Sad- the community here is not like Sparkpeople

2»

Replies

• autobahn66
    autobahn66 Posts: 59 Member
    I did own my own studio for years, before moving across the country.
    I'm a tattoo artist, but I do a lot of things, painting, drawing, photography, sculpting, airbrushing, mixed media, etc. Anything to keep me creative!
    It is my profession, so yes, I still do all those things.
    Although I've been more focused on my health and weight loss journey as of late, so less time on my artwork, outside of tattooing.

That's fantastic!

I've found that too: that there is much less time for creative endeavours now I'm focusing on health and weight loss. With a busy job and 2 kids, time was so short anyway! I do wonder about the effects of this as I get a lot of benefit from drawing and painting. I find that while I'm painting I feel so in the moment that I don't worry about anything other than that.

But now there's a half finished oil painting in my shed-studio untouched for a week, as I've been exercising in the time I would be painting. I guess like anything else, I'll just have to prioritise and commit to slower, but steady, progress.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    1poundatax wrote: »
    Hi and welcome. You are right, SparkPeople was very different than MFP. I joined SparkPeople years ago but didn't find it worked as well for me. I loved the recipes on SparkPeople, but I find lots of recipes on sites like Skinnytaste and Slender Kitchen. I enjoy the boards here though I don't participate a lot. I hope that you are able to find a way to make MFP work for you- it just goes to show we all need different things. Good luck!

It definitely is different. I found it much more motivating and inspiring, to be honest.
    MFP lacks a lot in that area.
    I was on it for 13+ years. I loved it. It helped me lose the weight after I had my son, and Ii kept it off, until a series of severe health issues that required many surgeries happened, and the weight was put back on.
    I lost 40lbs again, and then a nasty divorce hit. I gained some of it back, but am losing it, and almost back to the weight I was before the divorce- only a couple lbs away.
    Still 45 to go.

I'm making it work for me, as best I can. I'm just saddened with the loss of what kept me motivated.
    And I wish the community side of things was easier to use- no notifications for replies, and no way for me to search on the topics/forums that I've posted in, to see any responses.
    I can find my own created topics, but I can't seem to find the ones I've tried to participate in.

It lacks a lot and I wish it didn't.
    I want to like MFP. I really do.
    Click the "bell" near the upper right and you can personalize your notifications.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    Also, if former Spark people want a community they were used to, then START IT UP yourself. Create the ambience instead of looking for it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Also, if former Spark people want a community they were used to, then START IT UP yourself. Create the ambience instead of looking for it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

🤔

But I like going to burger king and order big Mac!
  • slstrake1975
    slstrake1975 Posts: 2,166 Member
    I find Spark People Friends to be a great and active group. It is so active I can't keep up with it. I have other groups transferred from Spark People that I have to track. I like MFP's tracker and have told it I want to lose a pound a week and for the most part I have done that since joining MFP. I will greatly miss Spark but most of my active teams are or have found new places.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited July 2021
    I keep trying to like this site. I really do.
    I use it, because I need to track everything, but it certainly lacks so much support, unlike spark.
    The challenges are very lacking, I can't seem to meet people who have like-minded ideas or goals, and it is very plain.

I miss the abundance of information that SparkPeople offered, and there was always something to keep you motivated, like sparkpoints and fun and games. I also miss the recipes.

Can anyone offer me any different info? Am I missing something about this site?
    Help me to love this place. I'm here because I need to be, since I've lost what I had for the past 13 years. 😔

It's kind of funny. I tried Sparkpeople many years ago and it just didn't stick with me. It also took me awhile to find my rhythm and place here. But I stuck it out long enough to come to enjoy it. So maybe if you just join in more and look around you'll find the parts of it that you like as well? I know there are recipe sections and different groups you might check out. If you still can't find what you're looking for, please don't be afraid to start your own groups, etc. Good luck and hope you feel better about it soon. :)

Ok, I just read where you've been trying to like it for 2 months now. :( Hmmm, have you tried chit chat or games? They're both a lot of fun and might gain you more friends? They don't dwell on the fitness part much so if that's all that you're looking for, that will probably disappoint you. MFP has tons of experienced smart people who you can ask most anything; I've learned a lot here.

Good luck! (again :))
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,141 Member
    @SoulOfFire15 Some MFP challenge groups exist that have activities to keep you focused on your goals. I have really been helped by the Hogwarts Challenge. It contains a game sort of atmosphere, and you have challenges for food, exercise, and some quiz type things over Harry Potter trivia. These change weekly. You get sorted into a house, and the people in your house become a closer support network. We are finishing the summer term this week, and then we have a 3 week break, before the 9-week term starts.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,281 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Ummm…. We have. And posted links in this conversation.
    Thanks though.
  • shutrbug48
    shutrbug48 Posts: 2 Member
    I feel your pain. I was a member of Sparkpeople for 12 years. I had periods where I was very active, and other times it was months between tracking and checking in for me. I was very sad to see that they are closing the site. My very favorite part was using Sparkrecipes to create my own recipes, using the nutrition calculator to tweak the recipe, and then being able to add that recipe to my tracker so easily. I had dozens of custom recipes there. Anyway, now I think I will make my recipes on ALLrecipes.com and then see if I can import it to my tracker and save it as a favorite maybe?
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    To each their own, I love this site. I tried sparkpeople years ago and the site was to busy for me although good for a lot of people. Hope you find what you're looking for.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,281 Member
    shutrbug48 wrote: »
    I feel your pain. I was a member of Sparkpeople for 12 years. I had periods where I was very active, and other times it was months between tracking and checking in for me. I was very sad to see that they are closing the site. My very favorite part was using Sparkrecipes to create my own recipes, using the nutrition calculator to tweak the recipe, and then being able to add that recipe to my tracker so easily. I had dozens of custom recipes there. Anyway, now I think I will make my recipes on ALLrecipes.com and then see if I can import it to my tracker and save it as a favorite maybe?

I’m not much of a recipe person, but you can build custom meals and recipes here.
    The only one I put in so far is my meatloaf.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,255 Member
    I added friends and it got better also I joined a middle ages group and a lose 1lb a week and keep it off you have charts to complete that keeps me focused. There is a recipe blog on here too. Good luck
  • healhierhappiness
    healhierhappiness Posts: 102 Member
    edited July 2021
    For the unhappy former spark member(s)take the bull by the horns!!! If you were on spark and are unhappy and youre here now then add your ""spark"" here
    Start recipes or start challenges or start making friends to support you and you them. It can be done. I am a former spark team leader and with some ceativity you can make this site exciting in your own way !! I am new here and I am learning the site yet, the more I do the clearer it becomes