What food are you Craving Right Now - how do you handle cravings

Options
mpkpbk2015
mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
Most of my cravings are for foods that are food carbs and I have a limited amount of carbs that I eat a day. My question for the group is how to you out there in MFP handle your cravings. I have been drinking lots of water but that has only gotten me so far any other suggestions? Right now I am craving chocolate real bad.

Replies

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    if it's a real craving and has lasted more than a day or two I make room in my calories (either calorie bank if it's some huge thing like fish and chips or just eat less for the day if it's smaller) and then eat the thing.

But I don't restrict any food group or macronutrient.

I don't DO long term white-knuckling deprivation of myself. An urge that will pass, sure. An actual craving? Nope. Denying that indefinitely is a fast track to me breaking and WAY over eating instead of just satisfying the craving.

• ldaltonbishop
    ldaltonbishop Posts: 97 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    If I need chocolate I eat a half ounce of 85% cacoa or higher for about three carbs. It's not sweet enough that I want to binge, yet I feel like I've had a good dose of chocolate because it's intense.

What I crave are macaroni and cheese and nachos. I try to limit sodium as well as carbs and those are extremes. So those treats are just very, very rare.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I'm with wunderkindking. The more I focus on what I think I "can't" have, the more I seem to want it. I don't limit macros, but instead try to hit certain ones. Huge difference in mindset. I also have the belief that I can absolutely eat anything I want to, it's just whether or not I want to have it. If I find myself really wanting something, I'll see if it passes and if not, I find a way to fit it in.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Honestly not really something I have to contend with. My focus is on my overall nutrition and I eat a very nutritious diet overall, but I don't have any food restrictions or elimination foods. Having "sometimes" foods sometimes isn't really a big deal for me in the big picture of my overall nutrition.
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My typical cravings are pizza, mac and cheese and Burger King.

I've found some healthier substitutes that somewhat help. For example, I found a cauliflower crust pizza that tastes good and is lower in calories. Sometimes it just doesn't fulfill that craving and I need to treat myself. I tend to workout a little extra to make room for it in my diet and I will also limit myself on how much I order. For example, instead of ordering a large pizza to have leftovers, I just order a small. It gives me less room to try to justify eating more.

The other thing I tend to do more often than not is think about all the perishable items I have sitting at home. I have some cottage cheese that is about to expire, along with some veggies that are close to going bad. I should eat these items first to avoid waste.
  • ChaoticMoira
    ChaoticMoira Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am like several others here. I don't eliminate any of the macros. I just know that elimination of anything will not be sustainable for me. I do what SpeakEasy, above mentioned..
    I don't limit macros, but instead try to hit certain ones. Huge difference in mindset.

By focusing on what I need to eat (for my plan that is protein) it helps just naturally shift my mind without even trying. Because I am not thinking, "what do I want to eat," or "what sounds good." I am thinking what lean protein am I having... Also, I meal plan, and prep for a week out, so I literally never have to think about what I am having for a meal or snack. This is probably the thing that has cut out my thinking of other foods more than anything..

I do still get the random craving. It is worth it to take some time to find good substitutions for any of your usual junk food loves. Like for me, I was able to substitute tacos, burgers, ice cream and chocolate easily. I just make healthier homemade versions. I keep homemade 35 calorie fudgesicles in my freezer, cause chocolate is my big bad.. But if I truly can't stop thinking about it, I have it..

I had bbq chicken pizza a few weeks ago and it didn't affect my weight loss at all. I did go a little easier the following day just to make up for it slightly, but nothing crazy - I didn't skip any meals or anything major.. I feel like as long as I don't go over my calories too often, it is not a big deal.