Interesting Read About Policy to monitor model weight

Options
bingefreeaubree
bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
As many of you know, some companies in the US are known for putting really skinny girls on the covers of their magazines, in fashion shows etc. Many of these girls/women are probably underweight. I read this article and found it interesting if anyone cares to read it; it's about a new policy in Israel in regards to choosing models:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2256025/Underweight-models-BANNED-Israel-fight-anorexia-New-law-forces-women-ads-stay-healthy-faked-images-identified-too.html

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    interesting I wonder if there will be a dip in sales. Isn't that the reason companies always say they use thin models because it's what sells?
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    hopefully they'll ban the overweight models too.

i hope the USA doesnt adopt any of this silliness.
  • chubaway
    chubaway Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    To me, one of the most important lines in the article was . . . "But critics have said the legislation should focus on health, not weight, because some models are naturally thin, and BMI does not take genetics into account."

Most of us know what crap BMI is.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    To me, one of the most important lines in the article was . . . "But critics have said the legislation should focus on health, not weight, because some models are naturally thin, and BMI does not take genetics into account."

yeah using BMI is not a good idea.
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options

yeah using BMI is not a good idea.

Yeah; it could probably even work in the opposite way since muscular girls that have beautiful shape and don't look overweight at all might just meet the overweight BMI. I think it's a good idea "against the war of eating disorders" but they're just going about it wrong.
  • Fit_Mama84
    Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options

That's the quote that got my attention too. And those genetic considerations should be taken into account before determining if someone is overweight as well. And they should also include muscle mass and metabolic health into the equation. BMI is so flawed people need to stop using it as a ruler to measure others with.