Running books?

KNoceros
KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
Hi all.
I’ve been running for about three years now, having started as a C25k runner, I now run fairly regularly doing 2-3 runs of 5-6km a week before work and the occasional longer (8-10km) run.
I’ve got to the point where my current strategy of just putting on my shoes and heading out of the door with no real plan is getting a bit stale. Also, it would be nice to learn some of the theory / technique behind running, having come to this in my 40s and never really running at school.

I’ve looked at my local running clubs, but they both meet on days that are inconvenient (and one is SUPER competitive - I’m simply not fast enough to join!!).

Which brought to me looking at running books to see if I could find one that might shed some light / inspiration. Oh wow! There are ZILLIONS!
I’d be really interested to hear any recommendations to help me choose please.

PS Not really looking for a marathon plan.

Replies

• mlfen0778
    mlfen0778 Posts: 36 Member
    There's so many books buy if you want to be a better runner. You can add hill repeats, sprint, tempo runs. Those will help you improve. There's also runnersworld.com that would have tons of info
  • NationalCapital
    NationalCapital Posts: 108 Member
    I highly recommend John Stanton's book. He is the founder of the Running Room.

https://ca.shop.runningroom.com/en_ca/running-room-the-complete-guide-to-building-your-running-program.html
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 172 Member
    No Need for Speed: A beginner's Guide to the joy of running by John "the penguin" Bingham. The book is an easy read and focuses on health (physical and mental/emotional). He also goes over things such as technique, nutrition, some gear, and inspirational.

There is also a runner's forum here that has all levels of runners that chime in. I recently discovered trail running which I found helps make runs more interesting and fresh. You can also try different routes, if you're running outside. mapmyrun.com has routes and you can create your own.

Congratulations on the start of your running career.
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 172 Member
    No Need for Speed: A beginner's Guide to the joy of running by John "the penguin" Bingham. The book is an easy read and focuses on health (physical and mental/emotional). He also goes over things such as technique, nutrition, some gear, and inspirational.

There is also a runner's forum here that has all levels of runners that chime in. I recently discovered trail running which I found helps make runs more interesting and fresh. You can also try different routes, if you're running outside. mapmyrun.com has routes and you can create your own.

Congratulations on the start of your running career.
  • Frank19556
    Frank19556 Posts: 28 Member
    edited July 2021
    You can try "Jack Daniel's Running Formula". It is a classic, and has training programs for any race distance. I used it and it really helped me run well. Anther one I just got, but haven't read yet is "Easy Interval Method" by Klas Lok. From what I understand, this method uses very light and shorter speed work on most running days, along with a more standard speed day, and doesn't have you doing as many miles. The idea is that miles just for the sake of miles can tire one out more than help.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Thanks all. I’ll have a look at those
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    runnersconnect.net is a great runners resource. A lot of science-based articles that are free as well as paid content and plans.