How do you stay full or satisfied?

Options
I know a lot of people have been posting that they cannot eat all their 1200 calories... I have the opposite problem! I find myself constantly hungry or thinking about food during the day. I am having trouble staying around 1200 calories per day... usually end up at 1500 or more (which is less than I used to eat before MFP).

Does anyone have any tips on moving towards a lower-calorie diet and less food intake while still staying safisfied?

Thanks!

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I eat every 2 hours pretty much all day
  • ldybugg
    ldybugg Posts: 134
    Options
    i snack thruout the day on things like baby carrots, apple slices, almonds. i try to stay balance w my protien and carbs- whole grain. plus by substituting healthier options for high cal things- spray butter, fat free mayo ect- it frees up alot of calories to eat more healthy snacks.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Higher protien foods and high fiber foods help you stay fuller.
    Also, I exercise - a walk or an exercise video. That will give me extra caloires for more food.
    Feel free to check out my food journal.
    I can't say that I ever feel hungry.
    Steph
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Water! I try to drink as much as I can. It keeps my stomach full. This way I find it actually pretty easy to stay under 1500 cals, mostly around 1300. Plus, it's good for your body. The more you drink, the more water you will lose.
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Choosing your food wisely! Eat slow-release carbs, like brown rice instead of white and granary bread instead of white bread. There are tonnes of articles on low-GI foods online.

Oats are really good in the morning – porridge or if, like me, you don't like porridge, try oatcakes with peanut butter and apple. I snack on a few nuts as they give me enough energy till lunch. Bananas are good. I find dinner harder, as it needs to be around 300-500 cals depending if I've done exercise or not. White fish or Quorn (meat substitute) are both low cals, and a big load of veggies or salad make it a meal.

Hope this helps!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    You can divide up your meals and eat 6 small ones 3 hours apart instead of 3 large ones, 6 hours apart. I prefer to keep snacks handy, like berries, baby carrots, grapes, and drink lots and lots of water.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    Ditto, I eat every 2-3 hours. I also make sure I get all my fiber for the day and I make sure each meal/snack has a balance of protein/carbs. Also, eatting lots of veggies (and some fruit) helps. They are low calorie and have fiber to help you feel full longer. I also make sure my food tastes good and has lots of herbs and spices (very little salt) so I enjoy eating what I eat as well. Not just choking it down "because I have to". I don't drink soda, but have now only been drinking water or unsweetened decaf tea. Hope that helps! Good luck!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    More fiber, more protein. 25g at least of fiber, and 30% protein.
  • DwightJenkins
    DwightJenkins Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I stopped calling it hunger pains... now they are hunger tickles and they are my friend.. they mean that some fat is packing it's bag and leaving town... silly perhaps, but it helps me..
  • emilyyoder
    Options
    I stopped calling it hunger pains... now they are hunger tickles and they are my friend.. they mean that some fat is packing it's bag and leaving town... silly perhaps, but it helps me..

This cracked me up!! I LOVE IT!! you made my day! :)
  • tsgna83
    tsgna83 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.... I need to drink more water!!

And hunger pains or "tickles" are NOT my friend... they make me feel sick!! :tongue:
  • resinite
    resinite Posts: 14
    Options
    By eating higher quantities of lower-calorie, nutrition-dense foods.
  • JUSTFORME2010
    JUSTFORME2010 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

I think this is so funny... Dwight you are so cute. And I read your post wow you have lost a lot of weight!!! What an inspiration to all of us. Keep up the great work.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Having protein in the morning helps keep you more full during the day.
  • κόσμος
    Options
    I was hungry a lot of yesterday, but I think a lot of it was boredom. I have a big issue with eating because I'm bored. Today, I have drank 4xs the amount of water (which was almost none yesterday) and I had breakfast with fiber in it. I eat every few hours still so that I'm never starving and don't end up stuffing my face. Today has gone much better than yesterday!
  • osupike35
    osupike35 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are how I stay full
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    I follow this rule at each meal:

1/4 protien
    1/4 whole grain
    1/2 vegetables, at least one green

I don't even have hunger tickles.
  • mooz
    mooz Posts: 101
    Options
    I'm not recommending this as a WOE for everyone....

Today, under doctor's supervision I switched to a low carb eating plan - so far my meals/snacks total 1388 calories. After lunch I was actually full. I haven't felt full in a LONG time.

I still have plenty of room [400 cals left for the day] if I want to eat something else later this evening after dinner.
  • kmulhollen
    kmulhollen Posts: 54
    Options
    Love your perspective. Thanks for the visual on the fat backing it's bag!
    :flowerforyou:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people have been posting that they cannot eat all their 1200 calories... I have the opposite problem! I find myself constantly hungry or thinking about food during the day. I am having trouble staying around 1200 calories per day... usually end up at 1500 or more (which is less than I used to eat before MFP).

Does anyone have any tips on moving towards a lower-calorie diet and less food intake while still staying safisfied?

Thanks!

I have found that if I have eggs for breakfast (omelette or scrambled) it sort of sets me up for the day, must be the protein in them. I can last four or five hours until lunch that way and I do not feel very hungry if I include some sort of protein in lunch and dinner either.