Lost with exercise tracking

Options
CMBHAM
CMBHAM Posts: 7 Member
Like many others, I just returned to MFP with the end of SparkPeople. On SP, I was able to log 25 minutes of strength training as just that--strength training (body weight). But all I can find when I try to log my daily physical therapy routine are specific exercises which don't exactly fit what I'm doing. I did choose a few that were close, but they didn't track time or calories, so it looks like I haven't done anything today.

I did track the activity on GoogleFit which is connected to MFP, but it didn't come over--does that only work for steps and not activities?

And if I may ask one more question: why do I get the message that no challenges are available to me? Are those only for premium members?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,847 Member
    Options
    CMBHAM wrote: »
    Like many others, I just returned to MFP with the end of SparkPeople. On SP, I was able to log 25 minutes of strength training as just that--strength training (body weight). But all I can find when I try to log my daily physical therapy routine are specific exercises which don't exactly fit what I'm doing. I did choose a few that were close, but they didn't track time or calories, so it looks like I haven't done anything today.

I did track the activity on GoogleFit which is connected to MFP, but it didn't come over--does that only work for steps and not activities?

And if I may ask one more question: why do I get the message that no challenges are available to me? Are those only for premium members?

Log your strength training in the "Cardiovascular" part of MFP, to get calories for it. Use the "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" entry if you're doing normal reps/sets with brief rests between sets. Use "Circuit training, general" if you're doing a sequence of exercises, alternating them but moving mostly continuously. Another possibility, if doing bodyweight exercises, would be one of the "Calisthenics" entries.

I don't use GoogleFit, or synch my Garmin to MFP. With most trackers, the main thing that happens is a calorie adjustment. Some of them also will bring across specific workouts, or steps, but the calorie adjustment is the main mechanism for most. I hope someone who uses GoogleFit will come along and tell you exactly how that one should work. If not, you might want to post a separate question mentioning GoogleFit in the title.

There are a couple of kinds of challenges here. Some are part of the menu items in the app. Some of those are available to non-premium members (maybe all of them, not sure). When I look right now, I don't see any challenges in that area that are happening right now.

The other kind of challenges are the ones that members create and participate in. There are bunches of different kinds of those, all the time. You can find them in the Challenges part of the Community. Here's a direct link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/challenges

Usually, the first post of the challenge will talk about what it is, and how to join in.

Best wishes!
  • CMBHAM
    CMBHAM Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I appreciate it.