started to broil peppers or zucchini
    Sauteed carrots and add shredded cabbage, kale, spring onions and peppers - really nice

Interesting!! I've not tried broiling, I'm not very skilled in the kitchen. How does broiling differ from roasting?
    As long as it's still firm he might like it. He will eat things raw, but not much variety there when its only 5 choices lol (cucumber, baby carrot, green bean, salad, snap peas)

Yummm it sounds delicious, aside from the spring onions, I'd eat it!
  • Karliemyalgia
    Karliemyalgia Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My partner said he didn't like cauliflower and I never cooked it because there are plenty of other cruciferous vegetables that we both like. And then we had Buffalo cauliflower at a restaurant and developed a new appreciation for it.

https://www.franksredhot.com/en-us/recipes/buffalo-cauliflower-bites

Oh, here's another good way to get it in. Chop it small and it is barely noticeable:

https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/cauliflower-mac-and-cheese-recipe/

He's fine with Brussels sprouts if I cook them with bacon or kielbasa.

Ooo thanks for the recipes!! I'll definitely have to try the cauliflower one, if its too small and he doesn't notice/can't taste it much then that's definitely a win!

I don't think he likes brussel sprouts.... or to be honest I don't think he likes the idea of brussell sprouts lmao! Maybe if I tried to convince him they were little...lettuce balls he might be tricked for a second LOL but cooking them with bacon sounds like a great idea, he sure loves bacon haha!
  • futuresylph
    futuresylph Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

He is just very particular and picky in ridiculous ways, but he is a good man. This would be his worst trait, his food pickiness, lol and that is really great in the grand scheme of things!

Yep, if that's the worst thing you can find to say about him, sounds like you're richly blessed. Okay, no more tough love for now; pampering mode on. How about blending fruits and vegetables together into juices? There are tons of combinations. Here are a few to get started, if you think he might like any of these: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes-menus/fruit-and-vegetable-juice-recipes-for-breakfast-gallery
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    My husband used to believe he hated asparagus until he tried it blanched with a little lemon juice, still crisp. His mother used to cook it into mush. Start with the mushy vegetables and just don’t overcook them. If he still hates whatever it is lightly steamed, stir-fried, or roasted, I would move on.

Hmmm blanched? I'm not familiar with that! I am not super skilled in the kitchen and tend to steam and cook my veggies til they are quite soft. If I take his out ahead of time that might be better. Like I mentioned above, he does he some things raw: carrots, cucumber, green beans and salad -- you can even add snap peas to that. I just feel the variety is lacking, and there are some good nutrients in other veggies that if there is some way to sneak it in there or prepare in a way he enjoyed it would be way better! Thanks for the suggestions

When blanching you just boil them long enough to scare them a little bit, then plunge into ice water to stop the cooking. The vegetables end up bright colored and crisp, but without that raw flavor.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-blanch-vegetables-home-108570
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Does he actually want to eat more vegetables? If so, have him choose one veggie similar to those he already eats and have him research different ways to prepare it or included in different recipes.

In my line of work I sometimes work with extremely picky kids ( to the point of it being a disorder). He's an adult so the techniques I'd use for a kid will mostly not work. However, one technique that works for all ages is to involve the person in choosing and preparing the meal himself. He may not love it the first, second or even third time, but after several expires he may actually start to like it

A couple of personal anecdotes to share:. My dad always thought he hated tomatoes, although he always ate things with tomato' sauce. Then one day he decided to eat some again and decided he actually liked them. For me personally, I HATED fish as a kid...if my mom made it (which usually was just the Gorton's frozen breaded stuff until I was much older), I never ate it. I avoided it for years. I'm not generally a picky eater besides that, though. A few years ago I decided to try and make some here and there because I knew it was good for me and wanted to expose my kids to it. Over time I learned to.....well, I wouldn't say love it, but it's ok if it's not too fishy and prepared with good flavor and/or technique.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    socajam wrote: »
    How about broiling
    I have started to broil peppers or zucchini
    Sauteed carrots and add shredded cabbage, kale, spring onions and peppers - really nice

Interesting!! I've not tried broiling, I'm not very skilled in the kitchen. How does broiling differ from roasting?
    As long as it's still firm he might like it. He will eat things raw, but not much variety there when its only 5 choices lol (cucumber, baby carrot, green bean, salad, snap peas)

Yummm it sounds delicious, aside from the spring onions, I'd eat it!

Broiling is higher heat and a shorter time than roasting, with the food generally a lot closer to the heat source. If you're using an electric oven, this may mean moving the shelf to it's highest position, if you don't have a separate broiler in the oven. In a gas stove, I believe there's usually a drawer at the bottom under the burner that you use to broil. If you've got one of those modern ovens, I can't help you. :smile:

I think the best/easiest ways to keep cooked veggies crisp is either steaming for a short time or sauteeing for a short time. If the way you're cooking them now is too soft for him, trying cutting the time in half and see what he thinks. Also, you want to choose vegetables that can be eaten raw -- i.e., I wouldn't try this with potatoes.

I've recently taken to sauteeing my asparagus in a small amount of oil in a heavy saucepan with the lid on, for just a few minutes, so they're still fairly crisp (chop each stalk in two or three pieces if your pan isn't big enough for a whole spear to lay flat). Bell peppers work nicely with the same treatment, as does chopped cabbage. Best of luck.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    You can hide quite a lot in certain dishes if you grate it.

For example grated carrots in Chilli or bolognese, mushrooms chopped up small. Shepherds pie is quite a good one for that. Will he eat mash potato? if so you could experiment with different ones, mashed carrot/swede. I find if you chuck enough pepper and cheese in it doesn't really get noticed. Soup?

I love the River cottage veg everyday cook book by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. Lots of vegetable based dishes that are delicious and quite straightforward. Even if he doesn't like them it might help you learn different ways to cook and think about it.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    What about creamed or pureed vegetable soup?

You can use fresh or frozen vegetables (add more carrots to camouflage the other veggies). Cook them in bone broth for added protein, and when the vegetables are done use the blender, or the hand held blender, to puree everything. You can replace half the broth with cream or coconut milk.

But I also agree with other posters you are not a maid, and if he doesn't like what you cook, send him back to his mother, or to McD.

Note to self: go a kiss your husband because he loves and eats everything the you prepare... <3

Great suggestion! I'll have to give it a go.
    And not to worry, he is not rude, he is not mean about it. He just simply wont eat what he doesn't like and I don't fault him for that. I feel that some of the responders have been a little rough on him hehe, maybe I did not word everything in a great light, but I also don't know their experiences and some people can be pretty awful! While he is a picky eater, that is his worst trait which is great in the grand scheme of things. And while I am not his maid, I am the one who cooks the meals in the household and that dynamic works for us! So he wants to try to eat healthier, he desires to, it's just hard for him and his picky brain. So I want to try to discover ways to help him out with that :) there are some great ideas here in the thread.

I've got to learn how to make bone broth, I cook a lot of whole chickens but throw out the bones despite knowing there is stuff I can do with it, I am just not very skilled in the kitchen.

Maybe I was rough on him. Sorry. :( Our circumstances are definitely different and that can give us different perspective, for sure. My dh and I separated for 12 years and he was doing fine cooking for himself. So when we got back together, one of the criteria was I wasn't going to cook for him because he was capable and he would criticize what I made. :/ And some days I absolutely do feel guilty about not cooking because I'm retired and he is not(he's chosen to keep working which is probably healthier for our relationship but that's a whole other topic :)). And I do keep asking him if there's anything special he'd like me to make(as most of us, I have a few signature dishes to my name) so the offer is there for him. He chooses to not eat so many healthier foods and that's on him. :( He also smokes which is on him. :( So I don't have much of a say for him to choose healthier. Trust me, I've tried.

When my firstborn refused veggies, I used spinach to make him smoothie type drinks; would your dh drink those? There'd be so many ways to disguise veggies and fruits there. Meat loaf is another food that could get some blended veggies in. Search for recipes using pumpkin/sweet potato/zucchini; those types of foods can be used in pies, cookies, cakes, brownies, etc., if he has a sweet tooth.

Wishing you much luck in reaching your goals for him. :) AND thank you for being understanding of some of your replies and you're sweet to want to do this for him.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My partner said he didn't like cauliflower and I never cooked it because there are plenty of other cruciferous vegetables that we both like. And then we had Buffalo cauliflower at a restaurant and developed a new appreciation for it.

https://www.franksredhot.com/en-us/recipes/buffalo-cauliflower-bites

Oh, here's another good way to get it in. Chop it small and it is barely noticeable:

https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/cauliflower-mac-and-cheese-recipe/

He's fine with Brussels sprouts if I cook them with bacon or kielbasa.

Ooo thanks for the recipes!! I'll definitely have to try the cauliflower one, if its too small and he doesn't notice/can't taste it much then that's definitely a win!

I don't think he likes brussel sprouts.... or to be honest I don't think he likes the idea of brussell sprouts lmao! Maybe if I tried to convince him they were little...lettuce balls he might be tricked for a second LOL but cooking them with bacon sounds like a great idea, he sure loves bacon haha!

I just wanted to make a comment to what people don't like as opposed to what they've convinced themselves they won't like....one of our dds is vegan, when she was here last time she made vegan mac and cheese. He ate a little, then asked for more, saying it was THE best mac and cheese he'd ever had. This, after complaining about the thought of eating it beforehand. :) Also, for years(like forever!) he'd tell me he didn't like yogurt. Don't ask me what made him change his mind because it happened in those 12 years we were apart, but he now eats Activia every single day. :/ So it's kind of weird how we *know* we're not going to like something before we even give it a try. That's me with sushi. :(
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    You consider this as part of an act of service to your hubby then? Ok; there seems to be a stable of veggies he already likes so no need to stress about range. It's more getting the number of servings up while keeping your current limitations in mind.

* Smoothies
    * Stews
    * Sauces (non-dairy with which to smother raw or cooked veggies)
    * Using homemade, low-sodium veggie broth in recipes instead of water

I'd also just pre-chop what he likes and keep it in an accessible place. At the same time, gradually reduce the other non-veg/non-fruit snack options in the home.

ETA: I wouldn't condone the sneak approach with kids, let alone adults. I think folks should know what they're eating and learn to expand their palette. This takes patience from everyone involved and sometimes multiple approaches. But that's me.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    If he has a real issue with texture like a sensory processing challenge, it can take hundreds of exposures before he’s willing to eat it and IMO thats not really your job at this age. My son is 12 and is like this, needed professional help to not literally get sick when trying to eat. We just let him eat his stuff as separates rather than expect casseroles and salads, etc. He loves a good smoothie! We use a Vitamix blender. For what it’s worth, my father is the same! His only “veggies” are iceberg lettuce and canned peas! 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • watch_out_for_that_tree
    Options
    It'll kind of kill the point of a veggie, but I bet deep fried works.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options

Any veggie hater would kakiage I bet.
    https://www.japanesecooking101.com/kakiage-recipe/
  • watch_out_for_that_tree
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »

Any veggie hater would kakiage I bet.
    https://www.japanesecooking101.com/kakiage-recipe/

I would, but I'm a veggie eater anyways.

Another thing you can try is adding cheese and bacon. Makes everything better but again probably not the mission
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Honestly, if he hates veggies, then just don't eat them. You can be plenty healthy without veggies. In general, i eat veggies a few times a week and its mainly peppers, onions, spinach and avocado (mainly in the form of guacamole). If anything, just add fruits, seeds, nuts and whole grains.

Eta: you can add things like chia seeds or flaxseed into smoothies/protein shakes. Adding more fish/seafood and reducing process foods would be a good first step. If he exercises, that is also great.
  • wi1234567890
    wi1234567890 Posts: 57 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    We love vegetables around here in any form but our favorite way is to grill a lot of them. Eggplant, cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, peppers, onions, carrots, brussel sprouts, romaine lettuce, green beans, corn etc - everything goes on the grill. Depending on the size of the pieces I either place them directly on the grill or in a grill basket. I just very lightly spray the veggies with oil and grill them. They are delicious.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »

ETA: I wouldn't condone the sneak approach with kids, let alone adults. I think folks should know what they're eating and learn to expand their palette. This takes patience from everyone involved and sometimes multiple approaches. But that's me.

I'm one of the ones who recommended that, and TBH, I did it on myself first. So I wasn't "sneaking," because I knew it was there, but I was gradually adapting my taste buds and accepting that I could, in fact, eat things I thought I didn't like and enjoy them. I grew up eating an incredibly narrow range of foods and have found that introducing new foods in a way that's similar to what I've already eaten is usually a good strategy, and it's also one that works on my children. I might call it "sneaking," because of how the flavor or texture is incorporated/hidden, but my kids (and husband) are generally aware that I cook this way and if they ask me what's in something I tell them. But it's a trick I use on myself too.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I married someone who is a much pickier eater than me. We just got into the habit of preparing our own meals, although we're always willing to share if what the other is preparing is appealing.

He didn't eat vegetables regularly until he was in his forties. He began to realize the value of eating them regularly and he started experimenting with different ways to prepare them. He now has a nice little collection of vegetable dishes that he enjoys and eats them daily. The point was that it was what he wanted and he was willing to do the work to find out what appealed to him.