Who gets up early to go to the gym?

Options

Replies

• walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:14
    - its the only way I can make sure I get it in with all the kids activities and family needs at night
    - great way to start the day

How to do it
    - Just do it, in the beginning it will be an adjustment, but you will start sleeping early because your body needs it.
    - find buddies to join you. Not letting down a workout partner is huge. But when I am solo, I still get it done.

Contrary to others
    - I really dont get used to it, I would love to sleep in
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Getting up early for the gym is a habit you can form just like any other routine you get accustomed too.

Going early has advantages, no crowds, workout over early in the day, as mentioned by other posters.

Start setting up the alarm and get up and go!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym, but I get up around 430 to work out before the kids wake up. I have to go to bed early so I'm not tired, have my coffee ready brewed via auto timer, and have my workout clothes sitting out on my dresser. Then I just sip my coffee and plug my music into my ears, within about 10 minutes I'm ready to run the trails by my house, do the spin bike, weights, or whatever i'm in the mood for. I know that if I wait until after work I won't do it so I know I have to.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I just set the alarm and get up. I like the people at the Y in the mornings, they are so positive and uplifting.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I go to bed at 10:00 p.m. every night. I cannot fall asleep for at least an hour. No matter what I do. I have lots of anxiety and racing thoughts. I've tried anti-anxiety medication but it doesn't help much.

I take melatonin on nights I can't stop thinking about things. It seems to make a difference.

I take trazodone for that exact thing, night time anxiety. Panic attacks as I'm laying in bed if I don't take it, and it helps me fall asleep, the good thing though is it doesn't knock me out, I can still hear the baby and get up with her if I have to.
  • flexninja
    Options
    yeah buddy best time to excersie. starts your morning off with a kickstart and a a boost of energy for the rest of your day. for maE LIFTERS testosterone is the highest in the morning and helps you get in the right mindset.
  • bigjretrac
    bigjretrac Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've found that I have the best results when I pack everything for the gym the night before. I have everything laid out so the only thing I have to do is brush my teeth, wash my face, get into my gym clothes and GO! Anything more than that, and I won't go.

PS- I use Melatonin on tough nights too, and it seems to help :D
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I generally get up about 2 hours early to hit the gym - when have clinic at 9 I will aim to be starting my lifting routine by 7 or so just so I have enough time to shower/change and head to work

that being said I think it's a lot easier for guys then gals - I literally hop in the gym shower get out, towel off - throw on some deodorant and change into slacks/shirt/tie - or just scrubs and head in.
  • ccburn5
    ccburn5 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I do I do!! 5:30 a.m. 3 days a week. Its a routine now!!!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I've never been a morning person. I'm still not really, but I get up at 4:30 to work out anyway.

In the beginning I had to not think about it at all. I would just roll out of bed as soon as my alarm went off, and start moving. If I thought about why I was getting up so early, I would say screw it and go back to sleep.

I'm used to it now, but I still lay everything out the night before.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    you just do it. set an alarm, go to bed, wake up and hit the door. it might be tough at first but it quickly becomes second nature. i don't even have to set my alarm to wake up at 5:30 am anymore.

This... Although I had a little help.. I haven't been able to sleep past 5:15 in the morning since my days in the US Army... lol We had PT at 6 a.m. so we was always up at 5:15 and eventually didn't even need a alarm clock and I still don't to this day... Been out of the service is 1991.... You just have to do it...

I might add back then I could still be up at 1 in the morning and get up with no problem at 5:15 but today I am in bed every night at 10 lol
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I go to bed at 10:00 p.m. every night. I cannot fall asleep for at least an hour. No matter what I do. I have lots of anxiety and racing thoughts. I've tried anti-anxiety medication but it doesn't help much.

Yoga right before bed. Focusing on breathing and relaxation. But it is very important that you go directly from the floor to the bed. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars. If you make a stop to use the potty, have a drink of water, brush your teeth, it will ruin the effect. This helps me, I've been plagued with stress related sleep issues since childhood.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    In January this year I re-joined the gym. I planned to go 2 nights a week, but after work I'm tired and also a single mum... It just wasn't working.

So I decided to go in the morning. I am NOT a morning person, but the time worked... The gym opens at 5am, I don't have to leave for work until about 7:45am. It was do-able.

First day, I set my alarm for 5:30am. It went off, I got up. DO NOT PAUSE!!! Just get up. It's the only way to do it. Within the month, I was getting up at 4:45am so I could get there at opening time.

The best way I have found is this:

I put my clothes out the night before, shoes everything ready to go.
    I pack my bag the night before.
    Fill out my FitBook we plan of what I am going to do (weight training).
    Set Alarm in phone, this is saved for weekdays.
    Go to bed early, I'm in bed by about 9pm so I get a,good night sleep.
    Alarm goes off at 4:37am. I get up. Do not pause. Get up.
    Go to toilet, brush teeth, get dressed, fill water bottle (shake in BCAA's) and leave.
    Sip BCAA water on way to gym.
    Get to gym, and by this time I am raring to go!!

I hope this helps :)

Oh, and another reason that early workouts are good is that no matter what happens during the day, you know you have done your workout and that's a good feeling!!
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I despise mornings, but if I don't workout in the morn, it too often doesn't get done. Gym days, I am drinking a cup of coffee on the road (20 min drive from home to gym). If I am hitting the weights in my garage, lately its been drinking a pre-workout (I am liking C4 at the moment) as soon as I climb out of bed. By the time I get dressed, stumble into the garage, and get warmed up, I am pretty well woken up.
  • ares323
    ares323 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am not a morning person as well. I work full time and then I go to school full time in the evenings. I get home at 9 pm and do homework for about 2 hours. The best thing I would suggest your to do is to buy an alarm clock and place it on your dresser away from your bed. This allows you to get out of the bed to turn it off. This is how I get up every morning at 4:30 to workout. After the workout , you are full of energy. If you want it bad enough, you will try anything to get it. :)
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I actually don't have to, because the gym doesn't open until 7h30 ;-). And I go swimming at 7h once a week. Only work 80% so I go to work later on those mornings.

I haven't found a way to get up before 5h45 to workout.... Some people just don't tick that way.

Good luck finding your routine!
  • jessgetsexy
    jessgetsexy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have actually just started going in the morning..... and i have the same sleeping pattern as you... i set my alarm for 545 am and i have my gym clothes out .... sometimes i sleep in them so i cant think quick enough to make an excuse not to go. I have a lot more energy throughout the day working out in the morning, and there are wayyyy less people in the gym =] Good luck
  • Olectra
    Olectra Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It is all in the preparation

No caffeine after lunch

1. 8:15 pm... Get ready for the morning. Turn off computer, television, radio, etc, pack gym stuff (HRM, swim suit, shoes, towel, whatever)
    2. 8:30 pm... brush teeth, take out dog, change into pajamas, lock up house, finish logging for the day
    3. 9:00 pm... Lights out
    4. 9:05 pm... I'm asleep
    5. 4:30 am... Turn off alarm, get out of bed, get dressed. NO SNOOZE BUTTON ALLOWED unless I am physically ill or injured
    6. 5:00 am... Leave for the gym
    7. 5:15 am... Start workout
    8. 6:15 am... Workout is done. I feel great and no fretting about my workout because... Yep, it's done. And if I feel up for a second workout in the afternoon. WOOHOO!! Go me!

:)
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Eff that! Night workouts FTW! :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Even after 7 years of getting up at 5 or 5:15am, my body has yet to 'embrace' this as a habit. Every time the alarm goes off, my first thought is to shut it off and go back to bed. However, as others have said, it's a force of habit at this point. I just get up and go. The first five or ten minutes are kind of rough but then once i'm actually awake, it's fine. I love getting it out of the way in the AM!