Mi band 5 exercise calories

Options
Hello everyone, I just bought a new mi band 5. I used to have the miband 4 and for an hour of weight lifting it says I burned 270 calories and an extra 150 for half an hour on the treadmill.
My last band used to give me appr 150 for 40 minutes of strength training and 100 cal for the treadmill.

Which one seems to be more accurate?

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,379 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. But I’m interested in the answer as I got my son and his wife a couple of these for their March birthdays and I have heard that they like them.

Both are on the fitness and exercise wagon at the moment.

Me? I love my Apple Watch. ;)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely no context for anyone but you to judge whether the smaller or larger numbers are more accurate. Only you know your stats, fitness level and exercise intensity.

"Half an hour on the treadmill" could be an elite level athlete running hard or someone walking slowly!

You could compare your lifting numbers to the MFP exercise database entry for strength training in the CV part of the diary.
    You could compare your walk or run on the treadmill to this calculator - https://exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs
  • thabit11
    thabit11 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    A half an hour of walking can burn 150 calories, but this depends on how much you weigh and your speed of walking. Not sure about the weight lifting, I usually do half an hour and burns 100+, it is more to how fast your heart beats while doing the workout.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    thabit11 wrote: »
    A half an hour of walking can burn 150 calories, but this depends on how much you weigh and your speed of walking. Not sure about the weight lifting, I usually do half an hour and burns 100+, it is more to how fast your heart beats while doing the workout.

Not for strength training - it's not an aerobic workout, HR rises for reasons outside of oxygen demand so there's no reliable relationship between someone's pulse and their calorie burns.
  • hazeleni
    hazeleni Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I used to do hiit workouts in the past and I always underestimated calories burned by the hundreds, so I am trying to be more aware of them to end the restrict-binge cycle. I guess we will see how it goes
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Go to the MFP Exercise database - search for Strength Training - enter the time, it'll give you a calorie burn using your stats.

That's a pretty good estimate.

For exercise walking ditto to the exrx site.

As to why they changed - did the old have perhaps an old weight in it and you've lost some?

They may have changed the formula for HR-based calculations to have it appear better - and as mentioned, that's not valid for anaerobic or interval exercise anyway, like lifting.