Weightlifting Shoes

Options
Any recommendations for weightlifting shoes? My son's feet hurt when lifting so I want to see about getting him some weightlifting shoes to see if that helps. He often just takes his shoes off, but I thought maybe some proper shoes would help the situation.

Replies

• Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    depends on the type of weightlifting

believe it or not one of the best all around lifting shoes is actually just a pair of chucks - you want anything with a flat solid sole that doesn't have much compression or rock to it (most running shoes aren't that best idea for squats/deads)

I use adipowers on squat days and vibrams on deadlift days and just a generic pair of gym shoes on other days (or the vibrams) - but you can honestly just wear chucks and do quite fine in my opinion.
  • Elektrolyfe
    Elektrolyfe Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Try some of the shoes from the inov-8 line, or a minimalist shoe.

I prefer to lift barefoot while dead lifting and squatting.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    +1 for the minimalist shoes and/or Chucks.

I want my feet in good contact with the ground.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    depends on the type of weightlifting

believe it or not one of the best all around lifting shoes is actually just a pair of chucks - you want anything with a flat solid sole that doesn't have much compression or rock to it (most running shoes aren't that best idea for squats/deads)

I use adipowers on squat days and vibrams on deadlift days and just a generic pair of gym shoes on other days (or the vibrams) - but you can honestly just wear chucks and do quite fine in my opinion.

Seconded.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    chucks or any low heeled shoe. i use a minimalist running shoe with a vibrams sole and they are fantastic.

buuuuut, what about lifting is making your kid's feet hurt. the reason we like certain shoes for lifting is because it gives us a more stable base, not because of foot discomfort or pain. i've lifted in every type of shoe, from running shoes with gigantic nike shox heels to basketball high tops to tennis shoes and comfort was never the issue, just the problem with the squishy soles sapping a bit of power from my lifts.

foot pain from lifting is highly unusual IMO and i'd look deeper into that before shelling out the shoe monies
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    chucks or any low heeled shoe. i use a minimalist running shoe with a vibrams sole and they are fantastic.

buuuuut, what about lifting is making your kid's feet hurt. the reason we like certain shoes for lifting is because it gives us a more stable base, not because of foot discomfort or pain. i've lifted in every type of shoe, from running shoes with gigantic nike shox heels to basketball high tops to tennis shoes and comfort was never the issue, just the problem with the squishy soles sapping a bit of power from my lifts.

foot pain from lifting is highly unusual IMO and i'd look deeper into that before shelling out the shoe monies

^ This.

Is your son ever barefoot other than while lifting?

As much as I love being barefoot and using minimalist shoes, the approach takes time to adjust to as the arch needs to strengthen.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

^ This.

Is your son ever barefoot other than while lifting?

As much as I love being barefoot and using minimalist shoes, the approach takes time to adjust to as the arch needs to strengthen.

Agree to both above...... Chucks or Vibram..... I am into my Vibram Komodosport LS right now... Love them....... Best of Luck
  • mtfr810
    mtfr810 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Bare feet! Our feet are not meant to have shoes on them. Weight training, running, etc should involve training your feet. If not bare, then minimal are possible!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I'm a five fingers fan
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I've heard the same thing, that Chucks are the best for lifting.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I wear chucks.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I forgot my chucks the other day so I took off my runners and just lifted in my sox.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Any recommendations for weightlifting shoes? My son's feet hurt when lifting so I want to see about getting him some weightlifting shoes to see if that helps. He often just takes his shoes off, but I thought maybe some proper shoes would help the situation.

Is he actually weightlifting, or just lifting weights?

If he is actually doing weightlifting, a pair of lifting shoes is essential, ideally he would have a chance to try them on first, but if that's not possible, from experience Adipowers, Romaloes, Do-Wins are all pretty decent and I've heard good things about Risto too, but never had any personal experience, or know anyone who has.

All the above said, I'm not sure how much difference this would make to foot pain, what's causing the pain, and what kind of pain is it?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I think I'll see if I can get him to try the chucks first and see if that helps. It's not like we're hardcore competition lifting or anything (yet).
  • biglifts
    Options
    Sigh... Chucks are not really a suitable lifting shoe for reasons pointed out in THIS article ---> http://wlshoes.com/what-are-weightlifting-shoes/

To answer your question, it depends on what is causing his feet to hurt. He may need orthotic inserts due to fallen or low arches.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I was having this problem too. Pain in my feet.
    Just bought some New Balance minimalist running shoes with a vibram. Hopefully that helps.

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Sigh... Chucks are not really a suitable lifting shoe for reasons pointed out in THIS article ---> http://wlshoes.com/what-are-weightlifting-shoes/

To answer your question, it depends on what is causing his feet to hurt. He may need orthotic inserts due to fallen or low arches.

Meh, the article doesn't really make the point that Chucks are not suitable, more of a "why specialized products are better". Chucks are fine. Cheap, available everywhere, and you can wear the to and from the gym (I like convenience).
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options

My heels used to hurt like crazy for a few weeks after deadlifts, but I found it was due to really tight calves. A couple long dates with my rumble roller and some downward dogs and they haven't hurt since.