Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Cryolipolysis

Options
PaymanLux
PaymanLux Posts: 23 Member
What are your opinions and thoughts on this method to kill fat cells? Here is an article on cryolipolysis

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-skinny-on-freezing-fat-2020031218990

Maybe you can go out in the snow for 30 minutes a day and get the same effect?

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    PaymanLux wrote: »
    What are your opinions and thoughts on this method to kill fat cells? Here is an article on cryolipolysis

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-skinny-on-freezing-fat-2020031218990

Maybe you can go out in the snow for 30 minutes a day and get the same effect?

Interesting.

There are no shortcuts.. but this has me imagining doing some stuff that’s probably vet dangerous. So I won’t say more than that.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    There's at least one medical esthetics place here that offers CoolSculpting. It's not cheap, and I'm not sure it's worth the hefty price tag for a 10% to 25% reduction in fat, in a single area. Would you even notice 10% less fat?
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    There's at least one medical esthetics place here that offers CoolSculpting. It's not cheap, and I'm not sure it's worth the hefty price tag for a 10% to 25% reduction in fat, in a single area. Would you even notice 10% less fat?

I suppose it depends on the area. We all know there are areas of the body that are stubborn. When you think in terms of how much overall fat loss you need before losing 1 lb of it in a specific area?
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »

I suppose it depends on the area. We all know there are areas of the body that are stubborn. When you think in terms of how much overall fat loss you need before losing 1 lb of it in a specific area?

I think it might be an appealing option for something like under-chin fat, which would probably be difficult to lose just by dropping weight alone. Supposedly there is a degree of skin tightening as well so could improve the appearance of areas of combined loose skin and fat pockets?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in gaming my body, especially in ways that don't have a track record of success without long-term bad consequences. Sensible eating and exercise accomplish a great deal. Shortcuts are perhaps tempting, but IMO not worth the risk. Over my lifespan, I've seen too many of these medical-ish shortcuts turn out to have long-term negative health or appearance consequences.

. . . but I don't really care anymore whether I'm cute or not, so I'm not willing to take risks to get there. 🤷‍♀️ YMMV.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    I'll wait for the random controlled trials but considering Harvard bases most of their recommendations for health on epidemiology I could be waiting a long time. :D