Can I record steps as an exercise

Options
Hello there.
I have a smart watch which counts my steps but I can't link to MFP.
I was wondering if I could make an exercise.
Does anyone know if this is possible and if so what kind of exercise it is.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,195 Member
    Options
    You can enter it as walking, if you know the time/distance.
    Don't forget that a certain amount of activity (steps) is already included in your activity level, even sedentary includes probably the equivalent of around 3000 steps, so you don't want to add all of your steps as exercise or you'll be double-counting.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    unless it is DELIBERATE exercise, no, i do not count it.

i live on a farm. i dont count steps and my daily activity as exercise. if i take a purposeful walk, then yes. time at the gym, yes.

random steps from my fitbit. no.
  • stealthette
    stealthette Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Don't forget that a certain amount of activity (steps) is already included in your activity level, even sedentary includes probably the equivalent of around 3000 steps, so you don't want to add all of your steps as exercise or you'll be double-counting.

I've been putting in every last step I do, except for housework steps, I live alone so they're no 3k a day!
    I've actually lost more than MFP calculated. MFP says most days I'll lose 3-5lbs in 5 weeks, but I've actually lost 3 in 2.5 weeks.

Are you sure they are doing this? Where did you read that?
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

I've been putting in every last step I do, except for housework steps, I live alone so they're no 3k a day!
    I've actually lost more than MFP calculated. MFP says most days I'll lose 3-5lbs in 5 weeks, but I've actually lost 3 in 2.5 weeks.

What do you mean you've been "putting in" every step? How are you adding them?
  • Lietchi
    edited August 2021
    Options

Even sedentary includes a base amount of activity, yes. The 3000 number of steps is just an approximation though. But all the MFP calculations are just estimates based on statistical averages, which means it's more or less accurate for most people, not so accurate for some and very inaccurate for a small minority. In both directions by the way, not just overestimating but also underestimating for some.

Also, if you've just started your weight loss, it's common to lose a bit more quickly the first weeks from reduced food waste in the digestive system and water weight losses.
  • stealthette
    Options

Even sedentary includes a base amount of activity, yes. The 3000 number of steps is just an approximation though. But all the MFP calculations are just estimates based on statistical averages, which means it's more or less accurate for most people, not so accurate for some and very inaccurate for a small minority. In both directions by the way, not just overestimating but also underestimating for some.

Also, if you've just started your weight loss, it's common to lose a bit more quickly the first weeks from reduced food waste in the digestive system and water weight losses.

I haven't just started. I have upped my exercise in the past 3 weeks. Thanks for assuming.
  • stealthette
    edited August 2021
    Options

What do you mean you've been "putting in" every step? How are you adding them?

Every time I leave my front door I record my distance and time. I should have said I record every calorie burned from walking. Although I used to have a step app that calculates it for you but it took up too much space on my phone so I ditched it.

I also use a site for when I mow the lawn, I calculate everything I do outside my front door using various websites that have calculators.

They have walking speed on here, but they don't have cycle speed its only one speed and what it assumes is a bit faster than I go so I have to use a calculator for that and reduce the minutes I enter on this site. I can record the distance and the time it takes on my phone.

I literally HATE exercising so I don't miss a single calorie out. I'm not doing one second of this for nothing.
  • Lietchi
    Options

I haven't just started. I have upped my exercise in the past 3 weeks. Thanks for assuming.

There's an 'if' in that sentence...
  • stealthette
    Options

What are you on about...
  • stealthette
    edited August 2021
    Options

Never mind I see the IF now.. you have to forgive me, I've been on a calorie deficit enough to lose a chunk of fat, I'm so freaking quick to jump to the wrong conclusion. I cannot wait to lose another few lbs so I can EAT to satisfaction. I'm happy with my results, but my general happiness is patchy at best. Sorry.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options

Never mind I see the IF now.. you have to forgive me, I've been on a calorie deficit enough to lose a chunk of fat, I'm so freaking quick to jump to the wrong conclusion. I cannot wait to lose another few lbs so I can EAT to satisfaction. I'm happy with my results, but my general happiness is patchy at best. Sorry.

Maybe your calorie deficit is too large for the amount of weight you have to lose?

I started off with a weekly weight loss goal of 2 pounds but quickly realized that was too aggressive for me.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Hello there.
    I have a smart watch which counts my steps but I can't link to MFP.
    I was wondering if I could make an exercise.
    Does anyone know if this is possible and if so what kind of exercise it is.

My pedometer does not link to MFP. I know how many steps are in my miles, and I know I do a 20 minutes mile, so if I've walked 2 miles (or the equivalent amount of steps) I use the entry "Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace" and put in 40 minutes.

I bet if my dumb pedometer has the option for miles in addition to steps, your smart watch will too, which will save a step in the calculation.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options

Is there any way to check if that sedentary = 3000 steps is true? Because that could be a factor for some disabled people (myself included) who are trying to lose weight.

I have kept my calories intentionally low because I suspected it might be the case. But I’d like to be sure. At my height and current weight that’s about 150 calories.
  • Lietchi
    Options
    It's a number I've read on these forums, but it's just an approximation (steps being a proxy for calculating calorie burn).

A way to test this would be to sync a fitness tracker or step tracker (like the Pacer app) and see if you get a positive calorie adjustment or a negative one (after activating negative calorie adjustments in the settings).

For me it's variable: my tracker also takes into account my heart rate, so not all steps are taken into account equally. Sometimes I get a positive adjustment beyond 2000 steps and sometimes it takes more steps than that.
  • stealthette
    edited August 2021
    Options

Is there any way to check if that sedentary = 3000 steps is true? Because that could be a factor for some disabled people (myself included) who are trying to lose weight.

I have kept my calories intentionally low because I suspected it might be the case. But I’d like to be sure. At my height and current weight that’s about 150 calories.

I finally figured out a way to suss this out properly. It turns out sedentary does include general chores around the house, showering, and even gardening one article mentioned! You can read about that here: https://antranik.org/proper-activity-level-for-calorie-intake/

Anyway, here's how to work out your own. If you use https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html which has the same stats as what MFP is using, you can ask it your BMR that's the calories you need to sleep all day. And then ask it your sedentary calories, a bit of subtraction and you will get the answer for you personally.

For example, mine is 1412 sedentary - 1177 BMR = 235 calories MFP is assuming I'm burning daily being sedentary.
  • kshama2001
    edited August 2021
    Options

I think you should just use your data. If, over at least a month, you eat back all your steps and lose slower than expected, try not eating back 2,000 or so of them and see what happens after another month.

Or, as you are currently keeping your calories low - are you losing a little faster than expected? In that case, do eat back more steps.

When I think of "sedentary" I think of my partner's now deceased mother. She certainly got no where near 3,000 steps per day, so it is hard for me to think of that as the threshold for sedentary.
  • paulspaperclip
    paulspaperclip Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all
    I will start probably now
  • justanotherloser007
    justanotherloser007 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    So, I have a question. I am sedentary now, and have been for awhile. On days I do not diet, I try to eat what my maintenance will be. I did the calculator, and this is what it said for sedentary my age, sex, weight. "The number of Calories required to maintain your weight seems low." They calculated it, why are they telling me this seems low? Their calculations not mine!