Diet Soda

Options

Replies

• BrightEyedAgain
    BrightEyedAgain Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda every day and don't worry about it. I also drink water, coffee, and unsweetened tea. As long as I'm not drinking lots of calories, I'm fine with drinking whatever appeals to me in the moment.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »

I'm not familiar with root beer,

I just want to interject how sad I am for you. A good, foamy, creamy root beer is one of the great small pleasures of life.

Root beer floats.

Cream soda floats (made with those expensive 8 oz. bottles that contain real cane sugar). I only have that once or twice a year. Please don't judge :D

LOL it's been forever since I've had any kind of float but that sounds really good!
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I’m not a pop drinker but on the occasion that I’ll drink one, I prefer the full on sugar versions.

Also, Canada Dry used to have ginger in it. But I don’t believe it does anymore. We recently bought some FeverTree soda at Costco. Slightly smaller bottles (not a bad thing) and real ingredients. Really gingery ginger ale.

Re your question: personally, I do not believe anything in moderation is fine. You have to live!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,359 Member
    Options
    At our house the problem with diet sodas is the sodium some have.
    Occasionally, figured into the daily sodium count, my husband enjoys a Diet Coke or a root beer.
    This would not be a concern for people who don’t have a need to limit their sodium intake.

Typically we go through 12 to 18 cans of fizzy water daily, though. That’s between three to five people, depending on who’s home, plus any company.

Which ones have high sodium content??

This issue has been brought up before and nutrition labels of popular sodas have not been any higher in sodium than most other beverages, including tap water.

Off the top of my head it’s Diet Coke (40 mg) and a diet root beer (115 mg) my husband likes. And, to be fair, we have to be very careful with my husband’s sodium levels, so there isn’t much wiggle room. And he has dementia, so telling him he can only have one a day isn’t effective.

I'm not familiar with root beer, seems it might have higher sodium content.

Diet coke does not.

40mg per can is about 13mg per 100ml - same as pepsi max and I would guess, most other soft drinks

Really not a high sodium item - well less than a slice of bread, for example.

I mentioned sodium because of the fact that some people on low sodium diets do need to be extremely careful. If you’re not on a low sodium diet due to something serious like heart failure, then that 40 mg is not likely to be a big deal.
    But for someone like my husband? It needs to be taken into consideration on a daily basis.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    So like creamsicles....but not!

I just reinvented the creamsicle: vanilla protein shake with Mio-type flavor drops in orange-tangerine. Get it extra cold in the freezer for a few minutes and enjoy. I'm thinking it'll be even better when my ice-crushing blender arrives, so I can make it slushy.

Similarly, I make a faux egg cream by mixing a Glucerna shake with a can of flavored seltzer water.

Delicious. And within my calorie budget.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Occasionally, figured into the daily sodium count, my husband enjoys a Diet Coke or a root beer.
    This would not be a concern for people who don’t have a need to limit their sodium intake.

Typically we go through 12 to 18 cans of fizzy water daily, though. That’s between three to five people, depending on who’s home, plus any company.

This issue has been brought up before and nutrition labels of popular sodas have not been any higher in sodium than most other beverages, including tap water.

Off the top of my head it’s Diet Coke (40 mg) and a diet root beer (115 mg) my husband likes. And, to be fair, we have to be very careful with my husband’s sodium levels, so there isn’t much wiggle room. And he has dementia, so telling him he can only have one a day isn’t effective.

Diet coke does not.

40mg per can is about 13mg per 100ml - same as pepsi max and I would guess, most other soft drinks

I mentioned sodium because of the fact that some people on low sodium diets do need to be extremely careful. If you’re not on a low sodium diet due to something serious like heart failure, then that 40 mg is not likely to be a big deal.
    But for someone like my husband? It needs to be taken into consideration on a daily basis.

am not disputing that there are people who need to take sodium into account.

Soda's are a high sodium item though. Barely more than tap water.

• MargaretYakoda
    Options

Diet coke does not.

No.
    Tap water has zero sodium.
    Some diet sodas have as much as 100 mg of sodium. And must be taken into account when on a low sodium diet
    Saying diet soda has the sodium content of tap water is inaccurate and potentially dangerous for people who have heart conditions.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    https://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/chemicals/sodium.pdf

No, no, there is sodium of in drinking water. Not a lot, but it is not 0.

"The sodium ion is ubiquitous in water. Most water supplies contain less than 20 mg of sodium
    per litre, but in some countries levels can exceed 250 mg/litre. Saline intrusion, mineral
    deposits, seawater spray, sewage effluents, and salt used in road de-icing can all contribute
    significant quantities of sodium to water. In addition, water-treatment chemicals, such as
    sodium fluoride, sodium bicarbonate, and sodium hypochlorite, can together result in sodium
    levels as high as 30 mg/litre. Domestic water softeners can give levels of over 300 mg/litre,
    but much lower ones are usually found "
  • paperpudding
    Options

Diet coke does not.

No.
    Tap water has zero sodium.
    Some diet sodas have as much as 100 mg of sodium. And must be taken into account when on a low sodium diet
    Saying diet soda has the sodium content of tap water is inaccurate and potentially dangerous for people who have heart conditions.

100mg of sodium per 100ml??
    Which ones??

All the popular ones, Pepsi Max, diet Coke etc have nowhere near that.
    They have barely more than tap water ( tap water does not have zero)

Not inaccurate or dangerous thing to say at all - just correct information.
  • MargaretYakoda
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Diet Coke has 40 mg.
    Diet Dr Pepper has 100 mg.
    Per can.

Accurate.
    And not tap water.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Yes diet Coke has 40mg. Not a lot more than tap water. Which does not have zero.

Dr pepper isn't one of the usual ones.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    Yes diet Coke has 40mg. Not a lot more than tap water. Which does not have zero.

Dr pepper isn't one of the usual ones.

And I said people who are on low sodium diets need to be careful with diet sodas.

When you get 1200 mg of sodium a day, even 40 mg is something you need to keep in the equation.

Also? I have no idea what you mean by “Diet Dr Pepper isn’t one of the usual ones”
    It’s common enough.

• MargaretYakoda
    Options
    There are 30 mg of sodium in a cup of fresh -ie not processed- in unseasoned raw broccoli. There is sodium in air. Its easy to do and people need to be aware, but should also be aware it is not just an additive. It is a naturally occurring mineral. Diet coke has less sodium by volume than broccoli. It is literally in EVERYTHING.

Not any of disputing this.

But when you’re on a low sodium diet it is a factor. That’s all I am saying.

The sparkling water we drink at home has zero sodium. My husband has six or more a day. No worries.
    If he had six of his favorite diet sodas that would be anywhere from almost a quarter to fully half his sodium load for the day.
    It’s a factor for some people to keep in mind. That’s all I am saying.

If you’re not on a low sodium diet then 30 or 40 mg is no big deal. I think we all are in agreement on that point.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/15426-sodium-controlled-diet

Seems reputable source

No mention of avoiding soda.

Happy to see other sources saying that if you want to post them.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options

Seems reputable source

Are you saying that if there’s 100 mg of sodium in a can of Diet Dr Pepper it disappears because the Cleveland Clinic didn’t mention it?

Or that my husband’s cardiologist is wrong to have said to be careful of diet sodas?

• MargaretYakoda
    Options

Seems reputable source

It appears that since the last time I paid attention to the nutritional label the sodium content of Diet Dr Pepper has dropped considerably.
    Nevertheless, it’s still high enough to need to be factored into a low sodium diet.

Also? The Cleveland Clinic did say something that includes diet sodas. … that article says to read nutritional labels.
    Which is what I do for everything I serve my husband. Been doing it over a decade and it is a factor in why he is still alive now.

emp6koitxlpa.jpeg

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    So like creamsicles....but not!

I just reinvented the creamsicle: vanilla protein shake with Mio-type flavor drops in orange-tangerine. Get it extra cold in the freezer for a few minutes and enjoy. I'm thinking it'll be even better when my ice-crushing blender arrives, so I can make it slushy.

I am buying those drops and doing this! Thanks for the tip!

I had braces put on in my mid-20s and my orthodontist told me to switch to diet pop to avoid having sugar sitting on my teeth. Regular pop already tasted too sickly syrupy to me and I would drink it cut with soda water so I happily switched completely to diet.

Good thing, since I had to give up caffeine around 10 years ago and the only caffeine-free Coke product we can get here is the diet version, so it's a daily beverage for me.

I still have all my teeth 30+ years later.
  • paperpudding
    edited August 2021
    Options

Seems reputable source

Are you saying that if there’s 100 mg of sodium in a can of Diet Dr Pepper it disappears because the Cleveland Clinic didn’t mention it?

Or that my husband’s cardiologist is wrong to have said to be careful of diet sodas?

Dr Pepper may be an outlier, I dont know.

But popular sodas like pepsi max etc dont have high sodium intake - their own labels verify this.

And, yes, I am saying if official sources don't mention diet sodas as something to avoid in low sodium diets then sodas are not something that needs avoiding on low sodium diets.

It wasnt just Cleveland Clinic - there was no mention in any of the sources I found.

Happy for you to post any reputable sources saying otherwise.

'Learn to read food labels' is general advice - that isn't naming anything specific to avoid.

Quite a long list of specific things were mentioned in every source I looked at - you would expect diet soda to be on there if it was a risk food

Anecdotal 'My doctor said' - isnt a verifiable source - as we have seen on this forum many times, doctors say incorrect things, people misunderstand etc

• MargaretYakoda
    Options

Seems reputable source

Dr Pepper may be an outlier, I dont know.

But popular sodas like pepsi max etc dont have high sodium intake - their own labels verify this.

And, yes, I am saying if official sources don't mention diet sodas as something to avoid in low sodium diets then sodas are not something that needs avoiding on low sodium diets.

It wasnt just Cleveland Clinic - there was no mention in any of the sources I found.

Happy for you to post any reputable sources saying otherwise.

'Learn to read food labels' is general advice - that isn't naming anything specific to avoid.

Quite a long list of specific things were mentioned in every source I looked at - you would expect diet soda to be on there if it was a risk food

Anecdotal 'My doctor said' - isnt a verifiable source - as we have seen on this forum many times, doctors say incorrect things, people misunderstand etc

I literally am reading the labels. Exactly like what the article you shared said to do.
    And at no point have I said “avoid diet sodas”
    The topic is diet sodas.
    I merely said to be sure to take the sodium level into consideration if you’re on a low sodium diet. Drink them if they’re in your sodium budget. Absolutely. Nothing wrong with that. Never said there was.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with what I have said. It’s bizarre that you keep misinterpreting me.