Brown Linseed (Flaxseed) cyanogenic glycosides, upset tum?

Options
Hi, I am new here , I have started taking a couple of TB-spns of Brown Linseed (Flaxseed) (whole) with my breakfast to get my "good fats" and fibre up. Is anyone else using this? , what do you guys think? I am interested in hearing personal experiences , don't just google me some facts ( I can do that!) :)
I have read it is more digestible when it is crushed , so I may do that to it. Any help appreciated. Add me as a friend if you like I am keen to talk with anyone.

Replies

• colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    i sprinkle a little on my oatmeal in the morning, can't say i've really noticed anything different in my health or anything but i do it for the same reason you do, get my healthy fats up. it is definitely supposed to be more healthy crushed, i have a coffee grinder that works great for this.
  • lsegatti
    lsegatti Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I used to use flaxseed oil about 12 years ago, I have since switched over to more Fish oil and Co Q 10 rice bran oils. I can tell you for the first few months that I did the flaxseed oil, I gained 5 pounds. Once I cut it back to one a day not three a day.....my weight stablized.

The one thing that does cause me a little stomach upset is the vitamin D 3 pills....not sure why I do not digest them well, so I do them before bed to avoid that during the day.

Best of luck....be strict with your journaling and recording of symptoms as you progress through your journey. Your system will tell you what to do if you listen carefully!
  • Cyliesmom
    Cyliesmom Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It is my understanding that they are not meant to be consumed whole. I buy them whole and grind enough for a few days, I use coffee grinder as was mentioned. I sprinkle on my oatmeal every morning, or add to a shake. Have done this for about 6 years.
  • juli_bennett
    Options
    I bought some organic, ground flaxseeds from my local market, in addition to organic, Chia seeds. I added 2 tablespoons of each to my yogurt and have had the most painful stomach ache of my adult life for the last two days! I know, I know, that wasn't the smartest decision to make, trying two, new health foods at the same time, in those quantities, so now I don't know which one upset my stomach...any suggestions on how I should carefully add these foods to my diet in a way that wont cause such stomach pain?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new here , I have started taking a couple of TB-spns of Brown Linseed (Flaxseed) (whole) with my breakfast to get my "good fats" and fibre up. Is anyone else using this? , what do you guys think? I am interested in hearing personal experiences , don't just google me some facts ( I can do that!) :)
    I have read it is more digestible when it is crushed , so I may do that to it. Any help appreciated. Add me as a friend if you like I am keen to talk with anyone.

ALA to EPA/DHA conversion in humans is pretty crappy...
  • thesifter
    thesifter Posts: 107 Member
    Options

ALA to EPA/DHA conversion in humans is pretty crappy...
    Heya thanks ACG , on further reading, agree. Damn your photo difference between not ripped and cut like a cut thing is inspiring.
  • thesifter
    thesifter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It is my understanding that they are not meant to be consumed whole. I buy them whole and grind enough for a few days, I use coffee grinder as was mentioned. I sprinkle on my oatmeal every morning, or add to a shake. Have done this for about 6 years.

I put them through a coffee grinder, now i don't see them the next day. (too much info?) :)