Tips for when partner works varying shifts

Options
DD265
DD265 Posts: 651 Member
OH changes job later this year and will be working a 6 on, 4 off shift pattern, with 2 nights, 2 earlies and 2 lates. I don't know the exact hours at this point but it's going to be a big change from now when we both work 8.30-5 (from home, as well). I'm hoping we'll manage at least one meal a day together. OH is lean anyway but I need to keep my focus on my calorie goal, and if there are ways to make life easier then I'm all for that.

We've already said we'll probably get more into batch cooking; we do a bit but usually just over winter with stews and soups, so need to expand our recipes to suit all year round. We're planning to get a second freezer so we can store more pre-prepared food. I already meal plan, and I don't know how the shift pattern will affect that.

Any tips/ideas people can share?

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    If meal planning is down pat, then perhaps focus on other areas that may affect both of your health. For example, sleep hygiene and patterns.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    On the food side, I think I would focus on meals that either can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator for quick reheating (e.g., stews, soups, curries, casseroles) or that can be pulled together with minimal effort at the last minute from pre-made or ready-made components (sandwiches, tacos, omelets, salads, pastas). That way, whenever you find yourselves both at home and awake at a meal time, you won't have to fuss on prep. And at time you have to eat separately, you won't be facing the mental hurdle of "it's too much work to fix a meal just for me. I'll just have [insert food that doesn't fit well into your nutritional and calorie needs]".