McDonald's triple cheeseburger

Options
Why is it when I search for known foods such as a McDonald's item I get multiple different calorie counts, I know different countries have their own ingredients but I get multiple results for the UK for My triple cheeseburger.

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Partly because some are old and McDonalds will change their sizes and recipes through time.
    I’m sure some of them are just wrong—user entered, user made a mistake.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    The database here is user-pooled so the calorie amounts that do not have green check-marks next to them are just an entry that someone put in (maybe they got it from the restaurants website, or not, etc.). I try to choose the ones that have a check-mark next to them or the ones that say 'CORRECTED' or "CORRECT".

But also know that the nutritional info for a fast food restaurant is based on their recipe, which the workers may or may not be sticking to strictly.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,437 Member
    Options
    The database here is user-pooled so the calorie amounts that do not have green check-marks next to them are just an entry that someone put in (maybe they got it from the restaurants website, or not, etc.). I try to choose the ones that have a check-mark next to them or the ones that say 'CORRECTED' or "CORRECT".

But also know that the nutritional info for a fast food restaurant is based on their recipe, which the workers may or may not be sticking to strictly.

Even most of the green-checked ones are user-entered. It's just that enough other people checked a box saying that the database entry was correct, after some other user entered the item in the first place.

The ones that were loaded to the system at start-up by MFP are the ones with crazy bureaucratic-sounding names (that came from USDA), such as "tomatoes, red, ripe, raw, year round average" or "chicken, stewing, giblets, cooked, simmered"; most often the default quantity is in cups (even when that's absurd), but the drop down quantities then usually include both weight and volume measures, sometimes sizes or counts. They *don't* say "USDA" in the title; any that do are user entered.

IME, the ones that say "CORRECT" aren't materially more likely to be correct than others. This is a stretch, but if any in my experience are more likely to be accurate, it's ones that have a title that is complete and precisely worded exactly like the product label, with proper spelling and capitalization of each word. Maybe it's that precision-oriented people are more likely to type the titles precisely? Still no guarantee, just a tendency, and just in my opinion . . . and still could be correct in some other country, or at some other time, but not in my country at this time. 🤷‍♀️