Do your pets need to lose weight too?

Options

Replies

• calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    http://www.peta.org/living/companion-animals/vegetarian-cats-and-dogs.aspx?PageIndex=3

Look at how happy she is since she's lost weight on her vegan diet.

2177945.jpg?type=articleLandscape
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I would also be interested in this thread. One of our cats is overweight, no matter how timed the feedings are.

What kinds of exercises can you do with a cat? She will bat at a string for a few minutes but then loses interest and doesn't want to do anything.

Get the cat used to a leash and take it for walks. Get a cat tree. Limit the food and buy over weight food. Get door dangles, they are cat toys that hang from the door knobs. Give your cat a crumbled up sheet of paper or wrapping paper. Create a cardboard cat house for it to play with. And it isn't about the time of the feedings, it is about the type and amount.

Those are good ideas! We do not have a cat tree nor toys that hang from door knobs. I could make a cardboard house - that's fantastic! I haven't tried crumbled up paper. Thank you - these are great!

We got a cat tree not long after we got our cat... we were in an apartment and the crazy thing was hanging onto the blinds like a monkey... it was the only way (other than declawing which is something I won't do) to get him to stop...
  • MsWallwoman
    Options
    I would also be interested in this thread. One of our cats is overweight, no matter how timed the feedings are.

What kinds of exercises can you do with a cat? She will bat at a string for a few minutes but then loses interest and doesn't want to do anything.

Mine has the same attention span. Lol I make the effort to make her run for the few treats she gets, and play as often as possible. Cats are hard. I also give her cat nip toys which give her bursts of energy.
    Your vet might have some ideas that might help, maybe.
    Good luck!
  • julesyb1982
    Options
    We had a cat tree. It became a clothes hanger. Nobody cared about it.
  • julesyb1982
    Options
    Our cat eats an indoor formula of cat food. She sleeps most of the day but has little bursts of activity, generally involving attempting to maul us, or one of her toys, or both. This routine seems to be working fine for her, as the vet says she's at a healthy weight.

Awww.. your kitty is cute!!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    My dogs are very thin, and my German Shepherd is difficult to get to eat. She'd rather play. Since we forced my kitty to be an inside kitty she has gotten chunky. She used to climb and chase birds all day now she just eats and sleeps.

I'd let her out but I'm scared that she'll be eaten by coyotes

Our Sheltie is rather thin as well... but since he has the energy of a chihuahua we don't worry too much... As far as the cat, can you let her out during the day and bring her back in at night. If I remember correctly, coyotes are primarily active at dusk and dawn... at least I don't remember seeing and hearing them at any other time.
  • MsWallwoman
    Options
    I feed my "kids" (dog and cat) natural foods, natural low calorie treats and do my best to keep them active. I chase them around, throw treats (which I keep to a small amount), and do my best to always have their health and best interest in mind. I am so very blessed to have them in my life, they are such amazing gifts. :)
  • julesyb1982
    Options
    http://www.peta.org/living/companion-animals/vegetarian-cats-and-dogs.aspx?PageIndex=3

I've heard you're not supposed to feed cats a vegan diet. I'm not bashing it by any means. I used to be a vegan... my oldest cat acts like she hates meat to be honest.
  • julesyb1982
    Options
    I feed my "kids" (dog and cat) natural foods, natural low calorie treats and do my best to keep them active. I chase them around, throw treats (which I keep to a small amount), and do my best to always have their health and best interest in mind. I am so very blessed to have them in my life, they are such amazing gifts. :)

They are amazing gifts. My pets are my life and animals are my true and absolute passion. That's why I feel so bad that they're overweight!!!!! We are the most responsible pet owners with vet visits, vaccines, quality food, toys, and love. I even pay lots of $$$ for a pet sitter to come by daily to ensure their well being. Now if I can only get a pound or two off of them!!
  • Adrianachiarato
    Adrianachiarato Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    They did, but not any longer. I've put them on a diet, increased their exercising. They are fine now.
  • KokowithaK
    KokowithaK Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Losing/maintaining weight for animals is similar to the way we do it ourselves: Counting calories.
    Here's a great site that provides the amount of calories your dog would need to eat in order to maintain weight. It also has a great rating of the different dog food out there based on the nutritional content.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-feeding-tips/dog-food-calculator/

I don't put too much stock in what Pet MD says but this was an interesting article: http://www.petmd.com/cat/nutrition/evr_ct_obesity_in_cats_and_what_to_do_about_an_overweight_cat

"Seriously, far too many pet owners truly believe that food intake has nothing at all to do with their pet’s weight and no amount of counseling will convince them otherwise."
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    Nah my doggie is perfect sized!
    43359607_2944.jpg
    Us after our latest 8.8 mile hike
    43359607_8659.jpg
    Sorry I see any dog thread as an excuse to post pictures.....
  • misti777
    misti777 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you're feeding them wet food, switch too dry. All my life my family has fed our animals dry food and none of them have ever been overweight. Try that.
  • NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    My cat is my accountability partner for MFP. :bigsmile:
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    One of my dogs is old, has diabetes. So he's always on a strict diet.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    My dogs are very thin, and my German Shepherd is difficult to get to eat. She'd rather play. Since we forced my kitty to be an inside kitty she has gotten chunky. She used to climb and chase birds all day now she just eats and sleeps.

I'd let her out but I'm scared that she'll be eaten by coyotes

Our Sheltie is rather thin as well... but since he has the energy of a chihuahua we don't worry too much... As far as the cat, can you let her out during the day and bring her back in at night. If I remember correctly, coyotes are primarily active at dusk and dawn... at least I don't remember seeing and hearing them at any other time.

That's an idea to consider even if when we get home from work until a bit after dusk might give her a bit more activity then she is getting now.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge animal lover. I don't spoil my pets horribly with treats or bad food, yet somehow they are all overweight. My whole family, human and animal, needs to lose weight! Anyone else have overweight pets? How have you helped them lose weight?

Our beagle who passed last year (RIP) was overweight and we successfully trimmed her down. For some reason it's harder this time around with our little terrier and new beagle. And the cats are chubby too. We feed them on a schedule. Play. Walks. I don't know what else to do.

One of my dogs was a bit chubby until I moved into a place with a backyard and a pool. He does his own workouts now, I swear... it's too funny. He'll run around all crazy in the backyard, do some laps in the pool (I'm not kidding) and then eat his dinner. It's adorable.

Other than that, I started taking him on longer walks and feeding him less. I realized I was overfeeding him simply because he had the ability to eat more. Portion control is important, even with animals.

Another thing I realized was that what *I* thought was a lot of exercise for my dog, wasn't something *he* considered to be "a lot". Animals have a lot more energy to expend than we realize. This is going to sound silly, but up the intensity of his workouts. :)

If all else fails try a new dog food. There are reasonably priced brands that offer a "healthier" alternative. Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    What's ironic is that many sedentary pet owners I know, also have sedentary pets. And they're usually fat too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's ironic that sedentary owners = sedentary pets, it makes perfect sense. After all, we can't expect our dogs to go hit the gym while we munch on our goodies and watch TV. ;)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I've heard you're not supposed to feed cats a vegan diet. I'm not bashing it by any means. I used to be a vegan... my oldest cat acts like she hates meat to be honest.

No, you aren't supposed to make cats go vegan. You can kill them doing that. They are CARNIVORES.