Basic support

Options
Hi. How about sharing some basic stuff to support eachother? Anything that helps. Supportive words. Thoughts. For today... I am continuing to keep myself back on track after my holiday. I am making healthy food choices and doing some exercise to get myself back into the swing of things. Does anyone else have to really work at getting back to the plan after being away?

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,594 Member
    Options
    The best advice I have is to dive in on the forums. You’ll find all the above, throughout, if you take the time to read various threads.

Reading and participating here both educated me, propelled me to success, and has kept my feet on the ground during maintenance.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Yes, if I go off plan I have to push myself to get back. Sounds like you are doing great.
  • Goodgollygee
    Goodgollygee Posts: 102 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Thanks Lorib642. It helps to know I'm not the only one. Springlering62: Thanks! Is there a link so I can check it out!? Today, I plan to do some quilting so I will adjust my eating plan to make up for sitting more. Anyone else a quilter? Or into other crafts? Do you have to change things up on the days you do your arts?

• springlering62
    Options
    @Goodgollygee you’re already in the forums, simply by posting here or visiting this page.

You’ll find several main forum pages: introduce yourself, getting started, general, nutrition, exercise, success stories, motivation and more.

Click on any of them and you’ll find tons of threads. Some funny, some argumentative, most filled with helpful advice, and occasionally funny stuff.

To start a new thread of your own, click on the pencil at the top of the page, create a title and type your question or whatever. It’s pretty intuitive.

To “follow” a thread, click on the little star at top right of any thread, until star turns yellow. Next time you log in, click the notification “bell” at the top and it will show any responses to any threads you starred to follow.

When I started and was feeling overwhelmed, I found the Success Stories area particularly motivating, especially the really long one called NSVs (“non scale victories”). That one really helped put things in perspective during those week(s) when the scale didn’t move, and also helped me understand others were going through the same things I was: frustration, comments from others, being cold all the time, etc etc.

• springlering62
    Options
    Thanks Lorib642. It helps to know I'm not the only one. Springlering62: Thanks! Is there a link so I can check it out!? Today, I plan to do some quilting so I will adjust my eating plan to make up for sitting more. Anyone else a quilter? Or into other crafts? Do you have to change things up on the days you do your arts?

Oh and regarding crafts, I don’t adjust anything because I make sure I’m still getting movement and exercise in.

Handwork does, however, keep my hands away from my mouth when I watch tv after dinner, so there’s that!

One odd thing is, if you’re an Apple Watch user, it picks up crochet (and presumably knitting) as steps. I got 40,000+ “steps” in one time while on an international flight.

I also do hand beading and needlepoint. For whatever reason it doesn’t pick that up like it does crochet. I guess I’m a very vi-gor-ous (as we’d say down south) crocheter?

YMMV as a quilter, or if you’re using another device.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,568 Member
    Options

Oh and regarding crafts, I don’t adjust anything because I make sure I’m still getting movement and exercise in.

Handwork does, however, keep my hands away from my mouth when I watch tv after dinner, so there’s that!

One odd thing is, if you’re an Apple Watch user, it picks up crochet (and presumably knitting) as steps. I got 40,000+ “steps” in one time while on an international flight.

I also do hand beading and needlepoint. For whatever reason it doesn’t pick that up like it does crochet. I guess I’m a very vi-gor-ous (as we’d say down south) crocheter?

My Apple Watch doesn’t pick up knitting as steps. Just FYI.
    I am a continental/picker (vs English/thrower), and I wear my watch on my left wrist - which is the less active hand with my knitting style.

• springlering62
    Options

My Apple Watch doesn’t pick up knitting as steps. Just FYI.
    I am a continental/picker (vs English/thrower), and I wear my watch on my left wrist - which is the less active hand with my knitting style.

🤦🏻‍♀️ You know, I never thought of that. I’m right handed but wear my apple watch on my right hand, which is the dominant, moving hand if you’re a right handed crocheter.

Have always worn my watch on my right hand, back to the days of elementary school when it was easier to surreptitiously check the time when bored in school.
  • Goodgollygee
    Goodgollygee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks Springlering62. Now I get it. Also...giggling about your step-crochetting. I have an old school pedometer and it seems to ignore my quilting. No bonus steps for me. I was reading the NSV thread before I started this one. Yes!! That's a good one!

Something that is helping me to stick to it are my daily affirmations. I started doing them religiously and I find they really are helping me to stay focused and to think positively. Does anyone else use affirmations? What do you tell yourself? (if you feel like sharing).