I think my husband is sabatoshing my weight loss.

Options
I think my husband is hurting my weight loss. He is also overweight, and doesn't count his callories the way that I do. I noticed that he really enjoys large portions and comfort food. And he like to buy me treats. And I do get mad at him when he does this. At a bbq he got me a second hotdog and I yelled at him. He even cooked me two egg rolls for breakfast without asking if I wanted any. He also cooked me a full plate of rice and eggs for dinner. I don't know what to do with him. I haven't lost any witht in the last 3 months, and I think his sabatoshing has a lot do with it. I love him. and I just don't know how to get tough with him.

Replies

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Don’t eat it! It will hurt his feelings a few times then maybe he will adjust. Could it be habit? Do you guys bond and socialize over foods and now he isn’t sure how to otherwise?
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    My partner and my husband both have food as their love language.

Husband doesn’t cook anymore so at least I’m not getting it from both of them right now.
    But it has taken years to get my partner to understand what a serving size is. Years…

Before this current weight loss journey I’d eat everything because my partner is an extremely good cook. But sometime before the pandemic I did Noom and I started just eating half, and putting the rest in the fridge. I’d tell my partner how good the food was, thank him profusely, and tell him I love him.

After the diabetes diagnosis in Feb I had to really buckle down. I got divided plates, which really helped him visualize portion sizes. I also got a really nifty set of measuring/serving scoops on Amazon. 8 pieces. Long handles because they’re really meant for restaurants. But they are 4 solid, and 4 with drain holes. Quarter, half, three quarter, and full cup sized. Those have been a game changer too.

Anyhow, my advice is patience and love. With tools to help visualize serving size. AND then firm boundaries.
  • trevnessittnatree
    trevnessittnatree Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It’s Time to be a little selfish about your health. If he notices your not participating in having bad habits he might learn to be adaptive. Nice quiet talk might solve things. I think 🤔 a conversation in the beginning might be what y’all need. No Yelling just calmness.
  • jayenguk
    jayenguk Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    would he be interested in doing this with you and maybe working as a team and you both eat healthy? Maybe he is insecure that your losing weight and he wonders where it will leave him? just a thought? might be fun if you both do it together :)
  • feroshusavocado
    feroshusavocado Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    One tip I learned from my dietician, when saying "no thanks" to people like this, is to say "No thanks, I'm really happy right now." Because when they offer you food, they are trying to bring you joy, so to explicitly mention that you are good and happy lets them know that you really don't need the food and are not suffering.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,292 Member
    Options
    My husband likes to do most of the cooking so it's difficult as portion size is a problem but I have worked around it and have a large main meal then tweak other meals accordingly to stay under my target and if its been treats ie chocolate or cake them the tweaking balances it out. Good luck for my its about being flexible.