Weight Gainer....

Hey guys... Im sure this has been asked before but what recommendations as far as weight gainers would you all give to someone like myself to put on some LMM. I don't want to just start to shovel food down... I want to stay as lean as I can but I know that is difficult to do. I was looking at a few and it looks like ON Pro Complex Gainer (http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/gainer.html) looks like a good choice to me. It looks like it has low fats, and low sugars (compared to other WG's). Anyone have any experience with this product or any others?

Replies

• Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Honestly I don't have any recommendations, but maybe others do.

My personal method is to start eating at maintenance, count calories/macros, and then slowly up calories over a period of time...using regular food.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Hey guys... Im sure this has been asked before but what recommendations as far as weight gainers would you all give to someone like myself to put on some LMM. I don't want to just start to shovel food down... I want to stay as lean as I can but I know that is difficult to do. I was looking at a few and it looks like ON Pro Complex Gainer (http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/gainer.html) looks like a good choice to me. It looks like it has low fats, and low sugars (compared to other WG's). Anyone have any experience with this product or any others?

Weight gainers are no better than whole foods for lean mass gains or staying lean. Staying leanish will depend on the size of the surplus you run. Plus gainers are overpriced when you could just add pb/nutella/ice cream to a protein shake to add more cals
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    I think the best basic message is to slowly add calories, such as 100-200/day over maintenance. It's the same premise as losing, you don't want to lose or gain to rapidly. You don't necessarily need the powders to add LMM. Just increase the size of your meals by adding in some extra complex carbs and lean proteins. Eat an extra grilled chicken breast with dinner and another half cup of brown rice and that should be good to go. As you start to see changes, tweak the calories more to add more and it should be a pretty easy stepwise process.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Just make your own using protein powder as a base and add ingredients such as various carb sources and fat sources. The options are unlimited.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    They are a waste of money and there is nothing about them that will increase LMM gains anymore than just increasing calories from regular food.

Spend your money on some good tasting protein powders for convenience if you need to help supplement your protein intake.

Hit your protein and fat macro targets and eat in slight surplus while resistance training. If you are getting your vitamins, minerals and fiber from a balanced diet the remainder of your calorie goal can come from anything you like. No need to worry about low fat, low sugar at that point.
  • I tried some weight-gainers back when I started lifting. I quickly realized that they are way too expensive and weren't providing any better results than regular food.

Skip the weight-gainers, grab some whey protein if you want (its convenient and fairly cheap), and just focus on eating an extra 300-500 calories of real food. You're already on a good path since you have MFP to track your calories. Best of luck!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    The perfect food. Carbs, protein, vegetables, delicious! Great for gaining weight.

tumblr_molq0kP94H1r3e62yo1_250.gif
  • zipnguyen
    zipnguyen Posts: 990 Member

Just food. Adequate protein. Enough fats. fill in the rest with carbs to slowly gain weight.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Honestly I don't have any recommendations, but maybe others do.

My personal method is to start eating at maintenance, count calories/macros, and then slowly up calories over a period of time...using regular food.

^ This is what I'm doing.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Skip the weight gainer. Make your own calorie dense meals.

If you just want convenience then mix up a shake like this and save your money. (gainers are pricey)
    1 scoop of whey
    16 oz whole milk
    1 banana
    1-2 TBS natural peanut butter
    oats

That's going to pack better nutrition than a gainer and cost you less as well. milk and bananas are extremely cheap to consume while bulking.