Softer or harder?

nossmf
nossmf Posts: 8,956 Member
edited July 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
I have an adjustable air-filled mattress, which has been an absolute blessing for my wife and I who share different preferences in mattress stiffness levels, especially when she was pregnant and could adjust her side of the bed to something different every single night. Currently, she prefers 100, I keep my side around 70.

However, recently I tweaked a back muscle in the gym, and this morning I woke up with my back screaming at me. Considering last night I went to bed almost completely pain free, and after a hot shower I'm at work again almost pain free, I suspect my mattress and my back are not getting along, at least while my back muscle heals.

So now my question is whether it would be better for my back to go softer for a short term, or harder. I'm leaning towards harder, but wonder if anybody else has had similar experience in the past to which they can testify.

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    My non-expert opinion is to agree with leaning to harder. To me harder = better support = no pain.

Any time I have sleep-related issues it's due to some lack of support. We don't have an adjustable mattress but a Tempur-pedic which is quite firm compared to other mattresses I've slept on. The lone issue I've discovered with foam is that it's temperature-sensitive. I have to use a different pillow arrangement in the summer vs. winter as the pillows get squishier when they're warm and provide insufficient support. Similarly, I have had issues with neck pain when pillows get to end-of-life and similarly lose support. I absolutely loathe sleeping when travelling as a result, I've yet to come across a hotel pillow that's remotely sufficient to sleep/wake up comfortably.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    I would go harder, but it could just be an injury that hurts more when you don't move or have minimal movement for a long period, and you're just going to have to face morning pain until you get moving or use the shower to loosen it up.
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 179 Member
    First. sudden gym injury sets off an alarm regarding disc or other skeletal rather than muscle damage, especially if (unlike me) you are normally not prone to purely muscular strain. A medical check could be in order. Exercise helps a "strcturally" vulnerable back, and it's a rare problem these days as compared with years of office work.

Personally I like a hard mattress but got a thin memory foam pad a couple of years ago. But when the back is seriously "out" it's (trying to) sleep flat on the back, knees elevated, with a heating pad. Daytime tolerable activity is better than immobility, and avoid long sits at a desk or in meetings - standing desk worked for me.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,156 Member
    I like to put them in cold water, put the pan on high heat, bring to a boil, take the pan off the heat, cover it, and set it aside for nine minutes, then flash-cool with cold water.

Oh. You weren't asking about softer or harder eggs. Never mind.

They (whoever "they" are) used to say firm mattresses were better for back pain. I've gravitated towards firm mattresses for that reason. One of the best things I did for my back was replace an old worn-out mattress. It made huge changes, and I might need to do that again in the next few years. I've read recently that "they" think they were wrong, and you should just get what's comfortable.

I bet the foam mattresses would be comfy, but I would be way too hot, especially in summer. I actually was concerned about getting one last time because, what if it was summer, I was smooshed into the thing, and my back went out. I'd be STUCK.

I've never considered the inflation mattresses. Fortunately, over the course of five or so days, you can play with different settings to see what works for you. Maybe even make a big change either firmer or softer if you wake up middle of the night. You'll get it dialed in.

Or get an inversion bar and sleep like a bat.....

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,018 Member
    This is a tangent to your question, but there's something that's helped me - as a fairly still sleeper - when I've somehow gronked my back. Since I don't move around much in sleep, sometimes, before going to sleep, I can use muscular effort to move around, find a posture that reduces the pain, then use a folded/rolled towel, bolster, or something else to support that position while I sleep (relaxed, without the muscular effort). For the longest time, while still obese, I had a regular thing with towels and a small memory-foam bolster (the latter under my waist for side-sleeping) to help my low back.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    Harder. Support the back and don't let it "flex" downward to the floor as much. But too hard isn't good either.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited July 2021
    When I hurt my back several years ago, it didn’t matter to me. Slept on the carpeted concrete floors a few nights. Slept on a soft bed a few nights. Slept on the divan a few nights. Back stiffened up and became very painful from non-movement no matter where I slept.

Hope it gets better soon!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I like to put them in cold water, put the pan on high heat, bring to a boil, take the pan off the heat, cover it, and set it aside for nine minutes, then flash-cool with cold water.

They (whoever "they" are) used to say firm mattresses were better for back pain. I've gravitated towards firm mattresses for that reason. One of the best things I did for my back was replace an old worn-out mattress. It made huge changes, and I might need to do that again in the next few years. I've read recently that "they" think they were wrong, and you should just get what's comfortable.

I bet the foam mattresses would be comfy, but I would be way too hot, especially in summer. I actually was concerned about getting one last time because, what if it was summer, I was smooshed into the thing, and my back went out. I'd be STUCK.

I've never considered the inflation mattresses. Fortunately, over the course of five or so days, you can play with different settings to see what works for you. Maybe even make a big change either firmer or softer if you wake up middle of the night. You'll get it dialed in.

The best thing I did for my back was to switch to a very good office chair, and make a point of getting up and moving around on a regular basis.

That said, my new mattress for when we are moving in with my mother and brother has been delivered there and I can't wait to try it out! I do love my latex foam mattress, which I've had for over 20 years now, but it does run hot. My new one is a latex/spring hybrid. I plan to have a quilt under the mattress protector to insulate me against the heat, which is what I started doing this summer after thinking about mattress types and being hot.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,156 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    mtaratoot wrote: »

The best thing I did for my back was to switch to a very good office chair, and make a point of getting up and moving around on a regular basis.

That said, my new mattress for when we are moving in with my mother and brother has been delivered there and I can't wait to try it out! I do love my latex foam mattress, which I've had for over 20 years now, but it does run hot. My new one is a latex/spring hybrid. I plan to have a quilt under the mattress protector to insulate me against the heat, which is what I started doing this summer after thinking about mattress types and being hot.

Many years ago, I picked up a "well loved" Balans chair. I thought it might help. It was very awkward in the desk set-up I had, but it helped. I ended up buying a more modern kneeling chair on casters, and it's great. I had to buy it myself because the leadership in my shop at that time for some reason didn't realize that desk chairs had a lifespan, and was cheaper than.... Whatever. It's been great. I will bring it home when I separate. During WFH, I did bring it home, but was worried about running my cat over. That's no longer an issue. Anyway, I just started using an old solid oak chair, and all those hours of sitting hurt bad. It didn't help that my dear kitty would just sit in my lap (another reason I couldn't use the kneel chair), and I didn't have the heart to get her up just so I could get up and move... or get a refill of coffee because my cup was now cold.

Moving helps. Not moving house, just physical movement. I can't wait until I no longer have to drive a desk ten hours a day.
  • jtechmart
    jtechmart Posts: 67 Member
    Another thing to consider is whether you tweaked your back, or just have back tightness. Most of my low back issues are due to tightness. And if I do stretches regularly, there is no problem. I can also fix the low back pain on the spot by doing stretches most of the time.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,956 Member
    Update time: I ultimately chose a stiffer setting on my air mattress, and it helped some, but ultimately I think it was just time heals all wounds which helped me out. Either way, I'm back in the gym and sleeping comfortably at night again.