Weight Loss Battle -

Options
When is it hardest for you to lose weight - and Why? And how do you overcome it? I struggle over the summer months because there are so many temptations because of vacations and travel. I try to overcome it by when I eat out on vacation I ask for a doggie bag at the beginning of my meal and put half of my meal in it.And always stay at a hotel with a frig in my room and a mini microwave. I try to get up early on vacation and include a sightseeing walk for a mile in the vacation plan for the day. Your challenge season

Replies

• jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Probably around christmas. It's because of the things i only get to eat once a year, like specific christmas cookies or christmas dishes. When i was in a serious losing weight mode i just didn't make any to avoid the temptation. Now i'm maintaining, so i can limit myself to one a day and be happy i get to eat them.
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Probably around christmas. It's because of the things i only get to eat once a year, like specific christmas cookies or christmas dishes. When i was in a serious losing weight mode i just didn't make any to avoid the temptation. Now i'm maintaining, so i can limit myself to one a day and be happy i get to eat them.

Thanks, Jenny - Christmas is hard for me too, but I just seem to be able to just say no to cookies, but Ice Cream on the other hand in summer to cool off in the heat of Texas is really hard to control that craving. I am in maintenance too. It took me 3 1/2 years to lose 105 pounds so I am looking for all the advice I can get to keep it off so thanks for sharing. Have a great day.
  • justanotherloser007
    justanotherloser007 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Weekends are the worst battle for me. My hubby is home from work, he loves to eat out. There is no such thing as a 300 calorie meal at a restaurant. I am an excuser as well, a "just this time" every single time gal. The hubby encourages bad food habits and could absolutely care less that I find it difficult to limit, say no, etc. And they come, every single week...
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Weekends are the worst battle for me. My hubby is home from work, he loves to eat out. There is no such thing as a 300 calorie meal at a restaurant. I am an excuser as well, a "just this time" every single time gal. The hubby encourages bad food habits and could absolutely care less that I find it difficult to limit, say no, etc. And they come, every single week...

OP also mentioned this but my go-to strategy for restaurants, if I only have a few hundred calories to work with for that meal, is to ask for a box as soon as the food comes out and immediately pack up half of it. That takes your 1200-calorie restaurant meal down to a much more manageable 600, which is reasonable for a dinner (or any proper meal, really, IMO 300 cal is a snack. A big snack, but still, a snack). It's much easier, I think, to do that at the start of the meal rather than try to stop halfway and pack up the rest - I always end up packing up more like a third rather than half, and then picking at it while the rest of my party finishes their meals. The other piece of this strategy is picking things that will either reheat well or taste good cold, and there is a lot of overlap between that and the better-for-you stuff on the menu, usually. Most places that offer options for side dishes have at least a token "healthy" side (usually steamed broccoli, sometimes fruit salad); things that were baked or grilled will reheat better than things that were fried, as a general rule. After that, the other key I've found is being OK with letting those leftovers go. Maybe I'll find space in my budget to eat the rest of it another day. Maybe my husband will have to eat it. Maybe I'll have to toss them because I can't afford to eat them before they go off and he isn't interested in what I got. And I need to be OK with all three of those possibilities.

Beyond that, though, you should probably talk to your husband...giving even half a flying fox about your needs is kind of his job? as a spouse?
  • justanotherloser007
    Options
    We have been married for 26 years, and he recently literally saved my life! He is my best friend, especially after all these years. You think I could easily talk to him about such things. Thank you for saying that, I will work up the courage after I reflect why I became so darn cowardly about needs. Sure I can ask for things of no importance and do all the time, but the necessary stuff? You think I was asking to pull my back teeth out with no pain killers!
  • justanotherloser007
    Options
    BTW I would normally agree with you about the meals, but I have severe medical issues so I can't really get moving well atm. So 1400 cal a day is a maintenance weight for me. Later on, hopefully when I get the chronic anemia sorted (please God help me) I can get to some active lifestyle. That would be a dream come true! Until then, the only way I can lose weight right now is 1200 cal.