Old leg wound, what exercises to you recommend?

Options
lilRicki
lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
My fiance snapped his leg when he was 13, and has had 3 surgeries on it since. Below is an example of the fracture (I don't have his personal xrays, so this is pretty close from google)

th_spic22_zps7650908b.jpg

And this is the surgery he had done

th_10295w_zps21af408b.jpg

Anyone in the same boat that can recommend some good exercises that won't destroy his leg? I was thinking spinning, the pin is currently rubbing against his knee cap, and he's getting it looked at right now, so he is in a considerable amount of pain

what I'm asking is, it's going to take a year to get this thing fixed, is there any form of exercises he can do until his leg is better?

Replies

• thoshowski
    thoshowski Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Maybe try swimming. I truly don't know ricki, just an idea!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I would ask the doc to recommend exercises or to refer me to a rehab center where trainers can recommend exercises.
  • lilRicki
    Options
    That's a good idea though. And we have a pool right by our house. I'm putting our son in swimming lessons this winter, I bet I can get my fiance to take a class with me while our child learns how to bob in the water
  • lilRicki
    Options
    I would ask the doc to recommend exercises or to refer me to a rehab center where trainers can recommend exercises.

we did...rehab isn't covered with such an old injury. She said the only thing she can think of was trial and error until the leg is fixed, and then he should be good as new. I'm just seeing what's out there. I'm definitely not going to let him do something stupid. we have lots of resources here, and the top medical research facility in North America...but I would like him to try something
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I have 13 screws in my left leg since 2010, had a bad accident and broke 6 bones as a result, I do all exercises. It helps.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options

we did...rehab isn't covered with such an old injury. She said the only thing she can think of was trial and error until the leg is fixed, and then he should be good as new. I'm just seeing what's out there. I'm definitely not going to let him do something stupid. we have lots of resources here, and the top medical research facility in North America...but I would like him to try something

Even if it's not covered, maybe you could afford a visit or two for an evaluation and fitness plan?

Otherwise trial and error should do the trick. I had to try a few things when I hurt my knee next year. The point is, don't give up! If it hurts one way, try another until you find something.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options

Even if it's not covered, maybe you could afford a visit or two for an evaluation and fitness plan?

Otherwise trial and error should do the trick. I had to try a few things when I hurt my knee next year. The point is, don't give up! If it hurts one way, try another until you find something.

Agree. I tore my Achilles in 2007 and rehab took a long time. Instead of paying for endless rehab, I just got tips from docs whenever I'd go in and I'd walk into rehab centers for a free trial, ask questions, and then go home and develop my own workouts.

I did a lot of swimming and "running" in the pool (just to get myself used to putting stress on the leg. From there, I graduated to stationary bikes, then to ellipticals, then to the treadmill and then to the track. Now I run. Researching, giving myself time, exercising caution, and being committed made the difference to me (just ran 10 miles yesterday morning, scheduled for 6 tomorrow morning). It'll make the difference for you guys too.

Good luck! Leg injuries suck a fat one...but you guys can overcome it. :)
  • lilRicki
    Options
    awesome, thanx jz...I think i might have convinced him to take aquafit at our neighbourhood leisure center. It's only for an hour 2 days a week, but it's something. And maybe we can go family fun swimming on other evenings. Here's to hoping!