SQUATS

Options
I love my squats but I cant quite get my technique right,
no matter how slow and controlled I come up I can feel one side
of my body come up a bit faster than the other side.

Any tips/tricks to correct this??

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Hard to say without seeing you do it. Try to either upload a video of you squatting, or ask a good personal trainer or physical therapist to check your form.
    If you upload a vid, take one shot from the front and one from the side.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I watched videos on youtube for proper squat techniques. Then just used a mirror to make sure I was doing it properly. Now it's just second nature.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    What kind of squats are you doing? Loaded, unloaded, high bar, low bar, front? How did you learn your technique?
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Could you practice your technique by just doing half squats and progress from there?
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Hard to say without actually seeing it, but maybe your feet are too wide apart or not wide enough. Google videos on squats and see if you can learn from that. Good thing to get it right so you don't hurt yourself

Good luck!!!!!!
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I watched videos on youtube for proper squat techniques. Then just used a mirror to make sure I was doing it properly. Now it's just second nature.

Definitely the mirror. I was doing all kindsa weird stuff with my neck and body until I slowed it down in front of a mirror.... it helps to see yourself in action :laugh:
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    squats are personal - my left leg is more dominant then my right because of a knee injury when I was 16 and the resulting compensation - I learned that I had to use a slightly wider stance in order to get solid equal activation. That being said for the first 12 months I lifted I was able to bench more then I could squat - the biggest thing is to not care about the weight load you are using - just keep trying different variations until you find something you like

also try some mobility work:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBHzXF-mVjY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwIqeBy0t28

two clips that I like - just keep at it make sure to really warm up and do some mobility before hand as well - this had a big benefit for me
  • flexninja
    Options
    maybe try doing squats without the weight. focus on tucking in your core and exploding from your legs. i had this problem for a long time and it took me a while to get it down. good luck!