How many calories am I burning?

Options
I've been trying different workouts that I am finding on youtube or websites. How do I know, or estimate,how many calories I'm burning during these workouts?

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    It depends on the kind of workout. If it is a cardio workout, then low impact or high impact aerobics are listed in the database. There is also a general cardio option. I don't do other workouts, but you might scan the options and see what seems to be close to the kind of workout you are doing. I know yoga and pilates are there. If you have a fitness watch, it should tell you how many 'active' calories you burned after a workout. Not necessarily accurate, but it will give you an estimate.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Well...you could search in the cardio database and see if the particular exercise you're doing is there and use that as an estimate. Unfortunately -- the calorie burn for cardio in the database here on MFP can be accurate, over estimated or underestimated....

You could get a heart rate monitor with a chest strap (or use one you may already have if it's at least somewhat accurate -- like an Apple watch, Garmin, or FitBit...). I use a Polar HRM with a chest strap and it will give me an 'average heart rate' for my workout duration. It also gives an estimated calorie burn but I have found that to be a bit high sometimes when comparing to other sources so you kind of have to guesstimate. I will just find an online calculator to put in my average heart rate, length of activity and get an estimate of calorie burn and use that.

I did that while I was actively trying to lose weight and it worked...so it was at least close enough to be useful. The HRM I bought was ~$60 though, but you may be able to find ones a bit cheaper. I asked for it as an Xmas gift.
  • Kattikabi
    Kattikabi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I workout with iwatch. I was very disappointed finding out that I burn only half calories that are typically burned during such a workout. Sad but true 😢
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    You can use one of the "calisthenics" entries in cardio. They give you something for your effort based on time. (Not much!) You could also get a Fitbit, Garmin, or Apple watch and let it do a calculation for you.

However you estimate it, use a little common sense with the numbers. Eat back those calories a little conservatively.