100-Calorie Frozen Desserts

smuehlbauer
smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
article from Yahoo: http://health.yahoo.net/experts/healthieryou/100-calorie-desserts

Admission: I’m an ice-cream fiend. I love it all year round, but when the weather heats up, those cartons in my freezer really call my name. Mint chocolate chip, mmm. But while it’s delicious, this quintessential summer treat can also be full of fat and calories, especially if, like me, you have trouble stopping at one scoop. Which is why I like to enjoy ice cream as an occasional treat and relish its lower-calorie cousin, popsicles, more frequently. Pops are just as refreshing, yet they’re often significantly lower in fat and calories, especially if you make them yourself, which is easy to do. Plus, a lick on a stick offers built-in portion control—no spooning extra helpings out of the carton!

Bonus: Ice cream lovers, treat yourself to SELF's Healthy Food Award winners.

To make the icies below, divide each mix into 8 Dixie cups (the 3-ounce size), cover with plastic wrap and insert a craft stick. You’ll save not only calories, but cash, too. Cool!

Watermelon-Lime-Cilantro Popsicles (62 calories per serving)
In a blender, combine 3 cups cubed, seeded watermelon, 6 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp honey and 3 tbsp fresh lime juice. Stir in 2 tsp chopped fresh cilantro.

Chunky Pineapple-Chili Popsicles (61 calories per serving)
In a blender, combine 2 cups cubed fresh pineapple, 3/4 cup pineapple juice, 3 tbsp sugar, 2 tbsp fresh lime juice and 1 teaspoon ground ancho chile. Stir in 1 cup coarsely chopped pineapple.

Crunchy Peanut Butter-Banana Popsicles (165 calories per serving)
In a blender, combine 3 medium bananas, 1 cup 1 percent milk, 3 tbsp honey and 5 tbsp natural peanut butter. Stir in 1/4 cup lightly salted dry roasted peanuts, chopped.

Avocado Mango Popsicles (93 calories per serving)
In a blender, combine 3 cups cubed mango, 3/4 ripe avocado, 5 tbsp sugar and 3 tbsp fresh lime juice. Stir in 1 tbsp grated orange zest.

Replies

• renae5
    renae5 Posts: 393 Member
    sounds great!! I cheat and freeze the Fiber One Guilt-Free Vanilla yogurt cups. 60 cals and you have to dig a little with the spoon to get them back out, but hey... I figure it makes me take my time to eat it, instead of scarfing them down and probably even burns off a few more calories!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    sounds great!! I cheat and freeze the Fiber One Guilt-Free Vanilla yogurt cups. 60 cals and you have to dig a little with the spoon to get them back out, but hey... I figure it makes me take my time to eat it, instead of scarfing them down and probably even burns off a few more calories!

I do this with the little Hunt's sugar free pudding cups.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    OMGOD!!!! I need little dixie cups and popsicle sticks. I can make the PB banana one! YUM!
  • S_H84
    S_H84 Posts: 75
    I am not a huge ice cream fan but the other day I had Natural (!) vanilla bean ice cream from Breyers. It is delicious and much better in calories than other ice creams.
    When I was little, my mother would freeze Dan-o-nino (those little yogurts for kids) and would give it to us as ice cream. very yummy, too and just a small portion
    for you ice cream lovers ;)
  • ldybugg
    ldybugg Posts: 134
    bump
This discussion has been closed.