Intermittent fasting?

Options
Wondering if anyone has any experience with intermittent fasting?

Replies

• fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is the lifestyle I use now since it keeps me from snacking throughout the day. I have lost 40 pounds (18kg) and plan on losing 20 (9kg) more.
    For the last 6months I have just been eating on a 16:8 or sometimes 18:6 schedule to get my body normalized to the 40pound (18kg) lost. I just started to actively pursue losing that last 20 pounds (9kg) yesterday. Prior to intermittent fasting I tried for ten year or so to lose weight to no avail. So it works for me.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    It also helps with a lot of painful digestive issues I have. And it helps my irritable bowel syndrome.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,282 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting works great for some people because it makes it easier for them to stay within their calorie goal (for those tracking their intake). If you're not tracking your intake, it can work too, but it's not guaranteed (it's still about your total calorie intake and intermittent fasting in itself does not guarantee you will be in a calorie deficit).
    For other people it doesn't work because they get so hungry during the fasting period that they binge afterwards or they get blood sugar crashes,...

You can try it yourself and see if you like it.

I skipped breakfast for 6 or 9 months at the start of my weight loss. I was very happy eating that way since it left me more calories in the evening (I prefer eating most of my calories later in the day). I've switched to eating breakfast now (to increase my protein intake) but I still skip breakfast on very high calorie days (family dinners,...).