Making it easy.

Options
2»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,992 Member
    Options
    I can abstain much more easily than I can moderate. So OP's advice is bang on for me. I've given up coffee and tea (other than herbal), sweets and treats (including the salty kind), and alcohol. Never smoked. It's now easy to maintain a very slow very steady weight loss. I'm incredibly happy with this approach.

Yesterday I started considering the idea of allowing occasional indulgences in starting in April 2022 (one year after the beginning of my abstinences), but to be honest, it seems like the risk isn't worth the reward.

I suspect that I'm not typical, and that the advice I read here and elsewhere fits most people (ie moderate rather than abstain), but I strongly believe it's not a fit for me.

There are definitely some people who need this approach, whether for a short time or forever. That's why programs like OA and Bright Line Eating exist.

I hope you find what works for you. I personally found that complete abstinence helped to re-focus myself on different foods but that in time I was able to add them back in. Keep playing with it and thinking. :)
  • HabitRabbit
    HabitRabbit Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I can abstain much more easily than I can moderate. So OP's advice is bang on for me. I've given up coffee and tea (other than herbal), sweets and treats (including the salty kind), and alcohol. Never smoked. It's now easy to maintain a very slow very steady weight loss. I'm incredibly happy with this approach.

Yesterday I started considering the idea of allowing occasional indulgences in starting in April 2022 (one year after the beginning of my abstinences), but to be honest, it seems like the risk isn't worth the reward.

I suspect that I'm not typical, and that the advice I read here and elsewhere fits most people (ie moderate rather than abstain), but I strongly believe it's not a fit for me.

There are definitely some people who need this approach, whether for a short time or forever. That's why programs like OA and Bright Line Eating exist.

I hope you find what works for you. I personally found that complete abstinence helped to re-focus myself on different foods but that in time I was able to add them back in. Keep playing with it and thinking. :)

Thank you. I'm aware that OA exists, but haven't really looked into them. Bright Line Eating is new to me. I'll look at both of them. I'm feeling quite in control right now, but more information could prevent future problems.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,992 Member
    Options

Thank you. I'm aware that OA exists, but haven't really looked into them. Bright Line Eating is new to me. I'll look at both of them. I'm feeling quite in control right now, but more information could prevent future problems.

Well, both those methodologies prescribe complete abstinence from your triggering foods, and Bright Line goes so far as to tell you what those foods are. :)

I mean, like I said it can be helpful to some people to abstain from some things. I know one lady who has a "sobriety date" for sugar and flour. (She believes in Overeaters Anonymous)

I know certain foods can trigger over-eating for me, but it's not nearly as bad for me as it was in the beginning of weight loss because I've changed how I look at all food.

Good luck.
  • mirianyusm
    mirianyusm Posts: 89 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I never smoked but I like coffee, an alcoholic drink here and there and definitely like sweets. I do aerobic activities and I need to replenish the salt I lose by sweating. I've been doing this for 7 months and it's working. I am not hungry and I enjoy the food I eat. Best of all I don't feel deprived so I don't need cheat days or meals that used to send me spiraling downwards until I hit bottom. I want to do be healthy but being healthy doesn't mean that you can't enjoy food and drinks. Everything in moderation is key for me. It might work for somebody else, but I've never met that successful person yet.