post workout...

Options
2»

Replies

• kaymon25
    kaymon25 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    usually a 2-scoop protein shake and a bunch of chicken, or pasta and meatballs, or chicken and pasta and meatballs, or a double patty burger with bacon.

edited to ask: why do you wanna lay off the bananas?

i started a thread earlier about bananas and im not hearing great things about them lol
  • kaymon25
    kaymon25 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What do you guys eat post workout? I just ran for 60 minutes on an elliptical machine and im not so much hungry but shaky and i feel like i need to eat as i once read that you should eat after a work out. I had 6 raspberries as i want to lay off the bananas lol:)

I think you and bananas need to work out your issues... this is the second banana bashing thread you have started today. It's becoming disturbing :indifferent:

haha this wasn't intended to be a banana bashing thread i swear! It just turned out that way :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    According to my trainer, you should have protein within the first 30 min post-workout (to get optimum use of that good stuff). I usually have a MaxPro chocolate shake immediately after, then grab some dinner (like chicken & veggies, or elk steak on spinach...)

OH, and I love bananas. You can't make me give them up. ;-)

Your trainer ever back any of that up with actual research? I've never seen anything legitimate supporting that claim.

My dietitian says it's a load of bunk. The 30 minute part... It's still a good idea to eat protein if your kidney's can take it.,

Which is why I asked. ;)
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk. My workouts are primarily bike rides. I usually drink 2 cartons (8 oz. each). It's a good pick-me-up, plus plenty of protein.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    usually a 2-scoop protein shake and a bunch of chicken, or pasta and meatballs, or chicken and pasta and meatballs, or a double patty burger with bacon.

edited to ask: why do you wanna lay off the bananas?

i started a thread earlier about bananas and im not hearing great things about them lol

On the contrary .... we told you lots of good things about bananas

You just chose to ignore them

Because you have a beef with bananas

:indifferent:
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    According to my trainer, you should have protein within the first 30 min post-workout (to get optimum use of that good stuff). I usually have a MaxPro chocolate shake immediately after, then grab some dinner (like chicken & veggies, or elk steak on spinach...)

Your trainer ever back any of that up with actual research? I've never seen anything legitimate supporting that claim.

My dietitian says it's a load of bunk. The 30 minute part... It's still a good idea to eat protein if your kidney's can take it.,

Which is why I asked. ;)

You can find research that says it's good, and research that says it makes no difference (just like coffee is great for you one day, and can kill you the next day). He merely says that it is optimal (not absolutely necessary), he is not pushing powders or supplements. He keeps chocolate milk and grilled chicken breasts in his fridge and just recommends having some protein-rich fuel as soon as possible post-workout.

And I can only say that it has made a great difference in my post-workout recoveries and lean muscle building.
  • shelbybaughman0321
    shelbybaughman0321 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    For the past week I've been eating 105g's of seedless green grapes, a half cup of low fat cottage cheese with a tablespoon of sunflower seeds on top, a 90 calorie pack of Harvest Cheddar Sun Chips, and a mix of 4 oz chocolate milk and 4 oz of 2% white milk. I've read a few articles recently that suggest that a glass of chocolate milk 30 minutes after a workout is amazing for your body, as the carbohydrates in it refuel your muscles. I just like the excuse to drink chocolate milk every day. Teehee.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Usually nothing for an hour or two later, and then whatever I want.
  • icywindow
    icywindow Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Which is why I asked. ;)

You can find research that says it's good, and research that says it makes no difference (just like coffee is great for you one day, and can kill you the next day). He merely says that it is optimal (not absolutely necessary), he is not pushing powders or supplements. He keeps chocolate milk and grilled chicken breasts in his fridge and just recommends having some protein-rich fuel as soon as possible post-workout.

And I can only say that it has made a great difference in my post-workout recoveries and lean muscle building.

There's some research on this page - http://www.theiflife.com/how-much-protein-per-day-build-muscle/ - saying that protein synthesis does increase with post-workout protein, but over 9 hours, that difference evens out. Here's a quote basically summing it up:

"When you have the right kind of recovery and still eat enough during the day, it seems the *hype* about the post workout window goes away. Honestly unless you are a hard training athlete who needs immediate glycogen replenishment to train again the next day, trying to intake protein (with carbs) during or right after a workout is not necessary."

Incidentally, the page also has a lot of other interesting research that basically says as long as you get sufficient decent quality protein, your body will figure out how to use it.