Probiotics

Options
2»

Replies

• amioc
    amioc Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Wishing you all the very best. Chronic constipation, causing or implicated in other conditions can be a real problem to fix, especially for women. Our bodies are very complicated, should be working as one, not in the fragmented way some medical systems seem to imagine. I hope your consultant works in a holistic way.

I'm sure you are addressing fluids; fibre - psyllium husks helped me, added to rice milk at the end of the day; ensuring my endocrine system is working well was invaluable, with the right support for me; then allowing yourself enough time to evacuate is vital when in the "mood".

Commenting to emphasize that yes, psyllium husk is great…. But don’t over do it.
    It can be as good as a cork and just trust me on that.
    I found out the hard way. (Not an obstruction. But it was an uncomfortable few days at the beginning of this journey)

Two teaspoons. Maybe two and a half.
    Double it and you could be sorry.

More? You could be very very sorry.
    So ya. Don’t do that. Which I’m sure you won’t. But I just had to mention it.
    Wishing you all the very best. Chronic constipation, causing or implicated in other conditions can be a real problem to fix, especially for women. Our bodies are very complicated, should be working as one, not in the fragmented way some medical systems seem to imagine. I hope your consultant works in a holistic way.

I'm sure you are addressing fluids; fibre - psyllium husks helped me, added to rice milk at the end of the day; ensuring my endocrine system is working well was invaluable, with the right support for me; then allowing yourself enough time to evacuate is vital when in the "mood".

Optibac products really helped me with my biome after a lifetime of antibiotics and other common female medications which also compromise our insides. It was a relief to find their products because they do not come with unnecessary flavours to aggravate my salicylate sensitivity which is in the background now. The product of theirs I'd recommend for after the one for "after antibiotics" may be with come to that as you can mix and match, is the "everyday", because it contains more strains and its the more the merrier when it comes species to help digestion. I'm sure you have a list of foods which are more beneficial to your microbiome than others, if you can eat them.

Everyone says "fermented foods are a must" only with Histamine Intolerance, where histamine levels are volatile a topic of its own, where citrus among other things can release histamine may not be helpful depending on the background of your issues. Histamine Intolerance, aka Sensitivity is a story of its own. Histamine and Salicylate intolerance can be combined overlapping but divisive issues. Histamine to generalise is from the degrading of foods where as Salicylate is a compound found in many fruits and veg which some have difficulties eliminating. There is so much more information available now than there was only a few years ago.

Thankfully we are all different in our difficulties. Again wishing YOU, amioc all the very best in achieving your personal good health.
    Thank you for this advice. I am having plenty of fluid and fibre I also have chia seeds linn seeds and flaxseed. I have just started kefir and a probiotic off Amazon called bio something or other. So far not much change but I do feel slightly less bloated.
    I also have to use intermittent catheters and an at home irrigation pump along with 3 different laxatives. It’s been a very long hard 4 years 😭!!
    I’ve never heard of psyllium husks before but it definitely sounds like it’s worth trying! I will look it up now 😊!
    Also what is cork? When you say you found out the hard way is that because you went to the loo 🚽 to much or not at all?
  • amioc
    amioc Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    amioc wrote: »
    Thank you to you all for answering my question ☺️. So for me what I’m hoping to get out of them is to help with bloating and help regulate my bowels. It’s a long story but basically there is 2 operations I need to have but I can’t have them done until my bowels are regular because my problems will just end up coming back.
    I’ve suffered with chronic constipation and have been having help with this for over a year. My consultant phoned me a little while ago (I speak to him monthly to see if what he’s prescribed or equipment he’s given me have worked) and he’s told me to start taking probiotics to see if they help along side my medicine and diet. If we don’t get this sorted I may end up with a stoma bag. I’m 34
    and that’s the last thing I want 😕

Assuming you are already doing the normal things for constipation:

1. Fiber
    2. Fat
    3. Fluid
    4. Sufficient amount of food
    5. Exercise

I take vitamin C "to bowel tolerance" and am a regular as a clock. Since you have medical conditions, I suggest running this by a medical provider.

I put buffered, powdered vitamin C in warm water. (Along with blackstrap molasses for my anemia, which helps with the taste. The C also helps with the iron absorption.)

I'm not endorsing any of the medical claims made in this article - I am providing it for methodology only. I use vitamin C for constipation and previously for chemical sensitivity. Like the article states, I do find that when I am not feeling well, I can tolerate higher doses.

http://orthomolecular.org/library/jom/1981/pdf/1981-v10n02-p125.pdf
    Still trying to support our Op.

Magnesium deficiency can also underpin chronic constipation. I can't reproduce the dietary availability listings for improving one's magnesium levels, though dark green veg comes to mind. I remember Magnesium supplemented in the glycinate form can help with constipation, along with relaxation and I think cramps. OP, it could be worth you reading up and comparing your associated symptoms.

To echo the above poster, vit c can be very helpful. I once read a site about "high doses vit C". It suggested vit C can act as an antibiotic, it went on to say for some conditions to take it to your "tolerance", which was described as the point at which one's stool became loose. Again wider reading and associating it with your other symptoms could be called for.

I think I'm now out of things which might help, or things you could combine to suit, which could, if appropriate, get things moving so possibly you avoid the surgery as you wish.

Thanks guys I’m adding vitamin C to my list!
    In regards to surgery the 2 I have to have next year there is no getting around having them it’s the only way to fix them. I had one of the operations I need 4 years ago but because my Bowles weren’t fixed the problem came back and now that area is a lot weaker and things are a lot worse 😭! So now my Bowles need to be fixed or I will end up with a stoma bag which is the surgery I really really want to avoid 🙏
  • mcassoccpa
    mcassoccpa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As a rectal cancer patient. I struggled with bowel issues for over a year after surgery, constantly using Colace / Senna / Immodium and never found an answer till I added 1-2 tablespoons of Nopalina (fiber that contains senna) every morning.

With fiber for bulk, I'm able to control consistency with a daily Miralax dose - for me, the magic amount is half a dose daily. If I skip it for a day or two, I'm struggling with multiple protracted toilet trips to squeeze out hard, milkdud-sized poops. If I take a full dose of Miralax, I have soft, sticky extrusions for a day or two.

I still use immodium once daily in the am to control urges as well, but I believe adding fiber was the answer to a lot of my bowel issues. And it probably helps that the Nopalina fiber I use has prebiotics and senna as well as insoluble fiber. I'm sure the effective amounts of each (fiber, Miralax, Immodium) vary from person to person but I can say, I rarely have to think about my bowel habits at all. I usually go in the morning and then again around 6 pm, and have normal size/shape/consistency.

I'm also a believer in probiotics, mainly for immune system function, and take one daily. I don't think that affect the bowel function but I'm throwing it in there in case it does.