How'd you find MFP?

Options
2»

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    My dietician recommended MFP, during my first visit, about two or three months in to my weight loss. Single best piece of advice she gave me.

The wierd thing is, I must have been here before, because my user name was taken, though I have no recollection of it at all. The only other time I tried to lose weight was 10 or 15 years ago when our health insurance carrier agreed to pay for a reduction if I got down to 180. I did, and they reneged. I was so mad at them, I put the weight back on as some kind of idiotic backhanded revenge.

In retrospect it makes absolutely no sense now, but at the time I was so mad I was seeing fireworks. My husband ended up telling me we could afford it and to just do it if it meant that much to me.

It was absolutely life changing to no longer feel like people saw something besides a giant pair of boobs.

Anyway, I seldom run into anyone else using this oddball user name, although I know there’s one other person out there. So it always puzzles me: was that me?! or that “other” Springlering?

And if it was me, OMG, if I’d seen the light that many years earlier…….
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I must have found MFP either through Google or through some article that mentioned it, back in 2011. I created an account but never used it and forgot all about it.
    In 2018, I decided to lose weight and, again through Google or some online article, I stumbled across MFP only to realize I had an old account already. I started using it faithfully, and I have not missed a day yet. :)
  • JMinJordan
    JMinJordan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    MFP was recommended online. I joined a week ago. I’m tracking. I have no friends yet. I’m 2 lbs down, so it’s working so far! I need to keep it up!
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,189 Member
    Options
    Back in 2013 I was tired of being heavy so googled calorie counting website and got this
  • SpinforCals
    SpinforCals Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Broke my ankle and after months non weight bearing I needed a change
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,291 Member
    Options
    I was active on SparkPeople, off and on, for many years. And right before they went away there was much discussion on the various forums there about which places we might choose to migrate to after they pulled the plug. I tried their new website, Spark America, but it wasn’t the same at all. MFP seemed like it was a popular destination for us SparkPeople refugees. And I love the barcode scanner, TBH.

And so here I am!
  • florafaun
    florafaun Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i had used it years ago.!!

i heard about it from my friend group. recently i wanted to get back in shape and searched for a ♡calorie counter♡ in the app store and it popped up! immediately downloaded and it's helped me so much to stay on track even just for the 5 days ive used it Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ..
  • daniellgeyer
    daniellgeyer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've used it for calorie / macro tracking off and on, but just discovered the community part of MFP.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't remember how I found MFP. I had started an account years ago but wasn't serious about losing weight. Then in 2013 something finally clicked and I told myself enough is enough. Over the next 3 years I lost 90 pounds. Since then I've kept the weight off most of the time. If I find the scale is creeping up higher than my tolerance then I recommit and get it back down again.

The community support on here helped me tremendously and I'm not sure I could have lost the weight without that aspect of the journey. Early on I joined a group which over the years has dwindled to about 6 core members. Sometimes we chat every day. Sometimes we go a few days between checking in. I needed that connection while I was losing the weight and now the people have become part of my every day life, even though we live thousands of miles apart :)
  • madeleinegarry
    madeleinegarry Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Someone on Twitter reported losing 104 pounds. She said she had used both MFP and Noom and had found food journaling to be the most effective tool for consistently controlling her calorie intake. She recommended MFP for people who can't (or don't want to) pay for Noom and she praised the ease of MFP's food logging program.