Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Eat to exercise or exercise to eat: which describes you?

Options
Jthanmyfitnesspal
Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
The question about "eat to exercise" or "exercise to eat" is a good one. I guessing that big exercisers do a little of both. Which one describes you? How would you know if you had a problem?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Both! I love to be active and I love that it gives me more calories.

I'd know I had a problem if my partner was complaining I wasn't spending time with him due to exercise. (I have plenty of time these days - it's not like I'm working 12s and fighting to squeeze in exercise and couple time.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    This thread reminds me of another: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10839562/eating-back-exercise-calories/p1

So paging people involved in this same debate there: @wilson10102018, @rheddmobile, @wunderkindking, @glassyo
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Eat to exercise, most of the time,but some of both.

The truth is my daily activity is high enough just through life that my calories without additional activity are fine for me. The rest of the truth is, I don't exercise to be 'virtuous' or even to be more fit. The things I do as additional purposeful exercise are hobbies that I find to be an absolute BLAST and that involve movement - or things designed to improve my performance at those super-fun things that happen to be exercise.

I started weight loss with a desire to do more active things I always loved - horseback ride, paddleboards, climbing, trail running, harder hikes, swimming, etc and to have better fitness for dog agility.

I'm less 'exercising' for the sake of... anything than I am playing outside like an overgrown 12 year old on summer vacation.

I don't want to lose much more weight (i'm drifting downward but slowly and that's fine) and I DO want to play. So. I eat more. However, I also find cake delicious so that playing outside gives me room to eat more cake or cake more often? Absolutely a good thing.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Oh, and for me I'd know I had a problem -for me - if I said "I am some small amount over my calories, and that is unacceptable and I must exercise to burn those off".

Basically if I was REACTING to what I'd already done, instead of making conscious decisions and taking deliberated actions without any sort of negative emotion (fear/panic/guilt/etc)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Both.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I totally exercise to eat. I love food, meaning I like enjoying all types of food, and I have a big appetite. I know there would be no way for me to eat in the way I like go without some added exercise.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm firmly in the "exercise to eat" camp. I also like what it does for my mental and physical health.

I don't think the act of earning calories is problematic (at least for me). I think it can fit perfectly into a sustainable weight management strategy. It's only problematic when the way you mentally process it is problematic, just like calorie counting, weighing yourself, washing your hands, and just about any other activity that can be a symptom of something that is already an issue.
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I do it purely for health reasons (Crohn's) to be honest, however seeing as that wasn't really the question, I believe it would be exercise to eat.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Neither, I have to control my calories to lose weight then maintain. And I really don't care for exercise although I know the value of it and I do it as much as I can, but I don't use it to get extra calories to eat and I don't worry about exercising off anything I eat, I don't have that much time or energy. So I'll stay in a deficit for weight loss and when I exercise I will do it for the benefits of my health such as controlling my blood sugar numbers. <3
  • Plasicage
    Plasicage Posts: 336 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I was exercise to eat, but I do like to exercise too. Would go easier on the running though, if I didn't want to lose the lbs.

Actually this pandemic put me to test as I didn't have cardio machines at home, so I just lifted my limited weights, and still lost 8lbs in a month before going back to running.
    So I have proved to myself that I don't need to exercise to eat.

If we go back to lockdown during the 4th wave, I hope I can use my gained knowledge to transition back to no cardio. Just weights, but I don't add it to my exercise calories. 😊
    (Also live where it's winter 7 months a year)
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I also exercise for health reasons, to fuel my body, and because I like it and enjoy it. I don't care about the calories, I only log the time that I spent exercising, not the calories. If I am hungry I will eat more, otherwise I more or less stay around my TDEE. I have been in maintenance for over 11 years, and my approach has been working well.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Exercise to eat
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I sometimes forget to eat. So I can’t say I eat to exercise.
    And I exercise because I need to to live, although I do fondly remember unicycling, mountain climbing, running, and other outdoor activities. I will never be able to do those things again.
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm somewhere in between. I exercise mostly to improve my health (20 years of excess weight and a sedentary lifestyle have taken a toll), and I know the exercise that I do needs to be fueled. But I'd be lying if I didn't admit that the extra calories that I've earned have been very welcome, especially in the desserts/sweets department.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I'm more in the "exercise for my future health as I age" camp but I'm more on the eat to exercise end of things. Specifically, I'm trying to feed these muscles so they'll grow, I'm gonna need them.