Former Professional Golfer regaining myself…

XK150s
XK150s Posts: 9 Member
I am a 35 year old former PGA Tour professional who is regaining my life following depression over the past 9 years. As a child I was always a bit heavier. Active and athletic but always one of the heavier kids in my class. Wasn’t until puberty that my body started to change as it does for us all. In my late teens and in college I turned professional in golf and was signed onto a pro staff contract with Titleist-Achushnet Golf. At the time that meant working with Titleist Performance Institute, creating a body that was designed for the golf swing. During those years from age 19-23 my body weight maintained 183-187lbs and body fat always stayed around 9%.

In the fall of 2009 I was involved in a motorcycle accident where a car hit me from the side. The collision sent me off the bike and lead to a dislocation of my left knee and ankle, compound fracture of the left tibia and fibula, ligament damage and a torn tibial artery. This left me being non weight bearing for 4 months. Fast forward slightly more than 10months of recovery and 8 surgeries completed, my short lived career was over. I would never be able to swing a golf club again as I once had.

This lead to major depression, spiraling out of control with my eating habits and not doing any form of fitness for nearly 9 years. Gaining roughly 1-3lbs per month the body weight started to rise. Obviously knowing in my mind what was happening to my body and health but also knowing in my mind that I did not care. Being the once young aspiring professional athlete with trainers and coaches on hand to a depressed overweight slob was the new life I must feel comfortable within.

Over those 9 years I would have nightly conversations with myself. Asking myself why I let this happen and didn’t take control. It wasn’t until recently it hit home when I lost my mother to cancer and my father to covid within 3 months of each other. Sitting down with a therapist and figuring out my own issues is what got me started.

Met with a dietitian and nutritionist to develop an attack plan, attacking the sickness that I had allowed to control and change my life. Setting up a DEXA scan and seeing my body composition, tipping the scales at 351lbs, having a muscle mass of 193.8lbs, bone mass of 9.8lbs, body fat of 40.1% and a BMI at 47.2.

I’ve been able to attack these past few days with my new lifestyle change. Understanding this is a change for my life, not a diet.

Losing 4lbs over these first three days and feeling energetic not tired. Not having any doubt that I will succumb to pressure and fall back into old habits. I have gotten to this weight over an extended period of time. And I understand now that it’ll take this lifestyle change to get my body back and it won’t be easy or quick. Each decision made, small or large, will affect my life and those around me.

I look forward to tracking my progress and reading the inspirational stories so many have posted in this forum.

Let’s all keep up the good work, stay focused and help one another achieve our goals.

Replies

• boilerdawg2009
    boilerdawg2009 Posts: 979 Member
    Good luck to you! Hopefully you can tap into that pro athlete mentality again and use it to help you get back in shape. I have somewhat of an athletic background from my teens and early twenties that is helping me now.
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,399 Member
    Hey you were a professional athlete...once and athlete always an athlete...you know what it takes to work hard for something physical so you've got this for sure!!
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    Welcome! Glad you've started and glad you found us here at MFP.
    So sorry to hear about you losing both parents - that would set anyone back on their heels.

It's going to be up and down, literally and figuratively, but your past discipline should help lots. Don't hesitate to reach out when you need (and ignore the occasional heckler ;) ).

I'd recommend to stop and commit to memory how good it feels when things are going in the right direction with your weight loss, so you can call on that when needed.

Best of luck to you - you can do this!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,950 Member
    You’ve definitely been through some tough waters.

I used to run and ride unicycle. Not competitively. But my disability now prevents it. And I just wanted to say you’re not alone. And there are good days ahead.