Weight gain after a month of overeating

Options
After years of being overweight I finally.reached my goal weight very slowly and steadily and honestly.without much effort but now I have gained 6 kilos in 6 weeks of overeating everyday. It's depressing me and giving me anxiety! If I gained 6 kilos in 6 weeks, would it be possible to loose those 6 kilos in 6 weeks if I stop overeating & go back to my normal eating? How long would it take to loose

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,126 Member
    Options
    6kg = 46.200 calories
    So gaining 6kg in 6 weeks means eating 1100 calories per day over maintenance
    And losing 6kg in 6 weeks implies a deficit of 1100 calories per day (1100 calories less than maintenance)

If you're only 6kg overweight, that's not a good plan, a large deficit like that will most likely backfire. And a large deficit of 1100 calories per day is not what I would call 'normal eating'. So no, it will most likely take longer than that.

Without knowing your height and current weight, it's hard to say what is an appropriate rate of loss for you.
  • saraheid
    saraheid Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am currently 167cm and 70 kilos
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,126 Member
    Options
    You're at a BMI of (just above) 25. 6kg in 6 weeks definitely is not a good idea. Try 0.25 or 0.5kg per week, that will be a more sustainable approach (= a daily deficit of 225 or 550 calories per day).
  • saraheid
    saraheid Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Based on what you said I need to cut back 1100 to loose it in 6 weeks whoch is obviously not healthy so I'm assuming that means cutting 550 I should be able to loose it in 12 weeks which sounds reasonable and doable.
    Thanks for the info!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    saraheid wrote: »
    Based on what you said I need to cut back 1100 to loose it in 6 weeks whoch is obviously not healthy so I'm assuming that means cutting 550 I should be able to loose it in 12 weeks which sounds reasonable and doable.
    Thanks for the info!

Theoretically...but in reality you may lose quite a lot of it fairly quickly by just going back to eating at your maintenance calories.

I wouldn't put a time limit on it since you just recently lost weight and then gained some scale weight right afterwards. That first year of Maintenance is pretty slippery in general. I was all over the place in weight in that first year after my 80 pound loss.