Scales

Options
yellow2468
yellow2468 Posts: 1 Member
When trying to lose is it best to get on scales each am or one time a week? Thanks. K L

Replies

• boilerdawg2009
    boilerdawg2009 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person. For me it helps to hold me accountable plus I also see what my eating and exercise from the day before contributed to my progress. For some people it can be discouraging though to see little or no progress each day so it's helpful to just weigh in once a week. I would say try doing it everyday but if you feel discouraged then maybe switch to once a week.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,111 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I personally prefer daily, because I prefer having as much data as possible: my weight loss is slow, so weighing every day helps me determine my weight loss trend beyond the daily fluctuations (I have a spreadsheet and use Libra, a weight trend app).

Some people are discouraged by the daily fluctuations, so they might choose to weigh less frequently.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    It's very indivualized.

I've gone through periods where I weigh every day to stay accountable and also accept my daily swings as just part of the process. Other times I knew that being up half a pound in a daily swing would totally destroy me so I would only weigh once a week.
  • BrightEyedAgain
    BrightEyedAgain Posts: 243 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    There's not really a "best" practice per se. It's all in what works for you. I normally weigh daily in the morning because I like learning about how my body reacts to different things. If I got a new low in the morning and then did a big workout or ate a large meal, I'll sometimes weigh at night also just to seee how my actions affected the numbers. That way I get more insight about water weight, etc. But some people make themselves crazy if they weigh too much, so that wouldn't be a good practice for them. Some people even prefer to skip the scale entirely and go off measurements or how their clothes fit. That's valid, too. For myself, though, I like playing around with numbers and it doesn't bother me.

Scale habits aside, I would encourage you to take some measurements and photos periodically also. That can really help when your brain isn't seeing progress clearly and the scale doesn't cooperate. Especially take a good before photo and the measurements that go with it. I didn't do that, and I wish I had. You don't have to post it if you feel self-conscious, but it might be really fun to have later on when you've lost more than you dreamed possible.
  • JeannieP1965
    JeannieP1965 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh in daily. Not only is it a good habit; but it prevents me from exercising more or eating less on the day before weigh in. :)
  • stuntin666
    stuntin666 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    yeah i got rid of my scale.
    I get obsessive about it, i can weigh myself multiple times a day and then i like to see the number go lower and lower.
    so now ive just been doing cardio and counting my calories, and i cant tell if i lost anything but i guess its better than doing nothing.
  • Jerzilla777
    Jerzilla777 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day in the morning after using the washroom and before eating or drinking on my renpho body fat scale. I then take a weekly average and see if my weekly average is going down.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    three years ago I gained 25 lbs so after that I decided to weigh daily and see where I stand. Then if the weight goes up I can be extra cautious and get it back down quickly.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I prefer daily, in morning after bathroom and before drinking or eating. Sometimes I weigh right before bed just to see how much comes off during the night! I think weekly weighing is useful though if you aren't interested in seeing all the daily fluctuations the way I am.
  • BeeBob46
    BeeBob46 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily. For me, it helped me get over that "scale anxiety" I used to have. I weigh in 7 days in a row, record my weight each day and at the end of the week, I throw out the 3 highest and 3 lowest weights. That gives you a number in the middle to work with that basically averages your high and low days. You just have to find what keeps you motivated. :)
  • MrsDogLady
    MrsDogLady Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Saturday morning, every week. I use a meal planner and it channels me through the week, I usually eat super light on Fridays, in prep for Saturday weigh-in. It works for me.
  • oneleg_11b
    oneleg_11b Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I weigh every couple weeks. If I weigh every day I get discouraged because I don't see results everyday. Also exercise can add muscle which can add weight which is NOT a bad thing. Lean muscle is good. It is really up to your personality. If you need to track daily for accountability do so. If you find daily discourages you wait a week or 2. I hope this helps.
  • AldiAttorney
    AldiAttorney Posts: 14 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I weigh in daily just for the lulz, weekly for the records and calorie intake adjustments, and take pictures of myself in the morning every 3-4 days to really see the progress I am making.

Whenever I feel discouraged by the numbers on the scale, I take a look at the pictures and compare them side-by-side.
  • YvonnePM
    YvonnePM Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I believe it is a personal decision. What works best for you doesn't always work best for someone else. I personally like to weigh in every morning. That way I can see whether what I'm doing is working. I can see daily fluctuations and find an understanding of water intake, food decisions, and exercise results.
  • Shelby2happy
    Shelby2happy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I weigh every 2 weeks.. It is sometimes hard to weight, but I find if I weigh more often, I put waaay too much stock into the number. For me, it makes most sense to do every 2 weeks.
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I weigh once per week for my "official" check ins with MFP. Will I step on the scale daily? Sometimes... but it can drive one crazy by doing that. There are way too many factors in my opinion to take that data in on a daily basis. The best indicator is how you are feeling, and looking in the mirror, and how your clothes are fitting.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!