Latinos, Help Me Out: Tres Leches Cake

Options
MaltedTea
MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
Mmmmmk, milk cake with a debatable amount of liquid gushing out at every forkful which is then topped with whipped cream, dulce de leche and/or fruit.

I'm attempting this supposed beast this weekend but since I cannot be trusted to ever follow a recipe word for word, can someone please explain why it's uncommon to find vanilla bean in ingredient lists? This seems like a natural addition (plus the little specks would make a nice presentation when slicing) 🤷🏾‍♀️

Also where's my wiggle room? Like how far is too far before someone's cute lil abuella will slap me in my face for disrespecting her culture? Is anyone really gonna be able to tell if I use gluten-free flour and three types of non-dairy milks lol

Sidenote: My ancestry hails from the Caribbean so I'm more used to Black Central American cooking methods but am open to others because, again, I don't actually follow recipes word for word.

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Mmmmmk, milk cake with a debatable amount of liquid gushing out at every forkful which is then topped with whipped cream, dulce de leche and/or fruit.

I'm attempting this supposed beast this weekend but since I cannot be trusted to ever follow a recipe word for word, can someone please explain why it's uncommon to find vanilla bean in ingredient lists? This seems like a natural addition (plus the little specks would make a nice presentation when slicing) 🤷🏾‍♀️

Also where's my wiggle room? Like how far is too far before someone's cute lil abuella will slap me in my face for disrespecting her culture? Is anyone really gonna be able to tell if I use gluten-free flour and three types of non-dairy milks lol

Sidenote: My ancestry hails from the Caribbean so I'm more used to Black Central American cooking methods but am open to others because, again, I don't actually follow recipes word for word.

I’ve personally never made this cake because it’s not really one of my faves but I don’t think it’s wrong to make any substitutes you like. I think gluten-free flour would be absolutely delish but I’m a little worried about the non-dairy milks because the ones I’ve tried are usually not as thick and creamy as dairy milk, they are usually more watery in consistency. Do they even make sweetened condensed non-dairy milks or evaporated non-dairy milk? I have no idea but if they aren’t thick enough they might not saturate the cake correctly. Do let us know how it turns out! :)
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Since the original recipe was developed to help sell Nestle condensed milk, it's no more culturally sacred than any recipe that uses Jello or Campbell's soup. Adapt away!

I literally just read this before logging into MFP for someone's coconut rum version of this cake. Now that you've mentioned too, I'll take this as fact...and adapt away 🙌🏿

Ok @RunsWithBees it's confession time: what is your fav dessert? 😍 Perhaps I'll try it after mastering très lèches. And all points taken on the non-dairy approach (I was half joking but may try it)
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Since the original recipe was developed to help sell Nestle condensed milk, it's no more culturally sacred than any recipe that uses Jello or Campbell's soup. Adapt away!

I literally just read this before logging into MFP for someone's coconut rum version of this cake. Now that you've mentioned too, I'll take this as fact...and adapt away 🙌🏿

Ok @RunsWithBees it's confession time: what is your fav dessert? 😍 Perhaps I'll try it after mastering très lèches. And all points taken on the non-dairy approach (I was half joking but may try it)

Right now it’s Mexican fried ice cream… yum! But a close second is mango pie <3 it’s been awhile since I’ve made a mango pie, maybe it’s time to get cookin’! :p
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

:o wha?! That is some damn good marketing huh?