Getting Back in Shape After 80 Pound Pandemic Weight Gain - Please Help!

Options

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    BABY STEPS
    You said it yourself.

Baby steps.

Habits take time to make, and they take time to break.

I see you. I know you’ve got this.

Solidarity! You will get there. Eventually. I promise. Just don’t give up no matter what!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    CurvyEmmy wrote: »
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    One of the main reasons logging works is that it does exactly what you said... it forces accountability and makes you stare how much you're eating straight in the face. Uncomfortable? Yes. But it's only when you're faced with the reality of once again having to acknowledge how much you're actually eating that you will eat less and lose weight. Denial will not help you, even though it's more comfortable.

Honestly I struggled a lot with logging because I felt SO uncomfortable with it. I stopped for awhile but I’m trying to start again.

I’m used to just eating whatever I feel like having in that moment and not giving a crap about how much… I did a lot of mindless snacking throughout the day because it felt good. I didn’t wanna deprive my self of a treat whenever I felt like it because I need it for my emotional well being. I always felt like I deserve to indulge my self every time I felt a craving.

I knew I didn’t eat healthy but I honestly had clue just how MUCH I ate until I started logging.

It feels really, really uncomfortable to realize that you consume in 1 day:
    • 5 cans of soda
    • 4 bags of chips
    • 7 bags of M&Ms
    • 32 Oreo cookies

And if I wasn’t logging it I would have told you “I only had a few cookies!” If you mindlessly eat and if you’re not paying attention 32 can fly by and feel like only a few!! :open_mouth:

This has been a massive wake up call for me… it is super, super uncomfortable for me to talk about this so please be nice.

I’m embarrassed to talk about how many calories I have per day… but it’s usually over 4,000… I feel so ashamed when I see the numbers :(

Someone told me I gain a pound of fat for every 3,500 calories so it makes sense why I gained so much because I’m putting pounds of fat into my oft every week :(

That is so gross and uncomfortable to think about but it’s STILL so hard to change :(

I’m not even close to a calorie deficit but I’m trying to make baby steps… my problem is my stomach has gotten so used to getting all the snacks and big meals every day, anything less than what I’m used to feels like a huge shock :(

The snacks are on top of my meals which are bigger now than a year ago… my portion sizes grew a lot during the pandemic because I felt so stressed and so depressed and I was at such a bad place emotionally I just felt like “I deserve this and I need this as a pick me up” and I gradually ate more until I was ordering two cheeseburgers when normally I would have one (for example).

Food is SO emotional for me and it was my biggest coping mechanism during the pandemic. And now it’s SO hard to reduce my calories because I feel hungry so easily and I feel the biggest cravings and I just don’t feel satisfied at all if I don’t get what I feel like having….

Like I wanna lose weight but I can’t just feel hungry and unsatisfied all the time.

Please be nice because this is a very, very sensitive embarrassing topic….

Logging sure can be eye opening! I went through that when I did WW in the 90s and saw just how many points wine had :(

I've had my ups and downs with emotional eating since I was 12 ish, 32 years ago. I can normally manage my stress with regular exercise, and increased exercise in times of increased stress, but the pandemic was too much for me. I reached out for therapy in March 2020, and got in for video visits very quickly.

I didn't care for my first therapist, who was an intern. (Note to self: no more interns. This was my second suboptimal experience with interns I realize they have to learn on someone, but it doesn't have to be me.) Now I'm with a PhD, and she's wonderful.

I'm sure you realize you are not satisfying a PHYSICAL need with the Oreos, M&Ms, large potions, etc., but an EMOTIONAL one. So step 1 is to find ways to satisfy your emotional needs with something other than food. Working with a therapist could be the fastest and simplest way to do this.

Meanwhile, this book on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for overeating was available in my library system, so perhaps yours as well.

The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person

Can thinking and eating like a thin person be learned, similar to learning to drive or use a computer? Beck (Cognitive Therapy for Challenging Problems) contends so, based on decades of work with patients who have lost pounds and maintained weight through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). Beck's six-week program adapts CBT, a therapeutic system developed by Beck's father, Aaron, in the 1960s, to specific challenges faced by yo-yo dieters, including negative thinking, bargaining, emotional eating, bingeing, and eating out. Beck counsels readers day-by-day, introducing new elements (creating advantage response cards, choosing a diet, enlisting a diet coach, making a weight-loss graph) progressively and offering tools to help readers stay focused (writing exercises, to-do lists, ways to counter negative thoughts). There are no eating plans, calorie counts, recipes or exercises; according to Beck, any healthy diet will work if readers learn to think differently about eating and food. Beck's book is like an extended therapy session with a diet coach. (Apr.)
  • kshama2001
    Options
    CurvyEmmy wrote: »
    Girl I hear you! I gained at least 30lbs in the last year and 100 additional lbs in the last 5 years. It sucks. Start small. I find swimming as a great low impact activity. I joined LA fitness for the pool. Feel free to add me.

Thank you!! :) Good idea but swimming is exhausting! :# I also don't have a swimsuit that fits anymore and trying to find one I'm comfortable with feels emotionally exhausting. Ugh :/

I got to your weight while in an abusive relationship. I love to swim, but yes it is exhausting when out of shape. These days, I only swim in fresh water, so struggle at the beginning of every season. I start for shorts amount of time, but do work up to 50 minutes by the end of the season.

Re suit shopping, yes, it can be awful. I have two criteria - it fits, and it has cross straps, cuz I'm not going to fuss with straps while I swim. I was swimming in a simply HIDEOUS suit from Walmart, but it met those two criteria and allowed me to get into the water. When my stomach is uncomfortably large, I feel better in a "swim dress." My sister likes swim shorts and belly-covering swim tops.

But this is for ourselves, no one at the Y cared about my hideous suit :lol:

I love this:

efpdpvah7sad.jpg

Which I got from here many years ago:

https://www.womanwithin.com/w/swimwear/swim-dresses/
  • kshama2001
    Options
    My OH "doesn't really cook" either, but as he can make various egg dishes, tuna fish sandwiches, tuna melts, hot dogs and beans, and is great on the grill, if he had to or wanted to, he could certainly feed himself from meals he cooked. (I would want him to add veggies.) He lacks the desire though. Fortunately, I have more than enough for the both of us :smiley:

For visual people who want to learn how to cook, I recommend Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meals.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/30-minute-meals
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30_Minute_Meals
    ...The show specializes in convenience cooking for those with little time to cook.

For those who prefer to read: "The Joy of Cooking," which is available in my library system, so perhaps yours as well. I love to test drive cook books before I buy them, and the library has been a wonderful resource.

Speaking of libraries, we hosted a party last night and were talking about the movies "A Quiet Place" and the sequel. My neighbor said she got it for only $20. I got it for free from our library system :)
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and so moving hurts if I don't do it regularly. What has helped me a lot is yoga. Some of the poses I do on the bed because my sacrum is way too sore to lie on the floor. But just lifting my legs straight up in the air and then lowering them to the bed has, over the years, become the ability to hold my legs at a 45 degree angle for 45 seconds. (I'm working towards a minute.) I have a surprising amount of core strength, and the stretching aspect of yoga helps me not tighten up and ache. Given that I've been in a car accident and have arthritis and unequal leg length, I have to push back against that tightening up full time.

There's a lot of videos on line that will show you how to modify the poses to work around having thick thighs or a fat belly (I have that too) and are not demanding or woo.

• CurvyEmmy
    CurvyEmmy Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and so moving hurts if I don't do it regularly. What has helped me a lot is yoga. Some of the poses I do on the bed because my sacrum is way too sore to lie on the floor. But just lifting my legs straight up in the air and then lowering them to the bed has, over the years, become the ability to hold my legs at a 45 degree angle for 45 seconds. (I'm working towards a minute.) I have a surprising amount of core strength, and the stretching aspect of yoga helps me not tighten up and ache. Given that I've been in a car accident and have arthritis and unequal leg length, I have to push back against that tightening up full time.

There's a lot of videos on line that will show you how to modify the poses to work around having thick thighs or a fat belly (I have that too) and are not demanding or woo.

Is this good? https://youtu.be/zUnjJdJitPw

I am usually really intimidated by workout videos because I can’t keep up with them and then I just feel bad. I think I might be able to do this one tho!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    When you're in the fog like you are... just repeat your behaviors and habits that you had when you snapped that "before" photo. I advise this.. because I've been in your shoes.. we all have.. when you really can't believe what has happened to the old better me?!!! It is confusing and we start grasping at straws. Don't try new stuff. Thats just a waste of time.. wheel spinning.
    You mentioned how you never ate take out every night before the pandemic.. So.. start there.. You're not working from home.. so no more naps and zero activity .. that's good. Get back to cooking or eating what you used to eat. Get back to your old eating and movement patterns. The weight will come off.
  • CurvyEmmy
    Options
    Hi guys… it’s been 15 months since I made this post and it’s time for an update.

This is difficult update to post and I procrastinated on it for a long time because I’m not proud of it BUT nothing’s gonna change unless I get help so PLEASE be supportive and encouraging and tell me nice things that will make me feel better about my body because I desperately want that right now. PLEASE don’t shame me and don’t say anything judgemental about my weight loss journey. Weight and body image are super sensitive topics for me. It took a lot of courage to make the first post and I almost quit this forum because some people were shaming me for not dieting enough and not exercising. This is my journey and you have no right to judge so please be encouraging and positive ONLY.

If you haven’t read my original post please read that first because it will explain a lot. The pandemic totally scared the crap out of me and I was afraid to go out for a year. I coped by binging Netflix all day and stress eating feel-good foods. The only exercise I got was walking to the bathroom or the front door to pick up deliveries. I was able to work from home at first. I put on about 80 pounds in a little over a year. They called us back into the office and I really struggled. I didn’t have clothes that fit. I was very out of shape so the commute and walking down the hall and the stairs (I took the long way so I could use the elevator instead) would leave me breathless. I was the only one still wearing a mask but I was super afraid to take it off.

I was 240 pounds when I joined MFP because I knew something had to change. Since then… it’s been a roller coaster. I haven’t been consistent because I have trouble focusing and I lose my patience really quickly with stuff like that that requires work, but I’m trying and I did get my daily calorie count a few times.

I’m not able to eat the “recommended” calories because my tummy has gotten physically larger so it needs bigger portions or snacks in order for it to feel full. I need to make sure I feel completely satisfied thoroughout the day and I can’t be feeling hungry so I’m trying to find foods that taste satisfying and fill me up but have lower calories. It’s hard because I have a huge sweet tooth and when I’m stressed chocolate is like the only thing that soothes me emotionally! So I switched to lower calorie options like low fat chocolate pudding and ice cream. I also switched to diet sodas because I realized I drink several bottles each day and that sugar adds up to a lot. Just with those baby steps I was able to go down from 4,000 calories per day to about 3,000.

Exercise at my weight is not easy so please don’t judge or shame me. I got a gym membership but I only went once because I felt very uncomfortable. I was a lot bigger than the other girls there and I felt guys staring at me. I couldn’t find workout clothes that fit well (hold in my tummy) so my tummy would hang out and my yoga pants show my butt and every roll and cellulite. Ugh I felt like it was all on display in front of everyone. I was also the only one wearing a mask and that made me super uncomfortable. I left after a few minutes. I am so angry that other people won’t wear masks because they just show that you care about the other person and some people need them to feel comfortable.

I couldn’t go to the gym anymore but walking from my car to my office was leaving me breathless so I decided that walk was enough exercise for now because I’m not really strong enough to do more yet!

So just with those baby steps I managed to get my weight down from 264 to 242!! :)

BUT I got laid off from my job and that shocked me and binge eating came right back because I needed something for comfort and just feeling good again. I decided I just needed to prioritize my mental and emotional health and not stress about my weight.

So I’m taking a break from work and my parents are helping me financially so I can just take care of my self and prioritize my well being first. :) I bought a Peloton but the seat feels very small for my butt lol. Has anyone else had this problem? I feel like it’s not designed for a plus size woman’s body and that makes me so angry. So I’m not riding it right now but I’m looking for something more comfortable for me to sit on!!

Due to the binge episodes after I got laid off, I unfortunately lost my progress. My weight fluctuates around 270-280.

I need HELP please and new solutions because the stuff you guys told me to do just isn’t working for me. I have tried everything, I have tried the gym and the bike and the calorie counting and reducing sugar. Someone please help me because nothing is working.

I also need help finding clothes I can feel confident in. I know the weight won’t come off overnight. In the meantime, I am a very curvy and voluptuous woman and I deserve to feel confident and sexy about my body, just like any other woman. It’s just hard to find the right shapewear and clothes to accentuate my curves and hide my tummy. I’m kind of apple shaped so my tummy fat is really prominent. Can someone help?

Updated photos are below. The first 2 we’re around 240 and the second 2 are closer to now. In addition to my belly, my arms got a lot bigger and I feel really weird about that. So it took a lot of courage to post these but I feel like you guys need to see the real me so you can help me!! Please be nice and encouraging, good vibes only because I cannot handle any shaming or judgment right now.

qbjg4oeogvnj.jpeg

y6taoqrj5jmd.jpeg

5ngq7gwd9jay.jpeg

hy92cbe6ygtw.jpeg

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I guess after reading your posts, I'd ask "How badly do you want it?"

In all the things you've tried I haven't seen therapy mentioned. Some people just can't lose until they are mentally ready. Certain issues need to be resolved.

Asking people to be super nice means you might miss out on some good advice.

You don't need to exercise to lose weight. BUT you do need to get your eating under control. Cooking for yourself makes a big difference, I know you say you don't want to, but sometimes we just need to bite the bullet and do things we don't like to.

You may think I'm "mean", but if you really want to change, you have to start--no excuses. Otherwise, you'll be back every year with the same problem. Be consistent and you will lose. If this isn't possible, try therapy. There is always a way.

I truely wish you success.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    You are lovely and sexy (said in the most kind granny-like, purest way possible). Also, you have a beautiful smile.

I don't have ideas for all of your questions, but have some thoughts on a couple.

First, the Peleton seat. One thing you could try is a gel seat cover, see if that helps. (I've bought them from Amazon. They give dimensions of the seat they'll fit. The go over the bike's seat and there's a drawstring or elastic to hold them in place.) That can make the seat a little more wide and squishy, maybe more comfortable.

You might find that real bike shorts with padding (a.k.a. a "chamois") might help, but when I was plus size I had trouble finding any that would fit me. Bike clothes are weird: Even XL is tiny!

Realistically, though, if you're not used to cycling, there is an adaptation process that's normal. Unfortunately, it feels weird and even kind of sore on the lady parts and surrounding body for a while. I started taking spin classes at my YMCA while I was still obese, and the seat hurt at first, not gonna lie. Getting a gel seat cover to take with me helped. But mostly, I needed to keep at it until those parts . . . basically toughened up. (It doesn't cause desensitization of those body parts for . . . other things, where you might not want that, in case you're wondering. No need to worry.)

The adaptation doesn't take forever. But it takes time. Consider doing short sessions on your Peleton, but kind of regularly, like at least every other day. Start with what you can tolerate with only mild weird feelings or discomfort. As that amount gets manageable, gradually increase. Give it a good chance.

Unfortunately, this is another of those cases where change isn't going to happen if we stay completely inside our comfort zone all the time. It shouldn't be awful or unbearable, but it won't always be lovely and comfortable. Change is hard. It has costs. But it also has rewards.

On the food front, to feel full, it will be necessary to keep experimenting, trying different combinations of food, times you eat that food, etc. Different people find different things filling.

You mention needing some food volume. In case you haven't seen it, you might find some ideas in this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10563959/volume-eaters-thread/p1

It's long. There are lots of ideas.

You also mention liking sweets. It's OK to keep chipping away at that, trying things with non-caloric sweeteners. Also, don't forget about fruit. For me, increasing fruit (several fruits daily) helped me manage my cravings for higher-calorie sweets. That doesn't work for everyone, but I'm not the only one here who's found it helpful, so it's maybe worth a try if you haven't.

I'm sorry, but I can't help you with the mask issue. I'm still wearing a mask when I'm in people-y places, and sometimes I'm the only one, or nearly the only one. I don't care; if others don't like it, they can lump it. I'm going to wear it. I can't control their behavior, so even I wish they would, that's out of my control. I have to let it go, no other realistic choice.

With apologies, I also can't help with clothes. I'm not very fashion-centric, not very interested in clothing. It's a limitation for me, but not one I've chosen to work on so far. Some of my friends who are still overweight do lovely things with all the tricks like using a light-colored top underneath a darker open figure-skimming jacket with some narrower slacks/leggings, then using a long rectangular scarf artfully knotted and hanging down to create lots of vertical lines, and they look very nice. I don't know how to do that stuff. I think there are videos and stuff about it on the web, though.

I wish I had more suggestions, but that's about it from me. I do wish you success. Please stick with it, I'm sure you can reach your goals! It will take some time, and sadly there will be some challenges and discomfort, but it shouldn't be un-do-ably difficult if you can just keep chipping away and making gradual progress when you have the motivation/energy to do it, then holding the line as much as possible in between those times so as not to backtrack.

I'm cheering for you!

• cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    I would try listening to the following podcast series “weight loss made real” by cookie rosenblum. She’s a psychologist who specialises in emotional eating.

It is possible for you to lose the weight. Hold on to that thought.
  • CurvyEmmy
    Options
    Thank you!! Yes, I am going to get a bigger bike seat and take baby steps so I get more comfortable cycling. Right now it’s really hard. I’m out of breath and need to stop after a minute of cycling. It’s discouraging and I feel like I can’t really do it. I guess even 1 minute is better than nothing?

Yes, food is very emotional for me. I feel my feelings very strongly and food is the only way I know how to cope. Especially sweet and sugary stuff.

It was really hard to make my update post and basically tell everyone that I made zero progress and gained even more weight.

I feel like people think I’m not trying. But I am trying. So. Hard.

I have trouble focusing and I get distracted easily so logging consistently is really hard for me.

I feel very overwhelmed all the time and food is what soothes me so I allow myself little treats for my emotional health but I realize that I lose track of what I eat.

Like I thought I had “a few” Oreos but when I counted them up it was over 20. Or “a few” M&Ms ends up being the whole “family” size bag lol.

It’s worse when I watch TV because I get really mindless with food. But if I don’t eat anything I feel so bored and restless.

It’s like I need something sweet in my mouth at all times to feel safe and comfortable. It used to be soda but 6+ bottles per day is too much sugar so now I am being smart and drinking a LOT of the super sweet tasting flavored water and maybe the extra water will fill up my big tummy so I won’t eat so much food.

I don’t know, I feel like even when I’m full I still get these intense cravings to eat. It’s not physical, it is emotional, I don’t know why I’m like this that I just crave sweet stuff constantly, like unless I’m really distracted by something I can’t turn it off and it feels totally overwhelming. Why am I like this?

Guys, I want to lose weight - I DO want it so bad, and I. Am. Trying. I am trying so freaking hard.

I’m crying as I write this. Why is this so hard for me? Someone make it easier.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    No one can make it easier for you. Make one small positive change at a time. Do that for a month. Then make another change. Do that die a while. Keep adding small changes. You can’t change every overnight. Sustainable changes are what you want.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    A minute is better than nothing! Try to do a minute, take a break, go for another minute. Next week try 90 seconds instead of 60. You can get there but it'll take time. You'll get stronger and you'll start to feel better. Just keep at it.
  • CurvyEmmy
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    A minute is better than nothing! Try to do a minute, take a break, go for another minute. Next week try 90 seconds instead of 60. You can get there but it'll take time. You'll get stronger and you'll start to feel better. Just keep at it.

Thank you!!! I feel too big for the peloton I’m afraid I’m gonna fall off lol. Maybe I should get a treadmill and just walk instead? I’m not used to peddling so my muscles feel like they’re on fire after just a few seconds :( I kind of freaked out the first time because I felt uncomfortable but I’m gonna try to push through and peddle over a minute straight without stopping. I feel embarrassed that I’m so weak but I’m like a big baby when it comes to exercise lol this is my baby step!
  • kshama2001
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I read this thread https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10876801/sugar-addict right before coming to yours and think a lot of the advice there might help you as well.

While I am a huge proponent of exercise and agree with the "minute here, minute there" advice above I think far more important for you is to get the food part under control. I earned almost 1,000 exercise calories yesterday and STILL went over my calorie budget by eating too much.

Prelogging would be a great aid to both of us :smile:

Also - are you in therapy? I lost my therapist in July and this was a huge setback :disappointed:
  • CurvyEmmy
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I read this thread https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10876801/sugar-addict right before coming to yours and think a lot of the advice there might help you as well.

While I am a huge proponent of exercise and agree with the "minute here, minute there" advice above I think far more important for you is to get the food part under control. I earned almost 1,000 exercise calories yesterday and STILL went over my calorie budget by eating too much.

Prelogging would be a great aid to both of us :smile:

Also - are you in therapy? I lost my therapist in July and this was a huge setback :disappointed:

I’m scared to do therapy tbh.

It’s pretty obvious that I overeat for emotional reasons. I don’t know if it can be solved without therapy I just feel scared to face my feelings so food is my distraction and comfort place and coping mechanism, it’s really really hard to let go of that :(